RAM Classic 2019 major burnt rubber smell (3+ weeks at the dealer, no fix)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
Did they give you a vehicle to drive around during the time it takes to fix it? As I'm sure you've called FCA directly, this would be the route to go. They'll give you a rental (if not done already), and they should have the problem fixed or the truck replaced, it's still under their warranty. You call FCA, you put in the work and you get the rewards. At the least if this takes forever to fix, have them give you a vehicle for the time being.

You need proof of smell. Sounds weird, but make sure you get something in writing from the people who are working on it that it has a smell, it's your only protection for CAMVAP or fighting with FCA. Keep crazy documentation for everything.

If this gets "resolved" but you are still scared of the truck itself, trade it in, swallow a small loss and continue on. It sucks, but sometimes these things happen.

My wife's 2015 explorer has had 16 Gs worth of work, on warranty mostly. We keep documentation on all of it and it's helped us get out of a bill more than once.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had 3 newer Ram trucks. When I parked them I noticed (on occasion) some burnt rubber smell. This smell only came after some spirited driving. :) It always seemed to be coming from the back part of the truck.
Best I could tell is that it was coming from the exhaust. Possibly the rubber on the hangers. The brake calipers did not seem to be hot to the touch as I also suspected hot brake pads giving off this odor. It could be that when you smell it, it is coming from the outside. On the Climate control panel you can select recirculation or outside fresh air.
Not saying it is coming from your exhaust/brakes, just be mindful of your control panel settings... Might help narrow it down!

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well from what I have obtained from your writings,Technically you are being forced to drive a BIO HAZARD . Time fro a lawyer to give a call to the dealer,that might make them think, OK lets get this guy a new truck.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
11K KM on the truck (6800 miles)...

Man! Now I'm wondering if it'll happen to mine too.

Also wondering---you say the smell comes up after diving a km or so; can you put it the garage and idling with the hood open to give it a smell test? Then after 10 minutes or so, turn on the defroster, then the heater, etc. If that doesn't help, you could put the rear end on jackstands and run it in gear---block it of course.

And where the Hell is "RamCares"???????????
Best wishes to you, and good luck to the rest of us, yikes! :biggun:

Douglas Hough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
In my last thread, I was indicating that my truck is at the dealership for 3 weeks without them to find why the hell this thing is smelling A LOT like burnt rubber. So now the truck is at the dealership for a little over 5 weeks now and two weeks ago, a few days after I posted my last thread, the dealership excluded a transfer case issue (as well) and now suspected that the burn rubber smell was coming from the transmission, so what FCA asked in regard of the transmission, is to flush entire fluid and give it a test... but instead of performing some test-drive themselves, they asked me to pick up my truck and test it myself to see the result. After only driving a few KM, the problem hasn't changed (or improved), so I bring the truck back to the dealership immediately.

A few days later, they told me that the now suspect that the burnt rubber smell can come from the (winter) tires. I strongly doubted of this because the smell is coming from the engine bay, not from the surroundings of the truck around the wheels. Once again, they don't perform any road test themselves and asked me to pick up my truck and give it a drive... only after driving 1 km in the middle of the day (during my lunch break at work), the problem was still present so I immediately bring the truck back to the dealership, indicating that if they had performed a test-drive of my truck only 1 km, they would not make me waste 1 hour of my time to do it myself!

Two days later, they called me back, saying that they still suspect an issue with the tires, even after replacing them once. So they asked me to pick up my truck with a second set of new (used) tires. JESUS CHRIST! In a last demonstration of good faith, I did the test-drive myself again and noted (obviously) that the problem is still present.

That last attempt was around 7 days ago. Then it was followed by several days of radio silence where, then by February 5th, they called me to ask me to come and pick up my vehicle because it's fixed. I was very surprised so I asked them what they had allocated and they answered: "Nothing! We didn't work on it for 3-4 days and when the mechanic went to test-drive, the problem was gone.” HOLY SPIRIT MADE HIS MAGIC on my truck!!

So I went to pick up my vehicle to try it out even if I did not believe in the action of the Holy Spirit and without much surprise after driving a few kilometres, the problem was still there. So I called the dealer immediately by Monday (they are closed during the weekend) and they told me they were to call me back later. The next day (Tuesday, February 11), I called them back and they asked me to bring the truck back in the middle of the day, while the entire mechanic team was present for a test drive with a mechanic. So I showed up in the middle of the afternoon and did a (very short) test drive of 1 km in the presence of the mechanic (a new mechanic who had never worked on my vehicle) and he was immediately STUNNED of how the smell of burnt rubber is STRONG and unbearable inside the cab when the HVAC is running.

