Ram exhaust Manifold leak

should they have replace the manifold as well

• should I complain to the dealer

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • should I try to get a recall going

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mario mejia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys

I have a 2015 Ram 1500 single cab with exhaust manifold leak,
truck has only 45000 miles on it and leak goes away after about ten minutes . So I took the truck to the local dealer.After talking to the service rep at the dealer all they are doing is the bolts the busted off the manifold and the manifold gasket. Ask the rep why aren't they changing out the manifold since that the reason they busted the bolts off the manifold. Rep said , no need to waste 700 to 800 dollars on it but its under warranty still.

Has anybody been threw something like this

Really disappointed in the Ram 1500 Right now .......

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just curious, what are the symptoms of an exhaust manifold leak?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I know this sucks but 1 option is buy the manifolds and have the dealer reinstall the new ones. At least you can get free labor.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have them pull the manifolds and have them mill them. They should be done flexing.
Or buy some headers and have them install headers.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hey guys

truck has only 45000 miles on it and leak goes away after about ten minutes . So I took the truck to the local dealer.After talking to the service rep at the dealer all they are doing is the bolts the busted off the manifold and the manifold gasket. Ask the rep why aren't they changing out the manifold since that the reason they busted the bolts off the manifold. Rep said , no need to waste 700 to 800 dollars on it but its under warranty still.

I never heard dealer replace the manifolds. The proper way to do it is to resurface the manifolds so they're not warped and replace all bolts. That's if you actually get lucky enough to get a good mechanic

Oftentimes, they'll just change the bolts on the warped manifold and put it back on to get rid of you and send you home asap. And you'll be right back when another bolt snaps, until you run out of warranty. I've had it fixed 3 times on my 2013 and last time they messed up the head trying to drill out broken bolt and I had to wait one month for them to install new head

You can insist on them resurfacing the manifolds and require them to show it to you before mounting them back on.. That's what I would do.

I've also heard that you can install shorties manifolds and that is supposed to take care of this problem forever

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The "juice isn't worth the squeeze" when it comes to trying and getting the dealership to actually fix the problem and replace the warped manifolds. Get them to fix the studs and replace the gaskets, hopefully they won't destroy a head like @Kap1 mentioned. Once you get that done then buy your choice of headers, LTs or shorties, and fix your broken bolts/warped manifolds forever.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to add shorties and new bolts before mine break

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
We replace pretty much every manifold when we do the repair. We used to get them machined, but FCA said they won’t pay to have that done anymore, the manifold should be replaced if it’s warped beyond spec.

I’ve never seen one that wasn’t way beyond spec. The spec is 0.008”/foot, most the ones I see are in the 0.050” range. So they’re trashed.

We even got in **** from one of the head warranty guys that came down for replacing to many. Told us “other dealers aren’t replacing them”, that’s cause they don’t bother to actually inspect them.

I honestly don’t know why other dealers don’t replace them, it’s easier, and greatly reduces the chances of the bolts breaking again.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We replace pretty much every manifold when we do the repair. We used to get them machined, but FCA said they won’t pay to have that done anymore, the manifold should be replaced if it’s warped beyond spec.

I’ve never seen one that wasn’t way beyond spec. The spec is 0.008”/foot, most the ones I see are in the 0.050” range. So they’re trashed.

We even got in **** from one of the head warranty guys that came down for replacing to many. Told us “other dealers aren’t replacing them”, that’s cause they don’t bother to actually inspect them.

I honestly don’t know why other dealers don’t replace them, it’s easier, and greatly reduces the chances of the bolts breaking again.

Thank you.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Yep us too, we are on restriction for doing so many and have to get pre authorized for every one we do.

It really chaps my ass, FCA talks about "fix it the first time"and "customer satisfaction"
then turns around and punishes the dealers who are doing the job correctly.

They should be checking why other dealers aren't replacing warped manifolds, not punishing the dealers who are.

