Ram air induction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GHOST5035

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys I'm about to order a cold air intake but really what I want is a full system is there any available that pipes down to the bumper like like a ram air? I would like one of those over the standard under hood but I've yet to see one any help really appreciate it thanks so much

SHADOWFAX

kyleb8077

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think anything like this exists that is not custom. Even with a sport hood the angles involved would render the ram air function useless. The best bet for this, to my knowledge, is the Vararam intake. As far as something that pulls air from down by the bumper, S&B makes an additional scoop for their CAI that does this.

RamRod666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
JMHM17

What does your hood offer? I see the scoops but are they functional and do they connect to anything under the hood as far as air intake goes?

OP
OP
GHOST5035

GHOST5035

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The stock airbox is piped into the fender where it gets its air from under the truck. The stock intake is a "CAI". Save your coin get a drop in and a tune :)
What do you have on your truck? Which air intake

SHADOWFAX

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I don't have an aftermarket intake - never will, unless some one gives it to me for free. Honestly I think they are a waste of money on any modern vehicle, and will not yield any additional performance.

As for my hood, its just for looks. There are a few threads on here of people trying to make it functional but to no avail.

Last edited:

hotrodderscott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Vararam kit, direct forced airflow from behind your upper grill.
I held off until I found a good deal on a like new condition used setup.
paired with a fastman ported, polished, and half shafted throttle body and an exhaust. ..its a great combo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-19-14-00-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-19-14-00-45.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 101

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Vararam kit, direct forced airflow from behind your upper grill.
I held off until I found a good deal on a like new condition used setup.
paired with a fastman ported, polished, and half shafted throttle body and an exhaust. ..its a great combo.

I do not have a C.A.I as of yet so I will keep my options open at this point. If the air is coming from the front of the truck behind the top grill how is the air avoiding the heat that the engine is giving off ie the couple of feet from the front of the engine until it hits the c.a.i at the back of the motor??:favorites13:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not have a C.A.I as of yet so I will keep my options open at this point. If the air is coming from the front of the truck behind the top grill how is the air avoiding the heat that the engine is giving off ie the couple of feet from the front of the engine until it hits the c.a.i at the back of the motor??:favorites13:

It uses a tray/"ramp" to duct the air back & down into the TB.
The only other off the shelf solution is the S&B with scoop but it's not as much a ram air as it is just a scoop; it faces straight down behind the front bumper. See my pic attached.

Attachments

• SandB scoop.jpg
    SandB scoop.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 87

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Which also keep in mind is a great way to suck water into your intake. You have to think of it this way. If your getting air from a colder source it still has to make its way into the engine compartment thus heat-soaking the once "cold" air, think of how an air to air intercooler works. with that being said its only going to be a few degrees difference.. even at 20 degrees your not going to yield horse power that would justify the price of these intakes. its all smoke and mirrors for us engineers that understand things like this..

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which also keep in mind is a great way to suck water into your intake. You have to think of it this way. If your getting air from a colder source it still has to make its way into the engine compartment thus heat-soaking the once "cold" air, think of how an air to air intercooler works. with that being said its only going to be a few degrees difference.. even at 20 degrees your not going to yield horse power that would justify the price of these intakes. its all smoke and mirrors for us engineers that understand things like this..

^ Oh, gee. I feel so stupid for buying this now...:flipthebird:
Maybe we buy these because we like tinkering. We have $ to spend and this is how we choose to do it. I have never claimed it bumped horsepower.
-Also an engineer.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always say look at the fastest in the automotive world. They put cai on their own shop cars and are all vying to be the fastest in the country. Shops like LPE, Katech, LMR, Livernois, Speed Inc, .... the list goes on and on. These shops are all about speed, and they do have relationships with the auto manufacturers. They do work. Look at any bolt-on Corvette, camaro, any GM muscle, they simple rock.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine

The S&B scoop has a port in it, if you enter standing water there is no vacuum to pull water through the filter and into the motor. I tend to agree with most of your points but getting rid of the convoluted tubing on the stock intake will reduce some turbulence and help airflow. I like the Legmaker tube for that...it's a nice part.
As far as how an air-air intercooler works (actually not an intercooler...but you already knew that as an engineer I'm sure)...they take heated air from a compressor and can drop temps drastically...so not a fair comparison.
And while I don't think any CAI will ever drop temps 20 from ambient, any decrease will help. Cooler air makes more power...period. Not much in the case of a CAI I'll concede...most CAI's average about an 8hp increase....but some is better than none.
I don't have an engineering degree....but I've raced at a professional level and have been building high power cars and trucks for close to 30 years. I'll take experience over a degree any day. lol

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
^ Oh, gee. I feel so stupid for buying this now...:flipthebird:
Maybe we buy these because we like tinkering. We have $ to spend and this is how we choose to do it. I have never claimed it bumped horsepower.
-Also an engineer.

wtf u mad bro? I wasnt trying to be a ****, i was just trying to explain my reasoning behind why i thought they were a waste of money and some of the concerns with your setup so :flipthebird: your self.. do what you want spend your money however you please.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
every manufacture and cai is different, 2014 trucks are engineered very well and they do a good job, i have seen a volant cai net 26 hp on a 02 chevy 6.0 2500, " I was ******* amazed" obviously in that case chevy restricted the **** outta the air box. In the case of our ram's for my use/ environment a high dollar replacement in is all my truck will see

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I always say look at the fastest in the automotive world. They put cai on their own shop cars and are all vying to be the fastest in the country. Shops like LPE, Katech, LMR, Livernois, Speed Inc, .... the list goes on and on. These shops are all about speed, and they do have relationships with the auto manufacturers. They do work. Look at any bolt-on Corvette, camaro, any GM muscle, they simple rock.

Yes, this correct they "work" however depending on your mod list after a while intakes become a supporting mod, but it should not be seen as a bolt on thats going to add power to a stock motor.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The S&B scoop has a port in it, if you enter standing water there is no vacuum to pull water through the filter and into the motor. I tend to agree with most of your points but getting rid of the convoluted tubing on the stock intake will reduce some turbulence and help airflow. I like the Legmaker tube for that...it's a nice part.
As far as how an air-air intercooler works (actually not an intercooler...but you already knew that as an engineer I'm sure)...they take heated air from a compressor and can drop temps drastically...so not a fair comparison.
And while I don't think any CAI will ever drop temps 20 from ambient, any decrease will help. Cooler air makes more power...period. Not much in the case of a CAI I'll concede...most CAI's average about an 8hp increase....but some is better than none.
I don't have an engineering degree....but I've raced at a professional level and have been building high power cars and trucks for close to 30 years. I'll take experience over a degree any day. lol

I did not know about the anti hydrolock feature so my apologies on that.. Not sure I follow you on your explanation of an intercooler, but regardless as I replied above your not going to see a difference worth bragging about. and even 8hp is a crazy gain for an intake (i would like to see a real world test on a Ram to back those numbers up). I mean its a subjective topic. every car/turck is different, the airbox on these trucks flow very well tho. so take your "expierence over my "degree" im just stating my opinion on the topic..

Its like I posted up I am an Engineer and everyone go but hurt or something..:roflsquared:

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
^^ thats not a Ram. and that truck is 11 years old. As I stated "any modern vehicle". Yea back in the early to mid 2000's intakes were the craze as they actually did work. But not today. I want to see some one at a dyno day and post up there number pre and post intake on their 09+ ram. then I'll shut up. I want some one to prove me wrong. :) lets see the dyno sheets boys

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^ I slightly agree with this. IMO the engine will only pull in the air it wants regardless of the intake, new vehicles are way to smart lol. But in high horse power levels when there's a lot more fuel present an intake will be beneficial. That's my thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk