RAM Key types

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cesar592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
can be changed from a transponder key to a tip start keyfob

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
can be changed from a transponder key to a tip start keyfob

Yes, it can be done. Trucks older than 2017 may need a new RF hub and you will need the appropriate keyfobs and a copy of AlphaOBD and a OBDLink MX or MX+.

-K

Cesar592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Thanks for your quick response

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I have the tip-start. Was wondering if there is a way to dress it up a bit. It's about the most basic And plain Looking fob imaginable. Would be cool to have some chrome accents or a Ram head logo...

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have the tip-start. Was wondering if there is a way to dress it up a bit. It's about the most basic And plain Looking fob imaginable. Would be cool to have some chrome accents or a Ram head logo...

I've seen both rubber and metal cases for the Tip Start keys. I bought a metal one for mine, but I ended up taking it back off because it reduced the range. I just keep a RAM keychain on it for decoration.

-K

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I've seen both rubber and metal cases for the Tip Start keys. I bought a metal one for mine, but I ended up taking it back off because it reduced the range. I just keep a RAM keychain on it for decoration.

-K

Do you remember where you found them? Been looking all over Amazon and Google and can't find anything.

2017azlaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible to change from tip start to key less? Truck is 2017 Laramie. My son has a habit of breaking tip start fobs.

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Is it possible to change from tip start to key less? Truck is 2017 Laramie. My son has a habit of breaking tip start fobs.

I believe so...there is likely mention of it in the DIY section of the forum under keyless start retrofit.

Another idea occurred to me...which would be less work...and cheaper than buying new fobs at the dealer.

If your son is hard on the tip start fobs, just buy a couple more as spares and program them yourself...I did this on my 2020 Tradesman:

Aupoko GQ4-53T 4 Buttons Keyless Entry Fob, 2 PC Programmable Remote Keys, Replace# 56046955,56046955AG, 56046955AA, 56046955AB, Fits for 2013-2018 Dodge Ram 1500 2500 3500
by Aupoko
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZNWYY9W/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_adF7FbPCSPZY8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Of course it requires:

1. AnOBDLink MX+ OBD module
2. AlfaOBD software
3. A security bypass harness for 2018+ trucks, but you indicated you have a 2017 so you won’t need it.

The two fobs were $28 on Amazon; the MX+ unit was about $100 and AlfaOBD Full version is $49 for Android devices.

I already had the MX+ and AlfaOBD as I use it in many other mods you can find here on the forum; adding 2 more fobs and resetting the RF Hub took about 10-15 minutes. This procedure is well-documented under the AlfaOBD section of this forum.

BTW...the link to the fobs are for ones with the remote start capability...which I later added with some simple wiring and using AlfaOBD.

The 3-button remotes are here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZNX32ZK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ApF7FbHH0X2GN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chef Ed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question
I have a 2 Transponder Keys that came with the truck , it is a Non Remote 2020 1500 Tradesman.
Can I program a 3rd key myself or is this a dealer only process?
thanks
Ed

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know what the 6th button on the Keyless is for??? I have the Rebel, so I have Remote Start, and I can drop the air ride from the fob, plus the standard lock/unlock/scare the **** out of the 2 year old when you fat finger the panic button at the store and the cart is next to the driver wheel (panic button)...

But I keep looking at #6 thinking "What the duck is this meant for??? And can I use it for whatever that is?" I have the solder pads, and traces, but no button, which I can fix if it does anything.

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Anyone know what the 6th button on the Keyless is for??? I have the Rebel, so I have Remote Start, and I can drop the air ride from the fob, plus the standard lock/unlock/scare the **** out of the 2 year old when you fat finger the panic button at the store and the cart is next to the driver wheel (panic button)...

But I keep looking at #6 thinking "What the duck is this meant for??? And can I use it for whatever that is?" I have the solder pads, and traces, but no button, which I can fix if it does anything.

The only example I could find with all 6 buttons used was for a mini-van with the bottom two being for the power sliding doors.

-K

1660778644285.png

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

2022 Dodge Ram 1500 Smart Remote Key Fob w/Air Suspension, Remote Start, Power Tailgate​

1660815539596.png

damn, did not try to make it so big

Canadaram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had my keyless entry system hacked and the dealership doesn't have any and they are on back order.
I'm looking for a way to disconnect the keyless entry and remote start from the fuse box if possible.
I bought the truck in October and these things are getting stolen left right and center around me. It's in a locked garage with the battery disconnected

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
CanadaRam,
Stop using your Remote to Lock & Unlock Chrysler vehicles when you are out in Public Places.

If you are not sending a signal with the FOB, thieves can't catch the signal.
Buy Faraday Pouches for all of your FOBs
Remove FOB batteries of FOBs that are only left in your home as a spare

There is a company that makes Faraday Cages, boxes, pouches, RFID Card Holders
They are in Vancouver, they are called https://godarkbags.com/

There are several other companies, most are in China

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had my keyless entry system hacked and the dealership doesn't have any and they are on back order.
I'm looking for a way to disconnect the keyless entry and remote start from the fuse box if possible.
I bought the truck in October and these things are getting stolen left right and center around me. It's in a locked garage with the battery disconnected
There is a known flaw in the "secure" fobs/garage door openers, where they only use a specific code 1x, but they don't "kill off" old codes. So people sit around near houses/parking lots, waiting for you to hit the remote button, grab the single use code, but (i don't remember how exactly) they prevent it from being sent to your intended target, you assume you must have mis-clicked/been out of range, so you hit it again, and that one works, as the "n+1" signal, but the original code they have saved.

That's generally how it happens. It's a high skill attack, so the groups involved don't care enough, as in their minds it's a lot of effort to prevent a "small" amount of attacks. (It shouldn't be a lot of work, but they just don't care enough.)