Ram 3500 most unreliable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I've stated before...I deal with large amounts of data generated by the auto repair industry. I can't be specific as to the source. That's my background, so take my comments accordingly.

Reading this garbage from Consumer Reports, several things stand out. The "trouble spots" as reported are steering/suspension, fuel/emissions system, engine cooling, noises and leaks. Let's ask some questions: First, define reliability. CR defines it as, "...how well vehicles have held up and the odds that an owner could be inconvenienced by problems and repairs." That's not how **I** define reliability, but I'll go with what they have. Basically, if it runs and gets me where I am going, it's reliable IMO. But, let's look at what they found....
What kind of leak? If it's the third brake light, how does that contribute to reliability? "Noises"....what kind of noises? I have a buddy who took his back because he was hearing the fan clutch cycle and didn't know what it was. People hear a squeak from the interior and they are back in to the dealer...Reliability? I guess by CR's standards, it is.

Lastly, but most importantly, they are not compiling data from warranty repairs, extended service contract repairs, etc.....they are compiling consumer survey data. As a whole, consumers are largely misinformed when it comes to their cars. They don't understand them, have a love affair with them, and are blinded to many truths about them. So, CR surveys these people then decides a car/truck isn't reliable based on what they say? This can be skewed by dealer treatment of the consumer, the weather, the spicy chicken wings that are burning a hole in the guy's ass this morning....any one of a number of things.

In short, this CR "report" isn't worth the paper it's written on from a data perspective, but the blind sheep will suck it up...and subscribe to do so.

Reminds me of all those Suzuki Samuri's that were rolling over.....

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I've stated before...I deal with large amounts of data generated by the auto repair industry. I can't be specific as to the source. That's my background, so take my comments accordingly.

Reading this garbage from Consumer Reports, several things stand out. The "trouble spots" as reported are steering/suspension, fuel/emissions system, engine cooling, noises and leaks. Let's ask some questions: First, define reliability. CR defines it as, "...how well vehicles have held up and the odds that an owner could be inconvenienced by problems and repairs." That's not how **I** define reliability, but I'll go with what they have. Basically, if it runs and gets me where I am going, it's reliable IMO. But, let's look at what they found....
What kind of leak? If it's the third brake light, how does that contribute to reliability? "Noises"....what kind of noises? I have a buddy who took his back because he was hearing the fan clutch cycle and didn't know what it was. People hear a squeak from the interior and they are back in to the dealer...Reliability? I guess by CR's standards, it is.

Lastly, but most importantly, they are not compiling data from warranty repairs, extended service contract repairs, etc.....they are compiling consumer survey data. As a whole, consumers are largely misinformed when it comes to their cars. They don't understand them, have a love affair with them, and are blinded to many truths about them. So, CR surveys these people then decides a car/truck isn't reliable based on what they say? This can be skewed by dealer treatment of the consumer, the weather, the spicy chicken wings that are burning a hole in the guy's ass this morning....any one of a number of things.

In short, this CR "report" isn't worth the paper it's written on from a data perspective, but the blind sheep will suck it up...and subscribe to do so.

Great post sir,

And so we all know, i did not post this believing it in the slightest. Just sharing the fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Funny that the $110,700 Tesla is on that list. I bet those people are feeling real good about that purchase. For that kind of money it had better be damn near perfect....

Also the things they complained about on the 3500 would be identical to the 2500 (minus the rear leaf spring but I have not heard of one reported problem with that)
Interesting, as a active member on the cummins HD truck forum for years I can't remember anyone complaining about steering issues in the new trucks (they must be referring to the gen 3 trucks), Very few emissions problems (a couple but not many) and no engine cooling issues? Where they got this data I have no idea because it is not what I have seen people complain about.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have a 3500 so Obviously leaf springs and I never had or heard any common issues either .

This report is so funny Its unreal. Its like toyota sets up a “focus group” to make **** up about other manufacturers just to further their agenda [emoji23][emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I used to have a CR subscription and have taken the survey they pull this data from. It basically asked the user if they have taken their truck into the shop for any reason and does not differentiate recalls, warranty and such. It just asks you if you took it in and why. Knowing this, I can tell that most of the problems they listed were recalls that were done regardless if they needed them or not. Since most HD trucks are diesel, many of these recalls were too.

The cooling system and leaking is obviously the Cummins water pump recall, the fuel/emissions systems looks to be the recent SCR recall, and the steering/suspension is probably the steering linkage recall they had a while back. They probably singled out the 3500 over the 2500 since more 2500s are sold and therefore dilutes the percentages.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I have been in two different industries where their rankings and reviews carried sway. I have been on the good end and the bad end of their spiel, and I can tell you there is a ton of BS in what they say. Their magazine is suitable to line a bird cage.

MegaRam18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have been in two different industries where their rankings and reviews carried sway. I have been on the good end and the bad end of their spiel, and I can tell you there is a ton of BS in what they say. Their magazine is suitable to line a bird cage.
You could be in trouble for animal cruelty.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jaywoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 & 2018
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins
Funny that the $110,700 Tesla is on that list. I bet those people are feeling real good about that purchase. For that kind of money it had better be damn near perfect....

Also the things they complained about on the 3500 would be identical to the 2500 (minus the rear leaf spring but I have not heard of one reported problem with that)
Interesting, as a active member on the cummins HD truck forum for years I can't remember anyone complaining about steering issues in the new trucks (they must be referring to the gen 3 trucks), Very few emissions problems (a couple but not many) and no engine cooling issues? Where they got this data I have no idea because it is not what I have seen people complain about.

Are you kidding me? Here's about a 1000. Or more.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/...on-if-you-have-post-your-year-truck-here.html

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Its good for a laugh. My 2500 Laramie hasn’t had so much as a hiccup since new. Not a single freakin issue. Zero issues with fit and finish or quality. No warranty claims. Not even any glitches with anything. Have had a couple recalls done in less than an hour and all else I’ve done is fluid changes. The Dodges have also been solid and I frequently beat on those and they seem to like it.

It may have gotten a little bit better recently (?) but Teslas have had terrible fit and finish and reliability is generally questionable. Also some of the new ones have been spontaneously combusting due to overheating batteries. Not something I’d want to worry about lol. The only combusting I want going on is in my 8 cylinders. To me something like that is a real “reliability” issue.

Pretty much anything you can get today is going to get you from A – B.

tbone63

Fast & Furious ish
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

I am a Construction Manager for a large homebuilder. You wouldn't believe the "expert" homeowners and the complete crap I have to deal with as they tell me how the home should be constructed and how this and that is "defective". It's hard to believe I haven't gone postal yet......

They watch a couple episodes of some house building/remodeling show and think they know everything. And don't get me started on how the old in laws have to chime in on how they know all construction methods...

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can't believe CR is still around. With all the changes in the way information is available (mainly the internet), it's surprising they haven't gone the way of the dinosaur. I have to think their audience is an older, computer-phobic crowd that is literally dying off slowly. I can't imagine CR will still be around in 10 years.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963