Ram 1500 battery dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
As you pointed out, others have given great advice but you didn't.

@omnisap DO NOT disconnect the positive first. If you do happen to short the positive to something metal, bad things can and probably will happen. Unfortunately your wrench will pass the entire current capacity of the battery unlike a fuse that will burn open.
ALWAYS disconnect the ground first and reconnect after the positive is connected.
To each is own...People like you are one reason I don't post. Let's see, you by far could have more experience than I... But, after 35 years as a fighter jet / aircraft mechanic / supervisor... All of my repairs on planes and autos - - you disconnect the positive first. Why? Later I'd be happy to spell it out of needed.

You do not have to agree with me - - more importantly you don't either have to point out how you think I'm wrong. Just maybe we are of different thoughts...

Thanks STKR

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you go back to where you bought the truck and talk to them about your fun trip and let them know that they are stupid?

We did call them and let them know what happened. They are 90 miles away and are a Ford dealer. I am sure they couldn’t care less as they already have our money. Our local Chrysler dealer, that we took the truck to the morning after we purchased it and it failed to start, also said they checked everything over and found no issues. I did stop by to let the service writer know what happened on our trip. She apologized for our troubles and indicated there may be another issue other than the battery. She also indicated we should have contacted a local dealer. I told her we were in a remote area on Sunday at 3pm and the Oreilly’s store close by was in a town of 6K people so we didn’t have a lot of options. The truck has started flawlessly since installing the battery.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
To each is own...People like you are one reason I don't post. Let's see, you by far could have more experience than I... But, after 35 years as a fighter jet / aircraft mechanic / supervisor... All of my repairs on planes and autos - - you disconnect the positive first. Why? Later I'd be happy to spell it out of needed.

You do not have to agree with me - - more importantly you don't either have to point out how you think I'm wrong. Just maybe we are of different thoughts...

Thanks STKR

I'd like to hear about this theory of yours to,as I always disconnect the negative first when disconnecting and connect the positive first on re-connection.Clue me into why you think that's wrong

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

People like me that correct bad infromation?
The fact you have to state how long you have been an aircraft mechanic just goes to show...oh yeah nothing, especially since you've decided not to counter with the reason why you think pulling the positive first is correct.
You pull the positive lead off first on positive ground systems and on airframes anything fed from a power buss(those are over current protected and leaving the ground attached lowers the potential for sparking).
When it comes to batteries, pulling the grounded terminal first eliminates the possibility of shorting out the battery. Every FCA repair procedure requiring the battery to be disconnected states to pull the negitive.
It's not a matter of a different thought, it's matter of safety.

Nick Redmond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys,

My 2014 Dodge ram 1500 sport battery totally died today morning. First i gave a power boost and it lasted me for 3 weeks. Again it happened last night & i again power boosted and worked fine, but today morning it died again. Am sure is the battery.

Do you guys suggest any good place to buy battery in Calgary? Any specifications? What size rachet and socket do i need to replace the battery?

Sorry am not a handy guy and just learning. Appreciate your time guys.

L

I’ve got optima yellow tops in my truck and a tractor and have never had a problem with them. Don’t buy a duralast gold battery’s I’ve went trough 4 of them this year that we’re bought last year.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Guys,

My 2014 Dodge ram 1500 sport battery totally died today morning. First i gave a power boost and it lasted me for 3 weeks. Again it happened last night & i again power boosted and worked fine, but today morning it died again. Am sure is the battery.

Do you guys suggest any good place to buy battery in Calgary? Any specifications? What size rachet and socket do i need to replace the battery?

Sorry am not a handy guy and just learning. Appreciate your time guys.

L
hi ya mine did that went to wallmart got 5 year one 995 amps turns over so fast but did go down once setting three weeks charge went to wallmart tested free still ok but the other one made it three years wallmart just replace it free nice right so get like 4 to 5 years you are ok with them nice right !

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’ve got optima yellow tops in my truck and a tractor and have never had a problem with them. Don’t buy a duralast gold battery’s I’ve went trough 4 of them this year that we’re bought last year.
I have the same optima yellow top-7yrs and still strong!!

Nick Redmond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same optima yellow top-7yrs and still strong!![/ that’s awesome! Mine is 4 years old and still just as strong as the day I bought it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoveltuski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 double cab shortbox
Engine
4.7L v8
The everstart from Walmart is a great choice Since it is made by Johnstone supply they are the same company that’s behind Interstate batteries.
I Personally refuse to buy ANY lead acid batteries any longer, since discovering an easy way to de-sulfate the lead sheets inside w/ epsome salt & baking soda. That sulfate later is why the voltage drops over time, or when left uncharged for long periods. Pour 3/4 gallon distilled water & 1/2 cup baking soda in after emptying old acid. Be careful & use eye protection! Repeat w/ epsomsalt solution. Shake around & pour out repeat Until sulfates break up & come out...Then replace w/ 60% distilled water & 40% sulfuric acid (buy industrial drain cleaner “liquid lightning” @ Walmart For $10). Do that your Good as new usually lasts 5-6 years b4 having to repeat the process

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered another Odyssey 94R 850cca and 1500 CA for the first 5 seconds of cranking . This one is for my daughters 2014 . I used to buy the Sears Platinum which came from the same parent company as Odyssey which is EnerSys. The original battery is still working fine but its getting a littler cooler here in the northeast and I will sleep better knowing she has the best battery I know of for a sensible price.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
My brother-in-law just installed a X2Power premium AGM from Batteries Plus in his 2015 yesterday. He said the truck cranks over significantly better than oem and all lights are brighter. Paid $270 with a 5 year warranty. Curious, what are people paying for Odyssey?

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both of mine were 245 plus tax each and I will get 25 back when I bring in the core through Autozone . It has to be ordered ,its not something they stock .

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Presuming you don't have a tester (even a multi-meter)... before you jump to the conclusion of "battery", check also alternator, and the battery cables. The cables check for fastening on the battery posts, as well as their other anchor end.

Long story short i had an 05 that i had to move for a job overseas real quick and was having a friend ship it to me later, and it wouldn't start. He bought a new battery - at my expense - drove it to my other friend (who was doing the shipping) and the next morning my next friend said the brand new battery was as falt dead as the "bad" one was yesterday... sold it to a third friend as a junker, he told me later it was bad batt cables. nothing was wrong with either batt.

I'm pretty sure if i was bak home i coulda solved that myself but being long-distance plus busy with new job.... it is what it is....

Shoveltuski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 double cab shortbox
Engine
4.7L v8
Did anybody suggest a trickle charger with a desulfator? Having one of these around is handy, and can often rejuvenate an older battery. I started connecting my truck batteries up to one 2-3 times a year and got another 1.5 years out of my very old batteries. Finally am just replacing them.