Ram 2010 5.7 Hemi suddenly dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, I have a 2010 5.7 L Hemi that has suddenly died on me twice. The first things that happened was a lack of power. Pressed on the accelerator and nothing happened. This has happened twice and no codes were thrown. But it was very hot out, like 100 degrees. Then the truck suddenly died after driving for 6 hrs. It was also very hot out. Check engine light came on that linked to O2 sensors and cat converter. I replaced the 02 sensors. Two days later the truck suddenly died after driving for 2 hrs. Also hot - 99 degrees. Fuel filter is clean and oil is topped off. Any ideas? I have no idea what to do.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Can you hear the fuel pump when it dies. Fuel pumps are notrious for giving trouble on real hot days,especially if the tank is down on fuel. Might not be your issue,but if it quits on you again,try swatting the bottom of the tank a couple good ones,if it starts back up,the pump might be your issue

OP
OP
R

RAM28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey, I can't hear the fuel pump. When it died yesterday I had 3/4 of a tank. :/

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
agree with @Wild one about fuel pump. Also just because you can hear the fuel pump that just means you have power to it but does not mean it is pumping. Could be on it's way out. The pump motor could have contaminants stuck in it hence why giving it a couple good wacks may bring it back to life(temporarily). I had this happen on my previous 2002 Ram and it temporarily fixed it for a couple months before the pump all out died. Change out the pump and fuel filter while at it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hot air has less o2, you can check air filter and clean up air lines, use a low restrictive filter, you using high octane gas? The only thing that gives me pause is the two hour deal, usually your truck adjusts to the low o2 environment, so this usually happens early on a drive and not two hours, but still something to consider.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Should be cleaned every 15k miles, or at least inspected, how long has it been? Its not plugs, but how many miles on these plugs?