Ram Boxes - Would you choose them in my situation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daventx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For all the fans of the RAM boxes - do you have clearance issues with your 5th wheel? I know you can adjust them up about 2 inches up/down, so curious if creates issues when turning. I haven't measured the bed in that way so when the time comes to make the leap (in a few years), would love to know if others have used 5th wheel without issue.

Josh I had a B&W hitch on my 2014 Limited and it worked well. I just had to be careful with ground transitions like Crossing a ravine

anchorsaweigh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I shy away from ANYTHING that reduces bed space.

Cheers

Bob

Mckisback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my Ram boxes. Keep all misc jmpr cable, receiver hitches, straps for what if. Plus some of needed travel trailer hook up stuff.

Utah Biker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Biggest issue I've had with them is the lack of rack options that accommodate ram boxes.

I'm new to the game here, but my 2020 1500 Limited came with ram boxes and I was 50/50 on them initially. Since we're looking to use the truck mostly for camping, I was originally considering a rooftop tent. I need a sturdy rack for that. The problem I'm running into is the lack of options that are under 2k for just a bare bones rack. Trucks w/o ramboxes have a multitude of rack options, but you currently have maybe a few solid options for ram box compatible racks.

We're now considering an offroad popup tent as an option and for daily use, I really do love the ram boxes. They are extremely convenient and secure.

Njt07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 etorque
Unfortunately I could not get a Rambox on a 8 foot bed, which is a must for me. Therefore I never had to consider the loss of bed space. For me, I often fill ever bit of space with stuff whether I am traveling, picking up stone or dirt, it getting lumber and other supplies. So I doubt the box would have been something I would have bought. But I wish someone made something like the below link for Rams. I have considered the swing boxes behind the rear wheel! But they are too expensive and small for most anything I would need it for.

https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-pa...MI5OfT5I6R6wIVAoTICh1DUg6iEAQYECABEgLR5vD_BwE

as cool as that is $1600 for two is a bit much

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, very expensive. But I would go for one to put hitch and stuff in it. I have seen another box that hangs inside but it sticks out so far. Oh well, such is life. Maybe someday they add the Rambox to a 8' bed. Enjoy them if you have them!

mlwapw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel 6.7
I had a 2014 1500 with a 6'4" bed and ramboxes. I then bought a 2018 2500 cummins with a 6'4" bed and ramboxes. And I have a 40 gallon aux tank in the bed with an Andersen ultimate hitch and I wouldn't give up the boxes for anything. I keep tools and recovery equipment in them along with a floor jack.

Bluegill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
People who criticize the ram boxes are generally those who have never had them.
I love them. Every truck from every manufacturer should offer them.
Given what you posted, you’ll love um.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Not hardly, bud....lol. Never had em, never want em. Those goofy foot-wide bed rail caps on top look ridiculous. They won’t work with my choice of tonneau cover. Believe it or not, I’d rather have the room that those take away. My bed’s small enough as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Not hardly, bud....lol. Never had em, never want em. Those goofy foot-wide bed rail caps on top look ridiculous. They won’t work with my choice of tonneau cover. Believe it or not, I’d rather have the room that those take away. My bed’s small enough as it is.

You literally just proved his point. :signs8:

Back on topic, I have had two trucks now with them and love them. Would not own this truck without them if possible.

Love the ability to have organized/unorganized crap in them that is locked.

And they are awesome for that take out food you don't want in the cabin on the way home.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You literally just proved his point. :signs8:

It would sure seem that way but I assure you, I did nothing of the sort. To say I proved his point would be the same thing as for you to believe in the philosophical nonsense of whether or not a tree makes a sound when it falls in the forest and there’s no one around to hear it.

Even if I did find those Ram Boxes to be the least bit useful, I still wouldn’t prefer them. I like having options of other tonneau covers, bed rails/caps and maybe even a camper shell some day possibly. Can’t do that if you have the Ram Boxes. If those black plastic specialized bed caps warp, or turn white or if they ever get damaged, you’ve only got one option- stock. And I bet they wi t be cheap, either.

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It would sure seem that way but I assure you, I did nothing of the sort. To say I proved his point would be the same thing as for you to believe in the philosophical nonsense of whether or not a tree makes a sound when it falls in the forest and there’s no one around to hear it.

Even if I did find those Ram Boxes to be the least bit useful, I still wouldn’t prefer them. I like having options of other tonneau covers, bed rails/caps and maybe even a camper shell some day possibly. Can’t do that if you have the Ram Boxes. If those black plastic specialized bed caps warp, or turn white or if they ever get damaged, you’ve only got one option- stock. And I bet they wi t be cheap, either.

"People who criticize the ram boxes are generally those who have never had them."

You fit his sentence perfectly. What we need is someone to say I have had them and I would never get them again to refute his theory.

And even then he used the word generally, so there is room for error.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You fit his sentence perfectly. What we need is someone to say I have had them and I would never get them again to refute his theory.

And even then he used the word generally, so there is room for error.

