Ram 2500 junk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My former 2003 2500 has 150k miles, most towing 5th wheel, regular campers, and large boats all over the eastern half of the country. It has climbed mountains through NY, NE, PA, NC, and other states more times than I can count, and still going strong for parents who have it now. I am just one person, but I have never been let down yet, knock on wood. I don't push it past it's max, I compensate by lowering accessories weight if traveling in mountains, and keep maintenance up to date. On my third Ram now and believe the them to be reliable throughout. Key thing for me is I don't ever buy used trucks, I see how people abuse them sometimes. So that may be the unfortunate circumstance for the OP.

True story, public place out in the country where trucks came all the time to 4-wheel. One guy showed up every so often in a different truck. Finally found out he worked for a dealership and when a 4wd came in on trade he took it for the weekend to see what it could do. That was when I stopped buying used vehicles.

I used to buy new out of necessity - I was on a budget. But even then I knew I was buying a potential problem, because it is common knowledge, at least around here, that dealers take the 'good' used cars out on the weekends just because they can. Kid needs a nice car for prom? Take a used one. Need to impress family? Take a used one. Happens all the time and nothing is going to change.

OP
OP
B

Big red 15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Quick update. The inspector finally came out about a week after the dealership requested him. Took the truck for a test drive and stated it didn’t need a transmission. The dealer then pulled the pan and he changed his mind. Just waiting on the authorization ( which has been another week so far). I’ve been doing some research here and see a lot of people installing thermal bypass valves (ATS or Rev Max )in line with their trans coolers . Has anyone installed the one made by Mishimoto? It still retains a thermostat but offers a higher flow than stock, or the option for full flow. Living in upstate NY and having to drive in freezing temps in the winter, I’m not quite sold on full flow.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Did the ATS early on say 30K? Temps in 110+ outside air were well over 200 plus.
after install were 150 -175 even when towing.Heat kills transmissions.

heres my post in another thread
66rfe transmission temp report after the ATS Thermal bypass install:
Details of the my install here, Post # 19:https://www.ramforum.com/threads/transmission-service-66rfe.143721/page-2

Temps before, install, unloaded driving , 174 degrees, air temp didn't matter much.
Temps extended idling in 108 degree outside air, 200 degrees.
Temps after Install, unloaded driving any outside temp above 90, between 150 -160 degrees.
TOWING, 4500 LB BOAT, Yesterday 113 degrees air temp tow haul on, hilly, 60 -70 mph
160 degrees in the flats, passing and up hill 165- 168.
Definitively keeps the temps lower.
If you start at lower temps it takes longer to reach the upper end. I'm sure that during extreme towing situation's it might go higher, but the less time it spends at the upper range the better. Overall worth the $100 buck price and piece of mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Big red 15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, I'd love to give an update on trans temperatures but I still don't have my truck back . It's been at the dealer since 2/2/21. Supposedly the transmission has shipped, but into what dimension I don't know. Hey @RamCares , any help from your side?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Did the ATS early on say 30K? Temps in 110+ outside air were well over 200 plus.
after install were 150 -175 even when towing.Heat kills transmissions.

heres my post in another thread
66rfe transmission temp report after the ATS Thermal bypass install:
Details of the my install here, Post # 19:https://www.ramforum.com/threads/transmission-service-66rfe.143721/page-2

Temps before, install, unloaded driving , 174 degrees, air temp didn't matter much.
Temps extended idling in 108 degree outside air, 200 degrees.
Temps after Install, unloaded driving any outside temp above 90, between 150 -160 degrees.
TOWING, 4500 LB BOAT, Yesterday 113 degrees air temp tow haul on, hilly, 60 -70 mph
160 degrees in the flats, passing and up hill 165- 168.
Definitively keeps the temps lower.
If you start at lower temps it takes longer to reach the upper end. I'm sure that during extreme towing situation's it might go higher, but the less time it spends at the upper range the better. Overall worth the $100 buck price and piece of mind.

From the website referenced in the install report:

IMPORTANT FITMENT NOTES:
This product will only work on 68RFE and Aisin AS69RC transmissions. The AS69RC is found on cab and chassis models, which is different than the ASC69RC, found on the later model High Output Rams. If you are uncertain as to which transmission you have, please reference your build sheet.

Are you sure the 66RFE transmission has the oil cooler bypass valve? If yes, then a different part supposedly is needed. I was not aware of this feature, nor of reliability issues with it. I am aware of the stupid plastic filter spud, because I saw it during 1st oil change this winter, but didn't have a metal spud ordered, as wasn't aware of it at the time. I definitely plan to get rid of that dumb cost reduction part.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Well, I'd love to give an update on trans temperatures but I still don't have my truck back . It's been at the dealer since 2/2/21. Supposedly the transmission has shipped, but into what dimension I don't know. Hey @RamCares , any help from your side?

Hi there @Big red 15, thank you for looping us in! We are terribly sorry to hear about this delay. Please send over a private message with your VIN so that we may further investigate this for you, thank you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Dodge transmissions SUCK!!! The RFE is the single worst transmission design ever made. It Sucked in 99 it sucked in 2014 ,15,etc.
Why do you think they use ZF transmissions now? The rfe is an overly complicated transmission that is at best barely reliable. I'm sure this post will make alot of fanboys mad,But if you tow in mountains or on curvy roads where you are accelerating and decelerating alot,It's gonna crap out. I'm sure there will be those on here that have 150,000 problem free miles but, that's not the norm. Oh yeah Hemi exhaust manifold bolts snap like limbs in an ice storm, it's got power though.

