Ram 1500 can I add factory brake controller after the fact?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I bought my 2017 1500 never expecting to tow ... much less across country. I have the Ram hitch and tow/haul switch but I didn’t get the factory electric brake controller in the dash.

My main question: Can I add the factory brake controller to the empty slot in the dash?

Please only reply if you “know.”

E0BE37F6-B194-4DC5-9B62-0D2059DB4CE8.jpeg

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes you can. It's not just the switch though, there is also a control module that mounts behind the dash.

To make it work, you will have to have the dealership enable it.

2017 Lonestar CC Brilliant Black Pearl

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked on doing this to our 2014 Laramie a couple of years ago and dealer price was about $500 out the door. Our 2018 has the brake controller already, just wish it had tow mirrors too.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
So i just picked up tow mirrors for my 2015 truck, doing the folding mirror upgrade next week. The brake controller idea has crossed my mind also. Without the controller, and pulling a trailer with trailer brakes, how do they get activated? Is the slide button inside just a convince to engage the trailer first if you want? such as swinging trailer.

OP
OP
NikNak

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes you can. It's not just the switch though, there is also a control module that mounts behind the dash.

2017 Lonestar CC Brilliant Black Pearl
“Enable” or “install” it?
I understand that the controller would be behind the dash & the slide buttons are the only thing visible. That’s the clean look I want instead of a bolt-on unit.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

“Enable” or “install” it?
I understand that the controller would be behind the dash & the slide buttons are the only thing visible. That’s the clean look I want instead of a bolt-on unit.

You can buy the ITBM kit for your truck and install it yourself. Contact the forum vendor @AllMoparParts.com to buy the kit.
You can either have the dealer enable it or do that yourself with AlfaOBD. You can find out how on the first post of the AlfaOBD thread: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/
Depending on the dealer, it will cost you about the same to have them enable it vs using AlfaOBD, general consensus has the dealers charging an hour labor approx$150. AlfaOBD can not only enable options but can be used as a diagnostic tool to troubleshoot problems with the truck

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i just picked up tow mirrors for my 2015 truck, doing the folding mirror upgrade next week. The brake controller idea has crossed my mind also. Without the controller, and pulling a trailer with trailer brakes, how do they get activated? Is the slide button inside just a convince to engage the trailer first if you want? such as swinging trailer.
Without a controller electric brakes will do nothing. You can either install and activate the integrated controller or buy a separate one and wire it in. I plan to install the integrated controller if I ever get a trailer with electric brakes. My current trailer has surge brakes so no controller needed.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
@CamperMike surge brakes, seem like another alternative. Mine does NOT have that. Looks like another mod for me. Damm getting this truck ready to to is getting pricy.

Anyone know where the 2 connectors are by the column? I will look today. It seems to be required before adding it possible.

found it, theres a vid link in another post.
Here ia a good video for installing the factory unit. Worth watching before you decide.

Here are the install instructions.
http://moparonlineparts.com/docs/82215040.pdf

Last edited:

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@CamperMike surge brakes, seem like another alternative. Mine does NOT have that. Looks like another mod for me. Damm getting this truck ready to to is getting pricy.
I would prefer electric brakes as you have better control than with surge brakes. I wouldn't change from one to the other though unless the brakes are broken.
Surge brakes used to be common on boat trailers due to the water they deal with but even make boat trailers now have electric brakes as manufactures have found ways to avoid issues with the water.

OP
OP
NikNak

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Anyone know where the 2 connectors are by the column? I will look today. It seems to be required before adding it possible.

OP
OP
NikNak

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

That’s a huge help!

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
so this is the big question... looking at different kits online. amazon / ebay / mopar. i get mixed comments. some mention 16-18 and classic 19 some say will work on 15 and yet the mopar site shows 09-19.... controller part number looks same, brackets look same... switch looks same... any thoughts anyone why the year differences? Anyone know for for sure any 4th gen year will work?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Ram made some changes with the electrical system starting with the '15s as they are usually more picky about what works.
Avoid the Doorman brand that I've read some have bought from RockAuto as they have not had much luck getting it to enable them without errors.

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the Mopar brake controller in my 2017 1500. There are several videos on utube that show you how. Not all that hard. The hardest part is installing the 3rd screw in the control module. The guy in the video didnt install his and I didn't install mine. Won't cause a problem. It cost me $67.50 to have dealer turn it on. I later bought the towing mirrors and found out I could install them and program them myself using the ALFAobd. Wish I had that before installing the brakes. Could have saved the $67.50.