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I never heard dealer replace the manifolds. The proper way to do it is to resurface the manifolds so they're not warped and replace all bolts. That's if you actually get lucky enough to get a good mechanic

Oftentimes, they'll just change the bolts on the warped manifold and put it back on to get rid of you and send you home asap. And you'll be right back when another bolt snaps, until you run out of warranty. I've had it fixed 3 times on my 2013 and last time they messed up the head trying to drill out broken bolt and I had to wait one month for them to install new head

You can insist on them resurfacing the manifolds and require them to show it to you before mounting them back on.. That's what I would do.

I've also heard that you can install shorties manifolds and that is supposed to take care of this problem forever

When my manifold bolts broke on my '13 1500, Dewey Dodge in Ankeny, IA replaced both manifolds because they were warped. I do not remember if they machined the originals and could not make it work or just decided to go new. The tick on mine started early, before 24,000 miles but with all the trouble and warranty work I had going I was almost sick thinking about dealing with them again so put if off til 98,000 miles. Anyway, emissions is covered under the 100,000 mile warranty and an exhaust manifold leak is 'emissions' and they went with new.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
When my manifold bolts broke on my '13 1500, Dewey Dodge in Ankeny, IA replaced both manifolds because they were warped. I do not remember if they machined the originals and could not make it work or just decided to go new. The tick on mine started early, before 24,000 miles but with all the trouble and warranty work I had going I was almost sick thinking about dealing with them again so put if off til 98,000 miles. Anyway, emissions is covered under the 100,000 mile warranty and an exhaust manifold leak is 'emissions' and they went with new.

I think you're very lucky to have such great dealership near you. Please don't forget to send them a thank you card this Christmas :)

sgtryanusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh, Lord. I have mine scheduled to go in after work Monday so it's nice and cold for them on Tues. I'm certain there are 2 or more broken on the RH side, the LH is UNK - not making any noise. I have the Allstate Extended Warranty and I called them to double check before I take it in. They said they will not cover just the studs; only if the manifolds are warped. If the manifolds are not warped, how did the bolts break?
I'm pretty weary ablout this particular stealership potentially drilling on my motor. Also worried they will try to only do one side and / or only change the bolts that are broken even after specific instruction to change them all. There has never been a good vibe at this place and they recently had a huge turnover...

(2014 RAM 1500 2WD 5.7L CC EXPRESS w/ 75K)

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
****^^^if you feel that way drive to another dealership even if it's further away. Going in if you think they are going to do a ****** job, you'll probably get just what you expected.
Jay

sgtryanusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
True. Other options are an hour away each. I'll feel it out...
OORAH!!!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
An hour away--hell here in Texas that's just a short drive--about 2-3 beers
LOL
Jay

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys

If the manifold isn't warped, why would you expect them to replace it?

If it is warped, why wouldn't they replace it?

I'm guessing it aint broke, and you got no milk carton to stand on.

I had a warped manifold and bolts replaced under warranty at 36K. Dealer laid the ole manifold on the concrete floor and it wouldn't lie flat. No brainer. A lot of folks however just break bolts.

Why does it happen?
The cast iron manifold and the aluminum head heat and cool at different rates because of the nature of the different metal. This strains the bolts to the breaking point over time. Neither large element has to warp to do that. If the seating surfaces still mate properly you are without further warranty claim. Some recommend grade eight bolts, but I think that is too strong and may warp something expensive. You can also go with shorty headers fairly affordably since they don't change your O2 sensors.

When the bolts break again (and they will) maybe you will still be under the 5yr/100K drivetrain warranty.

Reactions: JB1

ChargerFan1904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2012 1500 5.7 & it sounds like **** on the passenger pretty bad & slightly on the driver. So if I replace the manifolds, gaskets obviously & the bolts.... checked and found from Dorman, will the studs break again & if so how many miles usually.

I was trying to see if getting headers on both sides is worth the $ and better off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn