Ram 1500 Dreadful service expierence continued issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darcz32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone. I'm writing up with questions and a bit of background as well. I'm noticing corrosion on my 2018 Ram Sport hood(By the driver headlight) there is no chips in the paint and the corrosion starts from behind. I noticed this when looking into the code for my grill shutter (u11e9)..
Now this issue is simple if brought to the dealer I'm sure. I'm wondering how easy it is to change dealers? And perhaps if I can have some backup from Ram. Now here's the background of my terrible expierence and something making it hard to want another one.

I bought the truck a few months ago. When I bought it it had leaking headlights. I didn't notice this. Perhaps I should of but expected this to be a non-issue coming from a dealer.(the lights were hacked apart bad) After they hummed and hawwed to fix my lights and gave me every excuse in the book of how it wasnt their fault they did. Free of charge. Now this was fishy because I expected to be paying a bit for it. Got it home and noticed the front grill wasn't in all the clips.. so I proceeded to fix that the right way. Figured the dealer could but I guess not. (They scratched my bumper in the process. Of doing it wrong) when. I got the grill off I noticed that there was about 15 washer instead of the allignment screw.(on the drivers side) I had called the dealer to ask what was up with it. Their response was they were giving the ok to do so and that since the vehicle was in a minor accident (on the passenger side)
They needed to do that. First off the screw clips on the headlight so it was removed off the old one then added to the new. Second off this is the opposite side. So that was a full blown lie. I told them I took pictures then the tone changed and he was no longer meant to do that. I don't trust this dealer at all and am uncertain if I trust any at this point. I have 40k and 2 yrs left of warranty and I don't even trust to use it. I live in Halifax Nova scotia

Screenshot_20210610-151450_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210610-151356_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210610-151350_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210610-151310_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210610-151316_Gallery.jpg

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All dealers lie to absolve themselves of any and all liability.

I would be curious to find out what they call a minor accident to have the headlights fit that poorly.

Did they disclose to you that this truck was in an accident before you bought it?

OP
OP
D

Darcz32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I recieved the Carfax before buying it. The damage was on the passenger side and the washers were on the drivers. The accident was used as an excuse for something most teens would do to their Honda. I'm done and over that issue. More concerned about the corrosion but am unsure of the quality work I should expect to receive if I bring it to another dealer. Or what damage I'll end up with. The old headlights were modified by the last owner and would of been blamed on me had I not gotten into contact with him. The headlight fit perfectly aswell. Nothing is bent or twisted once so ever. It seemed like a spiteful move to me as there would of been no difference to put the propper new bolt on. My guess is their mechanic wrecked that one and they decided to just fix it with washers. The side with the washers had no impact once so ever.

OP
OP
D

Darcz32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And also the grill being just set on-top of the bumper then bolted in is disgusting. It scratched the top of it.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately this kind of stuff is the norm from most dealers.

Quality work is hard to come by (in anything).

Since this is warranty work, most likely covered by the dealer itself, they will do as little, as fast as possible to make you go away.

I don't think another dealer will touch it (warranty wise) since it has been in an accident and was sold to you by a different dealer.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You can use any dealer you desire, good luck finding competent honest ones.

OP
OP
D

Darcz32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok thank you,I figure the lights are a lost cause. More so focused on the new engine code and the bubbles in the hood. Just giving back story of why I want to take it to a differnt dealer. Here is a pic of the corrosion started. And the code it was throwing is for the grill. Just don't trust the dealer I bought it from to attack these two new issues

20210610_073319.jpg

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Our team is sorry to hear about this @Darcz32. Should you decide to address these concerns with a new dealer, do let us know. We would like to offer our support alongside a dealer appointment. Feel free to send us a PM to get started!

Hannah
Ram Cares

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The edges around the hood and lights are where paint chips occur easily. Possibly what happened is that the repair shop painted that area during the damage repair but failed to properly fix the rust. Not sure what recourse you have other than take it to a repair shop in your own and have them go through the original repairs and catalogue what is wrong since it sounds like things are not right, then have it all fixed including the rust, although it is next to impossible to get a permanent fix without just replacing the panel. If you can find who repaired it and it is the dealer. Maybe they will do something for you.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good lord thats hacked up. Are you sure the lights are OEM? Could be why they are leaking...

shmedley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue with my paint, but mine was in the middle of the driver side fender along with the hood.
The dealer took pictures and then never heard back from them. I would go back in and ask if any news and they were like "we have no record of you and this issue" I even brought it up when I would go for an oil change and made a few trips there just for that reason.
This happened a few times over about a year. Took getting the regional manager info and taking that to the dealer for them do do anything about it.

When they finally fixed it, they canceled my lifetime warranty with no reasons or any reimbursement or anything. This was the only issue i took it to the dealer for in like 4 years since I had the 3rd battery put in it when it was 3 years old

OP
OP
D

Darcz32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hood wasn't touched during the repair or accident. Just the bumper. Buddy knicked the other car. The hoods aluminum so painting it will just mask the issue until the corrosion wears through.