I waited a few days without any news from them, then I filled a complaint at FCA Canada but the answer I got from FCA Canada is that there's not lemon law in Canada and that the dealership is responsible to any legal warranty on a vehicle. So I sent the dealer a "formal notice" that they should receive by today asking them to refund the truck or exchange it for a new truck with identical specifications or better. If they don't answer to my request, I can bring the case to a free legal service in Canada called C.A.M.V.A.P. (CANADIAN MOTOR VEHICLE ARBITRATION PLAN) who can bring my case in court in front of a judge for free. https://www.camvap.ca/

Remember that I have opened the initial case with my dealership about this problem back in mid-November 2019!!! Three months now! I first did several in and out at the dealership for troubleshooting (try and error) and then by the mid-January, they kept my truck for full-time troubleshooting.

Douglas Hough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Will be seeing Cranbrook Dodge on March 6 and will see that they say. I am still thinking regen is creating the smell. Have had this confirmed by some of my contractor friends.
I will keep you posted as to what Cranbrook Dodge says

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
has anyone even looked at the serpentine belt to see if its dragging against something or maybe a seized pulley which could give off that burnt rubber smell in the engine bay

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
In my last thread, I was indicating that my truck is at the dealership for 3 weeks without them to find why the hell this thing is smelling A LOT like burnt rubber. So now the truck is at the dealership for a little over 5 weeks now and two weeks ago, a few days after I posted my last thread, the dealership excluded a transfer case issue (as well) and now suspected that the burn rubber smell was coming from the transmission, so what FCA asked in regard of the transmission, is to flush entire fluid and give it a test... but instead of performing some test-drive themselves, they asked me to pick up my truck and test it myself to see the result. After only driving a few KM, the problem hasn't changed (or improved), so I bring the truck back to the dealership immediately.

A few days later, they told me that the now suspect that the burnt rubber smell can come from the (winter) tires. I strongly doubted of this because the smell is coming from the engine bay, not from the surroundings of the truck around the wheels. Once again, they don't perform any road test themselves and asked me to pick up my truck and give it a drive... only after driving 1 km in the middle of the day (during my lunch break at work), the problem was still present so I immediately bring the truck back to the dealership, indicating that if they had performed a test-drive of my truck only 1 km, they would not make me waste 1 hour of my time to do it myself!

Two days later, they called me back, saying that they still suspect an issue with the tires, even after replacing them once. So they asked me to pick up my truck with a second set of new (used) tires. JESUS CHRIST! In a last demonstration of good faith, I did the test-drive myself again and noted (obviously) that the problem is still present.

That last attempt was around 7 days ago. Then it was followed by several days of radio silence where, then by February 5th, they called me to ask me to come and pick up my vehicle because it's fixed. I was very surprised so I asked them what they had allocated and they answered: "Nothing! We didn't work on it for 3-4 days and when the mechanic went to test-drive, the problem was gone.” HOLY SPIRIT MADE HIS MAGIC on my truck!!

So I went to pick up my vehicle to try it out even if I did not believe in the action of the Holy Spirit and without much surprise after driving a few kilometres, the problem was still there. So I called the dealer immediately by Monday (they are closed during the weekend) and they told me they were to call me back later. The next day (Tuesday, February 11), I called them back and they asked me to bring the truck back in the middle of the day, while the entire mechanic team was present for a test drive with a mechanic. So I showed up in the middle of the afternoon and did a (very short) test drive of 1 km in the presence of the mechanic (a new mechanic who had never worked on my vehicle) and he was immediately STUNNED of how the smell of burnt rubber is STRONG and unbearable inside the cab when the HVAC is running.

I waited a few days without any news from them, then I filled a complaint at FCA Canada but the answer I got from FCA Canada is that there's not lemon law in Canada and that the dealership is responsible to any legal warranty on a vehicle. So I sent the dealer a "formal notice" that they should receive by today asking them to refund the truck or exchange it for a new truck with identical specifications or better. If they don't answer to my request, I can bring the case to a free legal service in Canada called C.A.M.V.A.P. (CANADIAN MOTOR VEHICLE ARBITRATION PLAN) who can bring my case in court in front of a judge for free. https://www.camvap.ca/

Remember that I have opened the initial case with my dealership about this problem back in mid-November 2019!!! Three months now! I first did several in and out at the dealership for troubleshooting (try and error) and then by the mid-January, they kept my truck for full-time troubleshooting.
wow mine was the transmision year later went away ? they didn't see anything wrong either sucks ! uphill passing the smell would be there when I put amsiol trainy in it never happen again ! still strong but 59,000 only

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Will be seeing Cranbrook Dodge on March 6 and will see that they say. I am still thinking regen is creating the smell. Have had this confirmed by some of my contractor friends.
I will keep you posted as to what Cranbrook Dodge says
has anyone have a exhaust tester in turck to make sure ur not going to dia using it ! remember the fords did that to cop cars years back ! and if u go around the truck ground level test too !

Mundo939

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Liters
I have seen cars smelling like that before and found the alternator or another accesorie not properly aligned causing the belt to wear

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I have seen cars smelling like that before and found the alternator or another accesorie not properly aligned causing the belt to wear
That's a good point! Also welcome to the forum!

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get your self a good respirator and take the dealer principle the service manager and a mechanic for a ride with the windows closed when then open the windows ask for a truck to use till they fix or replace
When they say it is fixed take them for another ride

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Hey was anything figured out for this? Just curious.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SimmZ

SimmZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Hey was anything figured out for this? Just curious.

Nop. It's currently under legal procedure, however because of the (obvious) COVID-19 situation, all courthouse are closed for an undetermined time.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Nop. It's currently under legal procedure, however because of the (obvious) COVID-19 situation, all courthouse are closed for an undetermined time.
Damn that's unfortunate. Was hoping it was solved. [emoji853] Best of luck hopefully it goes well.

OP
OP
SimmZ

SimmZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
*JUNE 15th 2020 UPDATE*

After 3 months of waiting, here's the conclusion of my case. As per March 6th, 2020, the dealer gave me back my truck, still not fixed because they can't find any solution to the bad burn smell problem. Then they tried to escalate the problem to the highest instance of FCA Canada to get the truck replaced, without success since in Canada there's no "lemon law" like in the US, so a car manufacturer can't be forced to compensate a customer without a court order. But because of COVID-19 worldwide situation, all court all around the country were closed for an unknown period.

On June 1st 2020, my local dealer decided to take care of the situation on their own and they offered to buy back my 2019 RAM Classic and sell me something else. So in the next days, I showed up at the dealer to look at the inventory to find a similar replacement truck, still a 2019 RAM Classic because if I want a direct exchange, I need to find a similar priced truck as well and the 2020 RAM Classic are much more expensive because they don't have at all the same discounts from FCA Canada.

But since I waited for 3 months for a solution, another major problem showed up. There's no remaining stock for a 2019 RAM 1500 Classic with the V6 3.6L by 800 KM around and no way at all for me to take a HEMI. At this point I stared to become a bit frustrated because I would not have found myself in this situation without the wait of 3 months which is for a part, the fault of the dealer! So the dealer owner ask me to wait a few minutes while they figure out what are the options... and they made my a very surprising offer.

They offered me their last stock unit of a 2019 RAM Big Horn (DT 5th Gen), Crew Cab, 4x4, with the new V6 3.6L eTorque. But not any Big Horn model... a fully loaded unit with the Luxury Package 2, Off-Road Package, Towing Package, LED Lightning Package and Cargo Package! And I get the Big Horn almost as a free exchange over my 2019 Classic SXT (only a very tiny extra money).

yQeMtjNs4KVslKA?width=660&height=497&cropmode=none.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
*JUNE 15th 2020 UPDATE*

After 3 months of waiting, here's the conclusion of my case. As per March 6th, 2020, the dealer gave me back my truck, still not fixed because they can't find any solution to the bad burn smell problem. Then they tried to escalate the problem to the highest instance of FCA Canada to get the truck replaced, without success since in Canada there's no "lemon law" like in the US, so a car manufacturer can't be forced to compensate a customer without a court order. But because of COVID-19 worldwide situation, all court all around the country were closed for an unknown period.

On June 1st 2020, my local dealer decided to take care of the situation on their own and they offered to buy back my 2019 RAM Classic and sell me something else. So in the next days, I showed up at the dealer to look at the inventory to find a similar replacement truck, still a 2019 RAM Classic because if I want a direct exchange, I need to find a similar priced truck as well and the 2020 RAM Classic are much more expensive because they don't have at all the same discounts from FCA Canada.

But since I waited for 3 months for a solution, another major problem showed up. There's no remaining stock for a 2019 RAM 1500 Classic with the V6 3.6L by 800 KM around and no way at all for me to take a HEMI. At this point I stared to become a bit frustrated because I would not have found myself in this situation without the wait of 3 months which is for a part, the fault of the dealer! So the dealer owner ask me to wait a few minutes while they figure out what are the options... and they made my a very surprising offer.

They offered me their last stock unit of a 2019 RAM Big Horn (DT 5th Gen), Crew Cab, 4x4, with the new V6 3.6L eTorque. But not any Big Horn model... a fully loaded unit with the Luxury Package 2, Off-Road Package, Towing Package, LED Lightning Package and Cargo Package! And I get the Big Horn almost as a free exchange over my 2019 Classic SXT (only a very tiny extra money).

yQeMtjNs4KVslKA?width=660&height=497&cropmode=none.jpg
That is awesome! Nice to see FCA has good dealers somewhere.

Buy them some poutine [emoji16]

Great truck too!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good job keeping on it, and shout out to your dealer for making you better than whole, that is great customer service!

marc cormier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
great conclusion, true that we don't have ''lemon law'' but we have something that almost nobody know called PAVAC (Programme d'arbitrage pour les véhicules automobiles du Canada). so in english it will sound like canadian car arbitration program. basicly a comitee that evaluate the claim and decide who is responsible. their call is final, if they say for example FCA need to replace your truck then they have to do it.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice resolution but it was a long time coming. At least someone stepped up to make it right. Congrats and nice truck.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956