Ram 2500 8.0 V10 issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cliffordthe6Stick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
Hello! I recently bought the 2500 about a month ago and during a 500 mile trip I was on, a weird issue came up. When I give it gas, it bucks around about 1-4 times and goes back to normal. It does the same thing pretty often when I let off the gas. If I can keep the gas pedal in a steady position it tends to be ok.
I figured the u-joints had gone bad on the driveshaft, but I took it to a mechanic today and that's not what it was, apparently, and he didn't figure it out himself.
No codes have been thrown. I've been trying to diagnose it myself but to no avail.
Any thoughts/experience with this would be very appreciated, thanks.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Are you saying like the motor is getting/losing fuel, or there is a mechanical hold up that is making the truck wander around?

OP
OP
Cliffordthe6Stick

Cliffordthe6Stick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
It seems it's a mechanical issue causing clunking/bucking when pressing/releasing the gas pedal. It isn't the steering, but it sounds like it comes from somewhere between the engine and transmission and sorta feels like a misfire, but no check engine lights are on. It's pretty hard to describe well. I took it to a shop today, so hopefully they'll find something out.

OP
OP
Cliffordthe6Stick

Cliffordthe6Stick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
Are you saying like the motor is getting/losing fuel, or there is a mechanical hold up that is making the truck wander around?
Hey, so I figured you'd like to know what the issue was:
The throttle body or idle air control valve was dirty! My mechanic said to pull them out and clean them, and whaddya know, it worked! Just a $9 fix!

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Awesome. I was going to say that I had to replace the throttle position sensor on mine...but it kicked a code...but the issues were the same.

I had cleaned everything up a few weeks before it finally went...having a similar situation like you

I was towing our Travel trailer up the mountain to camp when mine went. That was fun...driving a stick shift that wouldnt keep idle in neutral and you couldnt modulate the throttle. Had to find the spot it worked and shift without moving the throttle.

OP
OP
Cliffordthe6Stick

Cliffordthe6Stick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
Awesome. I was going to say that I had to replace the throttle position sensor on mine...but it kicked a code...but the issues were the same.

I had cleaned everything up a few weeks before it finally went...having a similar situation like you

I was towing our Travel trailer up the mountain to camp when mine went. That was fun...driving a stick shift that wouldnt keep idle in neutral and you couldnt modulate the throttle. Had to find the spot it worked and shift without moving the throttle.
Yeah, I thought about buying a new IACV and TPS, but I called all the parts stores nearby and none had them, would've had to be special ordered. I'm glad it was just the dirty IACV!

That sounds kinda scary. Way to add some adventure to a camping trip haha. My situation was a little more manageable than yours I think!