RAM Classic 2019 major burnt rubber smell (3+ weeks at the dealer, no fix)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lahart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
is the smell after you drive a little, or will start without going down the road?

I ask because I'm going to tell you a story.

I purchased my 3500 August-2018. In October I drive it up to Vermont to visit my brother inlaw. One afternoon, we drove a little ways to go for lunch. When I parked, I could smell rubber burning from my left rear. I stuck my head around, saw nothing, not even smoke. Later I crawel under it and could find anything the might be rubbing.

After that, every once in a while, I would get to work, or somewhere, and could smell burning rubber. Well that went on until just before this last Christmas. I headed down the interstate on Satrday at Midnight, and my left rear gave out. It didnt blow, but it did fall apart at 70MPH. I got off the road without issue, and changed it out.

The tire had a failure called a zipper tear, and is often cause by subtle cord or belt movement, when there should be none.

I didnt relate this flat to the smell until I was buying new tire from my neigborhood tire guru. He said it started failing the day it was made. I asked if it might be the source of my burning rubber and my guy said he would put money on it.

As a note, I made an 800 mile dash this last weekend, no burning smell with these new shoes,

So that's my story. Might be good to take a real close look at your front tires.
Have you rotated your tires? See if the smell moves to the back.

Hope you have some good luck getting this taken care of.
View attachment 438134View attachment 438135

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Today I noticed that same burning smell in the exact same place; left rear. I hope my issue is a simple fix like your tire. Thanks for sharing! & glad your ok!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963