Ram Boxes - Would you choose them in my situation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom McClellan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love my boxes. Pretty sure you can get a Classic with the 6'4'' bed and Ramboxes. I can fit my ATV in mine so it still holds plenty.

Jim M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
:angry94: Caution: the bed divider doesn't come with all Rambox options. I was shocked when I finally realized that it wasn't there. The dealer pointed out that it wasn't on my build order but I could buy it for some astronomical price ($1500 I think). :favorites68:

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had two. One on a 2017, 3500 limited and now I have one on my 2019, 2500 limited. For me it is a must have.

But something is going on with using the divider as a bed extender. It came on the 17 with the cargo management system. On the 19, I got the divider but not all the extender parts. Really liked the extender.

That’s another benefit I’ve used as well on several occasions - the bed extender. Great feature! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
I have had two. One on a 2017, 3500 limited and now I have one on my 2019, 2500 limited. For me it is a must have.

But something is going on with using the divider as a bed extender. It came on the 17 with the cargo management system. On the 19, I got the divider but not all the extender parts. Really liked the extender.

Mine didn’t come with the pegs either. I bought the 4th gen pegs and put them in myself. There is another thread with all the details.

https://www.ramforum.com/posts/2100536/

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
:angry94: Caution: the bed divider doesn't come with all Rambox options. I was shocked when I finally realized that it wasn't there. The dealer pointed out that it wasn't on my build order but I could buy it for some astronomical price ($1500 I think). :favorites68:
This is true. You have to also get the bed utility group to get the bed divider. But at that time I bought my truck there was a glitch in the truck build software. So if you selected the BUG option before selecting the rambox option, you still didn't get the divider. Selecting the rambox option, then selecting the BUG option gave you the divider. It wasn't until after my truck arrived that this was discovered. The divider cost from my dealership was just over $1000. At least I was able to get them to split the cost with me, but I still think I shouldn't have had to pay any extra for it.

illinix3

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Looking to purchase my first Ram and having a tough time deciding between the Ram boxes or multi-function tailgate. I do not plan to do both.

I will be using this as mostly a suburban crawler with 3 young kids in the back when needed (other vehicle is a minivan which is the main family hauler). Otherwise, the bed is essentially a trunk or for small weekend warrior yard work projects. Plan to get into the travel trailer game as well. I originally thought the boxes with locking storage would be an nice and we do make 1 or 2 tailgating trips a year so a fun feature for beer/drinks. However, the more I think about it the more I lean towards the multi function tailgate to get closer to the cargo and keep the full bed width.

Thoughts/recommendations?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Why are you against getting both? In my opinion the MFT and rambox bed divider compliment each other perfectly. We have both on our Limited, and it's the perfect grocery getter. We set the bed divider about two feet from the tailgate, and it's like opening up a cupboard with the MFT. And the bedside boxes do make great coolers for tailgating.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the RamBox.
(2020 Laramie crew 4*4)

Big fan. Huge.

The amount that I like/use the RamBox far far far outweighs the one or two times I missed that stupid empty space in the bed.
Think about it, most times we humans stack things we do it on squares, cubes, and right angles, even if the object itself has curves.
That space fore/aft/above the rear wheel hump is stupid with two Os. How many time iny old truck did I use it all hodge-podge after first loading the rest of the bed, then stuck little odd things on that space. Sure, it was nice to have, when moving house or camping.

But it is even NICER to have structured, lockable, lighted, drainable, handy storage ALL the time, even when NOT moving house or camping.

lozy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Why are you against getting both? In my opinion the MFT and rambox bed divider compliment each other perfectly. We have both on our Limited, and it's the perfect grocery getter. We set the bed divider about two feet from the tailgate, and it's like opening up a cupboard with the MFT. And the bedside boxes do make great coolers for tailgating.

Ditto that. I have my bed divider set the same way on my Limited and use it like that, too.

I use my RamBoxes for emergency gear, backup road snacks, throwing knives - just general overflow storage, lol. Haven't been impressed with the reviews for the $$$ Rambox dividers, so will likely build out my own system inside, preferably with molle or such.