And they were OEM. The pictures with the washers are after they put the new ones in. They did a half ass job installing the new ones and argued with me of why it wasn't their fault they bought a truck with hacked apart headlights. My side of the argument was I didn't go to the dealer to buy a hacked up modified truck. Eventually got them both replaced. I now have two new lights that aren't installed with propper hardware at all but I can deal with that part. And I put the grill back in how it should of been in the first place (with the clips actually clipped in)

OP
OP
D

Darcz32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shmedley, the same attitude I have gotten from mine. I'm only giving the bits and pieces. The full story involves me going in to argue back and forth for 2 hours. If I hadn't of had the original owners number I would been on the hook for something they should of caught on to. And like I say the truck ended up how it did. If it was private sale of course but it wasn't. And the older models came with the blacked out lights like this had. I'm going to give this hood a try because I have the lifetime corrosion warranty and a 3 yr old truck shouldn't be bubbling under the paint. See what comes back from it and decide what my next truck will be from there. Managed to get the engine light to stay out for now. But a guy I work with also had the same code

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Shmedley, the same attitude I have gotten from mine. I'm only giving the bits and pieces. The full story involves me going in to argue back and forth for 2 hours. If I hadn't of had the original owners number I would been on the hook for something they should of caught on to. And like I say the truck ended up how it did. If it was private sale of course but it wasn't. And the older models came with the blacked out lights like this had. I'm going to give this hood a try because I have the lifetime corrosion warranty and a 3 yr old truck shouldn't be bubbling under the paint. See what comes back from it and decide what my next truck will be from there. Managed to get the engine light to stay out for now. But a guy I work with also had the same code

Is it possible the accident was worse than you were told it was ? Sounds like it wasn't put back together properly and used cheapest possibly used parts and then traded.

OP
OP
D

Darcz32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible the accident was worse than you were told it was ? Sounds like it wasn't put back together properly and used cheapest possibly used parts and then traded.

No I ended up getting a hold of the original owner through a mutual FB friend recognizing the truck and giving me his name. This is Chryslers wonderful work with all the clips off and the washers. Before it went to them all the clips were in. Like I say that bolt with the washers is on a removable clip. Opposite side from the side it was banged on. Lights were hacked up to be painted inside. Should of been replaced before going on the lot for the price I paid. Or went to auction like they assured me it would of if there was any issues at all. I'm the kinda guy who obsesses of dents from leaning on it so nothing goes unnoticed for me. The panels were in propperly before I took it to them for the headlight work because it was a real shop that painted the bumper. Once the warranty is up it'll never roll on one of their yards again

OP
OP
D

Darcz32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I ended up getting a hold of the original owner through a mutual FB friend recognizing the truck and giving me his name. This is Chryslers wonderful work with all the clips off and the washers. Before it went to them all the clips were in. Like I say that bolt with the washers is on a removable clip. Opposite side from the side it was banged on. Lights were hacked up to be painted inside. Should of been replaced before going on the lot for the price I paid. Or went to auction like they assured me it would of if there was any issues at all. I'm the kinda guy who obsesses of dents from leaning on it so nothing goes unnoticed for me. The panels were in propperly before I took it to them for the headlight work because it was a real shop that painted the bumper. Once the warranty is up it'll never roll on one of their yards again

Also this happend while getting my replacement headlight out on. I put the grille back in properly and in doing so noticed the washers. I could put my finger under the grille on one side and it was touching on the other. Now that the clips are in she sits perfect. I don't know if Id rather it being a honest mistake or carelessness to be completely honest..

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Lesson. = Avoid dealers if at all possible.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I had a 2014 explorer and 2 years into owning it the hood did the exact what your truck is and was never hit. The body shop fixed it and within 6 months it was back. The issue with alum is if something happen during the manufacturing process there is no real good way to fix it. The truck needed a new hood, ford refused to replace it and for me to replace it, it was almost 2K for parts, paint and labor. Needless to say now I own a Ram. Only way to know is they need to take the paint past that point and see if the oxidation is spreading.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
The hood bubbling is normal and our ram hoods are actually aluminum If I'm correct. Not steel. The issue is water collects at the front and sits (It can't drain out) so the water sits and sits and the aluminum corrodes and then you get bubbles on the outside. Once it starts there is nothing you can do! I had this on my 14 express and it was very upsetting bc I was a fanatic at keeping the truck clean. On my 2018 Laramie I knew the issue so I sprayed fluid film into the hood openings to try and get as much of that stuff in there. It will last for along time and prevent any rust in the future. On my 2014 it was a lease and the bubbles showed up within 3 years. On my 2018 I'm past the lease period and closer to 4 years and no bubbles as of yet.

Your headlights looked hacked up either in fixing them or perhaps they tried to retrofit them?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Steel hoods are available for our trucks,at a substantial savings over the aluminum ones.