You can tear anything up. In 78k of towing I never had a problem.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are covering the heater core, but not the flush. I think that's kind of ridiculous, but maybe that's just me. As far as the transmission, I wish I could get them to put in an 8spd instead of the 6spd it currently has. I take it to the dealer for the oil changes, so the proper fluids get used ,and any major issues because of the warranty. I'm just worried what life is going to be like post warranty in another year or so. Maybe I've just got one of the lemons.

That is kind of ridiculous, but usually it’s to keep cost down. In their way of thinking, flushing the cooling system is a waste of money, just like how when I used the extended warranty on my old pickup to have my AC compressor replaced; even after telling them that by not replacing the dryer would void the warranty on the new compressor but to them, the dryer wasn’t broke and they weren’t going to pay for a non-broke part, but they’re ok with replacing the compressor again if not putting a new dryer on was the cause of the compressor failing prematurely. It’s just it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thelegendl23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok. Let me start by saying I love my truck, but I'm beginning to think it's time to move on after just 2 years of ownership. She's a 2015 Ram 2500 big horn crew cab with a 6.4 and 4.10 towing package. The truck is absolutely the most powerful one I've ever owned. I took ownership at just 24k and now have just under 50k on it. In the last year I had the heater core replaced (plugged), did rotors and pads (rotors had significant delamination and pitting). Just last month I started having a lack of heat in the cab again, and experienced a driveline shudder. Took it back to the dealer ( luckily I have max care) and they called the next day with the news. First, the heater core is plugged again. When I asked if they would flush it out this time to hopefully prevent further clogging, they said a flush was not covered. So it looks like I'm paying $160 for a BG coolant flush. Second, they pulled the transmission pan and found what they believe to be clutch material and burned fluid. Now I have to wait on the MVP inspector to find out what they are going to do. I baby this truck. The worst it pulls is a 6x12 dump trailer with 3yds of topsoil and the occasional load of rubble. Well below what the tow rating is. At this point I'm on the better end of the deal, and am considering trading it in. Has anybody else had these same problems?

Well let's see, I have a 15 ram 2500 hemi. In the last month here is my failures. 85k miles im the 2nd owner.

Camshaft
Bank 1 roller rockers (did them all)
2 abs sensors
Drag link
Track bar
Steering box
Front and rear shocks

None of this was done by choice.. check engine code for the cam and rockers and the truck drove like a wet noodle on a boat when the steering box went out.

But no they aren't junk.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well let's see, I have a 15 ram 2500 hemi. In the last month here is my failures. 85k miles im the 2nd owner.

Camshaft
Bank 1 roller rockers (did them all)
2 abs sensors
Drag link
Track bar
Steering box
Front and rear shocks

None of this was done by choice.. check engine code for the cam and rockers and the truck drove like a wet noodle on a boat when the steering box went out.

But no they aren't junk.

Without a little bit more background on the truck and how it was used is kinda hard to take all that.

But out of all of those parts, I would think the drag link, track bar and steering box would be kind of out of the ordinary for only lasting 85,000 miles.

The shocks are stock so I wouldn’t expect those to last that long.

And no, they aren’t junk just because you had to replace some parts but what do I know, right?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That is kind of ridiculous, but usually it’s to keep cost down. In their way of thinking, flushing the cooling system is a waste of money, just like how when I used the extended warranty on my old pickup to have my AC compressor replaced; even after telling them that by not replacing the dryer would void the warranty on the new compressor but to them, the dryer wasn’t broke and they weren’t going to pay for a non-broke part, but they’re ok with replacing the compressor again if not putting a new dryer on was the cause of the compressor failing prematurely. It’s just it is what it is.

It's just what it is when companies are run exclusively by bean counters.

Edited by a Mod for clarity.

Thelegendl23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Without a little bit more background on the truck and how it was used is kinda hard to take all that.

But out of all of those parts, I would think the drag link, track bar and steering box would be kind of out of the ordinary for only lasting 85,000 miles.

The shocks are stock so I wouldn’t expect those to last that long.

And no, they aren’t junk just because you had to replace some parts but what do I know, right?

A camshaft and lifters is ordinary? Did I make you upset? Calm down a bit there pal. This truck is a highway vehicle and is babied.. no a steering box should never ever go bad at 90k and neither should really a whole lot else. I love my truck but the man asked a question.. you don't like my answer move on.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A camshaft and lifters is ordinary? Did I make you upset? Calm down a bit there pal. This truck is a highway vehicle and is babied.. no a steering box should never ever go bad at 90k and neither should really a whole lot else. I love my truck but the man asked a question.. you don't like my answer move on.

Sorry, I forgot to add the cam and lifters too but I have to ask, how was the truck treated before you bought it? But I don’t know, I’m sorry if my post rubbed you the wrong way because at least with the cam and lifters, a lot of that comes from how and when you do your oil changes.

But hey, so what if you had to replace some ****. Just replace it and go about your business because you’re gonna find good vehicles and bad vehicles in all makes. They’re all guilty of having stuff like that break all too early.

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Is the truck in question the one in your avatar pic?

The only parts you listed that should wear out by 100k are shocks... everything else is unacceptable.

But offroading and mud bogging changes all of that...

OP
OP
B

Big red 15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good news finally! Got a confirmation call from the dealer stating the trans finally showed up, and they hope to get it back to me by Wednesday afternoon. So thank you for offering assistance @RamCares , but it seems the issue has been resolved for now. Thanks for all input from the community. After I get it back, I will be watching the transmission temps like a hawk . Gotta be honest though, I'm going to have trust issues with it...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
******* are a race? Good to know. 'k

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm assuming you meant bean counter? Changed it for ya...

Um, yes, we commonly call financial types ******* in engineering parlance, so don't understand these comments - at all.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Um, yes, we commonly call financial types ******* in engineering parlance, so don't understand these comments - at all.
PM sent...