RAM comes clean about Tow Payload Ratings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yes. With the 5th Gen Hemi 3.21 is 13900 GCWR and with 3.92 is 17000 GCWR.

The tow rating is a bit of a lie though. I have explained this to no end. But the GCWR for your truck is easy to find.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
View attachment 226888View attachment 226888

No slight of hand, here's a screenshot from while I'm typing a response. As mentioned, there's a nice increase in the payload difference between the Classic (4G) and 5G trucks. It was a known weakness in the 4G trucks and having a 1000 # payload wasn't exactly a selling point on a well equipped ecoD truck or a 1100# payload on a well equipped 4x4 hemi truck.
The top truck in each picture is a different wheelbase, so the difference in towing is probably the added weight of top truck in each screenshot.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And the maximum tow weight is probably never going to reached by most trucks since the maximum payload capacity is reached long before tow rating is reached. People, hitches, gasoline, and other paraphernalia in the cab/bed usually add up faster than people expect, and leftover payload available is often not all that much. Physics will eventually win if numbers are ignored and there is no add-on that will fix it, just always hope no one gets injured.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Payload rating is calculated based on how the trucks leave the factory and are usually limited by the number of passengers possible (calcs figure 150 lbs per passenger which is more than a little understated for people in this country), and the wheels and tires used.

Not a problem to replace the factory tires with ones with a higher payload rating and I gained 1100 lbs at the rear axle by doing this. I added SuperSprings and gained 1400 lbs. of suspension support at the rear axle. From the factory the truck has a payload rating of 2800 lbs and after the changes it could handle 4000 lbs. in the bed with no problems whatsoever and the truck was dead level with this amount of weight.

On the other hand I see trucks that are lifted or trucks that are lowered and the use of fancy wheels with low profile tires and the owners have greatly reduced the safe payload amount for their toys.

What has also changed is that Ram, Ford, and Chevy finally started to follow the SAE J2807 testing guidelines that Toyota alone had always been using with its trucks.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
usually limited by the number of passengers possible (calcs figure 150 lbs per passenger which is more than a little understated for people in this country), and the wheels and tires used.

This is wrong. ( AGAIN THIS IS WRONG)

Not a problem to replace the factory tires with ones with a higher payload rating and I gained 1100 lbs at the rear axle by doing this. I added SuperSprings and gained 1400 lbs. of suspension support at the rear axle. From the factory the truck has a payload rating of 2800 lbs and after the changes it could handle 4000 lbs. in the bed with no problems whatsoever and the truck was dead level with this amount of weight.

Trucks come from the factory with tires that exceed the axle rating.

And you may have believed you raised the hauling capacity...but you did nothing for the trucks ability to handle the load...to stop the load...to turn the load.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Payload rating is calculated based on how the trucks leave the factory and are usually limited by the number of passengers possible (calcs figure 150 lbs per passenger which is more than a little understated for people in this country), and the wheels and tires used.

On the other hand I see trucks that are lifted or trucks that are lowered and the use of fancy wheels with low profile tires and the owners have greatly reduced the safe payload amount for their toys.

What has also changed is that Ram, Ford, and Chevy finally started to follow the SAE J2807 testing guidelines that Toyota alone had always been using with its trucks.
oh brother. Still putting out inaccurate info

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Those numbers are not correct. I can guarantee you there is no 2020 0r 2019 Ram Laramie 4X4 Hemi that has a payload of 1790 or 1840. That was apparently what RAM finally corrected.

true..my laramie has only 1324#. I kick myself for not checking that before making the deal..going from a '17 ccsb 4x4 sierra slt. on the other hand my laramie pulls our 6000# trailer much better than the sierra and is a lot more fun to drive.

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI

i'd like to see a pic of 4000lbs in the back of this truck, owners with 3500's would be jealous....Just saying...
I put a set of 6000lbs timbrens in the back of mine to help when towing my travel trailer, My truck started with a 1680lbs payload from the door sticker, not a website. Am i at 7680lbs now? :bs:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
4th Gen 2wd had 6700 GVWR and 4wd 6900 GVWR

The 5th Gen got 6lug axles and bigger brakes.
2wd has 6900 GVWR 4wd has 7100 GVWR

So the 5th Gen is 200lbs more capable.

There are limited 5th gens with RamBox MFT and pano sunroof that have just 900lbs payload.

These trucks are heavy.

Tradesman can have upto 2300lbs though.

Yep my 2020 Loaded out Limited has 1090 payload. Rambox, MFT, sunroof, air supension...ect

Also remember these truck are 4" longer than the 4th Gen (in CC short bed)

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i'd like to see a pic of 4000lbs in the back of this truck, owners with 3500's would be jealous....Just saying...
I put a set of 6000lbs timbrens in the back of mine to help when towing my travel trailer, My truck started with a 1680lbs payload from the door sticker, not a website. Am i at 7680lbs now? :bs:
Just wanted to tell you these two stories and am not saying this is right. There was a 1st gen Durango in my town that used to tow a trailer so heavy that the rear bumper hit the ground on bumps. Another one is my a buddy had a 87 Ram 4spd with creeper that had so much weight in the bed he blew a rear tire. Going to the dump and the scale said he had 5600lbs in the bed.

I'm guilty of towing overloaded. My 01 Ram 2500 towed 18,000lbs a few times. The right information needs to be more accessible for people though

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
you're right. my son has a '17 laramie equipped just like mine but with a nice Leer topper and he loads the bed with gear and even a big pile of firewood when we go camping with our similar size travel trailers in tow. I am close to the max with just me and the wife and a few things in the bed after I hook up the trailer and my '19 has 200# higher gvwr. I am thinking there must be a very large safety factor built in to the max cargo number on the door because neither of our trucks even sag down more than an inch or so when supposedly loaded to the max.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of the things I really appreciated about RAM was that they make it easy to look up towing capacity by VIN. That way when you are looking at a truck whether new or used, it is VERY easy to figure out the towing capacity for that particular vehicle. For other brands it would take me forever looking at charts and feature cross-references to try to figure it out and was never sure I was right. With this, it was very easy for me to look for RAM trucks online and determine if they would do the job.
View attachment 227619
Only way to go

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Cmon now. I had another member tell me that changing tires makes NO difference in tow capacity. The rear axle determines the tow rating. ;-)

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Cmon now. I had another member tell me that changing tires makes NO difference in tow capacity. The rear axle determines the tow rating. ;-)
You can try reasoning with him but to no avail. If you look at replies to a bunch of his post you'll see countless numbers of other members calling his BS.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The best way to start a fight in a bar or a forum isn to talk poly-ticks, truck preferences, or towing. Even when inside the limits.

bobeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2017
Engine
Hemi 6.4, 5.7
I'm going to pick the highest numbers the inter webs gives me and pretend I didn't see any of the others.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963