But back to the OP: I've been after this dream 2020 config for months, and almost took one or two without the Ramboxes or MFT. So glad I held out for them - they are totally worth it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
For all the fans of the RAM boxes - do you have clearance issues with your 5th wheel? I know you can adjust them up about 2 inches up/down, so curious if creates issues when turning. I haven't measured the bed in that way so when the time comes to make the leap (in a few years), would love to know if others have used 5th wheel without issue.

Shadillac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Yes, this was the same for me. It would have been $700 bucks for me after the fact. With that being said it turns out i didnt really need it with the bed liner being pretty grippy and just using some tie downs to keep stuff in place if needed.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Unfortunately I could not get a Rambox on a 8 foot bed, which is a must for me. Therefore I never had to consider the loss of bed space. For me, I often fill ever bit of space with stuff whether I am traveling, picking up stone or dirt, it getting lumber and other supplies. So I doubt the box would have been something I would have bought. But I wish someone made something like the below link for Rams. I have considered the swing boxes behind the rear wheel! But they are too expensive and small for most anything I would need it for.

https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-pa...MI5OfT5I6R6wIVAoTICh1DUg6iEAQYECABEgLR5vD_BwE

Jim M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
bed dividers: if you don't have one, a 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x10 with board ends' beveled works just fine. They won't act as bed extender though.
I use a telescoping shower rod. It's not as sturdy as a 2x, but I can move or remove it without rolling up the tonneau cover.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trying to decide whether to order a '21 Limited EcoDiesel with or without the Ram Boxes. I am worried I'd miss the extra space in the box, but also think it would be nice to have them for structured storage or even use as an ice cooler and the like. Honestly the rear of my truck will be used mostly like a trunk if ever. We could take my truck on a trip if necessary as I'll have a tri-fold tonneau eventually. Maybe I'd wish for more space back there for luggage and the like if we have the full crew?

My uses are less work and more typical suburban dad stuff. We have some ranch land about 4 hours away, but really all I'll be taking up there would be tree cutters, gas cans, a minor amount of tools, a few storage boxes etc. The rest of the stuff sits at the ranch for the most part. I can see wanting wire stretchers, gloves, waders, clips, etc. in a Ram Box when needed but honestly as often as I'll use them they'd be just fine tossed in the bed with a tonneau cover, etc. I don't go up so often that I'd just leave them in the Ram Boxes I don't think.

I would be loading up the bikes for the kids etc in the bed from time to time as well and maybe transporting a piece of furniture here and there or a mower to take care of my in-laws etc. Nothing major, but I could see wishing I didn't have the Ram Boxes the first time I can't fit something width wise in the box.

My first hunch has been to get the Ram Boxes and it's not about the money, but I just don't know that I will have THAT much stuff that I'd want to store in them all the time (Jumper cables, tow strap, etc?). As far as ranch stuff, like I said, I bet I'd pull that stuff out most of the time because I don't make THAT many trips up there that I would just leave it all in there.

Any perspective is much appreciated!

I had the Ram Box on my 2017 that I traded in this year and I hardly used them ... My 2020 does not have them, and I don't miss them at all ... All I ever kept in them was a set of booster cables and a jug of windshield washer and some tie down straps ... I picked up a folding plastic crate for these items and just keep it in the bed ... It seems in your post that you answered your own question, when you said you don't know if you have that much stuff to put in them ... You basically have what I had, and I did NOT get the Ram box ...

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There's no right or wrong answer...But I personally hate having "things" like crates or totes stored permanently in the bed. You have to secure them from bouncing around, I dislike the constantly cluttered look and then when you do need extra bed space you have to move or remove them anyway. My prior RAM had Ramboxes and I loved them. My current RAM is leased and since it was going to be short-term I was ok experimenting to see if I missed them - I do. I put in a Swing Case for the stuff I'd normally keep in one of the boxes - at least it's a fixed storage solution and makes use of the dead wheel-well space...but I'd prefer the RAM boxes. My next RAM will have them.

My opinion is if you are organized, you will find a use for them. I kept one for tools/utility items and I kept the other empty for drinks & ice when on the beach and softball team game days, bags of carry-out food, guns when going to the range, etc. I also do electrical work and carry wire, boxes, pipe, benders, a power trencher, etc. but when I don't have a project going on, I like the clean look of everything in its place.

Daventx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 2020 RamBox option has the mounting support in place for the bed extenders. They are covered with plastic tabs but I ordered 68054997AB (2) and 68054996AA (2) for $89