LOL you’re wrong dude, but oh well, I wish to no further argue this with you because I don’t need to have previously tried these things in order to prove my point of lack of interest in them- and I’ve even stated some pretty good in my opinion, oppositions to them as well to be considered.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Truer words have never been spoken. Okay, maybe that's taking it a little far, but it's definitely a true statement.

I used to feel the same way about them. Until my girlfriend bought one with the option. That's when I saw just how useful they are. And now that I own a truck with them I never miss that mostly useless space in front of, on top of, and behind the wheel wells. Most of that space is made up for in the bed side boxes. And I'm using the same type of bed cover I used on my previous non-rambox truck. It's obvious you have your mind made up about them. But it doesn't make Bluegill1's statement any less true.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel

Schrodinger's Rambox. Sorry, couldn't resist...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truer words have never been spoken. Okay, maybe that's taking it a little far, but it's definitely a true statement.
Not necessarily. Once again, you keep fueling this notion that the only way somebody can truly speak about something is that they have to have tried it first and that’s just simply not true. It may apply to a lot of things but it certainly doesn’t apply to everything.

I’ve never seen the movie Brokeback Mountain and I guarantee you that I don’t have to watch that movie just to find out that I really didn’t like it. Just like with that new Ghostbusters movie; even though I love Melissa McCarthy’s acting, I still don’t have to say that I’ve seen that movie in order to properly say that I don’t like it. These Ram boxes are no different.

I used to feel the same way about them. Until my girlfriend bought one with the option. That’s when I saw just how useful they are. And now that I own a truck with them I never miss that mostly useless space in front of, on top of, and behind the wheel wells. Most of that space is made up for in the bed side boxes. And I'm using the same type of bed cover I used on my previous non-rambox truck. It's obvious you have your mind made up about them. But it doesn't make Bluegill1's statement any less true.

So again, it’s like you’re silently trying to say I don’t know what I’m talking about when you say it doesn’t make Bluegill’s statement any less true. Well, it’s NOT true because if it were, I would have no way whatsoever to say I dislike these things without having them first and again, I don’t need them to figure that out. There’s a lot of people that have had these things and regretted it. There may not have been a whole lot here but this thread alone isn’t the be all end all decision against the Ram Boxes.

But you say you were able to use the same style tonneau cover with yours; well, that’s all fine and dandy but you can’t do that with all covers. The solid ABS plastic cover I’m getting from Undercover is one of those that won’t work with the Ram Boxes.

I have stated why I don’t like these boxes but I don’t think you’ve read it. I do like the space that’s taken away because of those boxes. There’s been several times where I’ve needed that space.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not necessarily. Once again, you keep fueling this notion that the only way somebody can truly speak about something is that they have to have tried it first and that’s just simply not true. It may apply to a lot of things but it certainly doesn’t apply to everything.

I’ve never seen the movie Brokeback Mountain and I guarantee you that I don’t have to watch that movie just to find out that I really didn’t like it. Just like with that new Ghostbusters movie; even though I love Melissa McCarthy’s acting, I still don’t have to say that I’ve seen that movie in order to properly say that I don’t like it. These Ram boxes are no different.

So again, it’s like you’re silently trying to say I don’t know what I’m talking about when you say it doesn’t make Bluegill’s statement any less true. Well, it’s NOT true because if it were, I would have no way whatsoever to say I dislike these things without having them first and again, I don’t need them to figure that out. There’s a lot of people that have had these things and regretted it. There may not have been a whole lot here but this thread alone isn’t the be all end all decision against the Ram Boxes.

But you say you were able to use the same style tonneau cover with yours; well, that’s all fine and dandy but you can’t do that with all covers. The solid ABS plastic cover I’m getting from Undercover is one of those that won’t work with the Ram Boxes.

I have stated why I don’t like these boxes but I don’t think you’ve read it. I do like the space that’s taken away because of those boxes. There’s been several times where I’ve needed that space.

No one said you can't have an opinion on them unless you have tried them. What he said is most people who have a bad opinion of them haven't owned them. That is most definitely true. How is that saying that you can't have an opinion on them? I'm saying I used to share your opinion until I actually tried them. My opinion has obviously changed.

You don't want the rambox option...got it. You want to be able to use the edge space in the bed...got it. You want to use a bed cover that won't work with the rambox...got it. You don't want the rambox option. I think we're all perfectly fine with your decision not to get one.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No one said you can't have an opinion on them unless you have tried them. What he said is most people who have a bad opinion of them haven't owned them. That is most definitely true. How is that saying that you can't have an opinion on them? I'm saying I used to share your opinion until I actually tried them. My opinion has obviously changed.

You don't want the rambox option...got it. You want to be able to use the edge space in the bed...got it. You want to use a bed cover that won't work with the rambox...got it. You don't want the rambox option. I think we're all perfectly fine with your decision not to get one.

I guess that’s just kinda what it sounded like, no harm, no foul.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love the RAMBOX.
When I went from cars to my first truck, I missed having a trunk.
When I bought my RAM 2014, I knew I wanted the RAMBOX and don't regret it one bit.