RAM 3500 Clutch Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
My 2017 3500 Tradesman dually's manual transmission has been through two clutches in its first 12,000 miles. The clutch wasn't right from the day I took new delivery. It rattled every time the engine was shut off, and seemed to slip slightly when towing nominal loads up grades.

At the 6,000 mile service, a dealer said the pack had "fallen apart" due to a "factory defect", and it was replaced under warranty. But when I got it back nothing seemed much different.

I'm now at 12,000 miles, and the story is an exact repeat. I took it to a different dealer, they said the clutch pack had "fallen apart." However they claim the first dealer hadn't replaced the entire clutch pack, so it was inevitable to fail again. They say they are now actually replacing the entire pack (under warranty).

I'm trying to figure out if the clutch in these trucks has some type of known / ongoing defect, or if it's plausible this was an isolated problem, as the dealer is suggesting.

Thanks in advance-

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I mean...clutch disks CAN be defective from the factory, just like any part of any assembly, but I'm not sure how you just replace part of a clutch and don't replace the whole thing? Generally speaking, every manual trans clutch I've ever had the joy of replacing...I replaced the entire thing as one unit because like hell I'm going to put used parts back in when I have NEW PARTS ready to go right there, that can't be used with anything else.

OP
OP
E

Eric Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Looking at a diagram, it's a dual-disc clutch. Both dealers said "all of the springs are destroyed," by which I assume they mean the springs in the disc hubs.

The new dealer is saying it's likely both discs were defective when the truck was new, and that it appears the old dealer only changed one of the two discs.

I'm just trying to ascertain if this problem is common and if so is it commonly solved. Friction discs can be made by many different suppliers, so the idea of inferior or defective ones is not as concerning as having a basic engineering problem. Only a small percentage of these trucks were sold with manual transmission so getting info isn't easy.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Most people if it needs a clutch puts a South Bend kit in it and you're done. But since this is under warranty you're more than likely stuck with a stocker.

Question: When you shut it down, is your foot pushing the clutch in all the way until the engine stops or do you shut it off with the clutch out in N? If you do the second, everytime the engine stops and kicks back it is hammering those clutch springs.

OP
OP
E

Eric Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Question: When you shut it down, is your foot pushing the clutch in all the way until the engine stops or do you shut it off with the clutch out in N? If you do the second, everytime the engine stops and kicks back it is hammering those clutch springs.

Hmmm.... I never thought much about that. There was discussion from both dealers that the discs were faulty from the factory, which leads me to think Corporate is telling them that. But either way, what you're saying makes sense. Yes normally I am shutting it off in nautral and then back in to gear for parking. I can see what you mean, shutting it off with a load will help dampen and prevent the kickback.

Since there aren't a flood of people here saying the clutch is a common problem, I'll have to assume the dealer is correct. So for now keep the truck... and shut off in gear with the clutch in.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Most people if it needs a clutch puts a South Bend kit in it and you're done. But since this is under warranty you're more than likely stuck with a stocker.

This is a good point. It's been a while since I've had anything with a manual trans, but whenever I parked one, I came to a stop with my foot on the clutch and the brake, left it in gear, and killed the ignition. After everything was shut down, I would then take my foot off the clutch and then off the brake. Unless I was in on a decent hill (more than 3° let's say), I wouldn't even bother using the e-brake, just put it in R if facing down hill or 1st if facing up hill. Not how you're supposed to do it, I know, but in all the years I had one I never had a vehicle roll away.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Hmmm.... I never thought much about that. There was discussion from both dealers that the discs were faulty from the factory, which leads me to think Corporate is telling them that. But either way, what you're saying makes sense. Yes normally I am shutting it off in nautral and then back in to gear for parking. I can see what you mean, shutting it off with a load will help dampen and prevent the kickback.

Since there aren't a flood of people here saying the clutch is a common problem, I'll have to assume the dealer is correct. So for now keep the truck... and shut off in gear with the clutch in.

I don't think there is a flood of people on this forum with manual trucks to report anything! And since 2018 was last year we may never see a bunch of issues. I think sales were so low in manual transmissions they eliminated the option for 2019+.
I'd definitely keep the truck for sure. But if it happens again out of warranty I know what I'd put in it for a clutch.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
eric nelson - comrade! i have a 18 g56 2500. clutch hydro unit failed at exactly 6000 miles. got truck back couple days later - didnt make it home. back to dealer. they replaced the dual mass flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate, along with the non servicable hydraulic unit. truck has been fine ever since. 48,000 now. i read ( possible in owners manual ) that turning truck off with clutch pedal released will result in a rattle noise, which is normal. also, will be installing south bend when warranty is gone. from what ive read they are the best. cheers!

DOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A

I’ve heard that the stock clutches are a weak point on the G56 trucks. If you plan to keep the truck for a while I’d say make the change as soon as you’re willing to spend the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

In 6+ years hanging out here this is the first manual shift specific thread I can recall so be careful concluding anything from the lack of info. The best news is it's getting fixed under warranty so I'd probably just let them take another whack at it. It's certainly possible that dealer #1 didn't do a complete job. Don't feel bad.... I'm on my third auto tranny before 100K so the grass is certainly no greener over here.

DOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
eric nelson - comrade! i have a 18 g56 2500. clutch hydro unit failed at exactly 6000 miles. got truck back couple days later - didnt make it home. back to dealer. they replaced the dual mass flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate, along with the non servicable hydraulic unit. truck has been fine ever since. 48,000 now. i read ( possible in owners manual ) that turning truck off with clutch pedal released will result in a rattle noise, which is normal. also, will be installing south bend when warranty is gone. from what ive read they are the best. cheers!

I’m running South Bend units in my G56 and my car. I love the pedal feel of both. They make excellent products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Surfing the forum, I came upon this. Interesting topic for me having the G56 Tranny. I usually shut down the engine with the truck in neutral, and cringe at the "death rattle". I'm going to check on shutting down with the truck in gear but clutch depressed. Thanks again.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
When you go out of warranty replace the entire set up with South Bend kit.

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
WOW, what a difference. Tried the engine shutdown with truck in gear and clutch pedal depressed. Smooooth and No rattle. That is definitely the way to go. Meant to do it all weekend, but old habits die hard. I need to retrain myself. Thanks for this recommendation guys