RAM OUT SELLS CHEVROLET FOR 2019

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s worth noting though that combining Silverado with GMC Sierra sales still puts them above ram. Because let’s be honest, it’s the same dang truck

And doesn’t Ford get the big numbers by including F series up to at least 550 and maybe 750?

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
And doesn’t Ford get the big numbers by including F series up to at least 550 and maybe 750?

I don't think so. F-150 is a separate category, just as is RAM 1500 and the GM 1500s vs the so-called "heavy duties".

According to this article (because 2019 sales are not complete yet), F-150 still beats the combined GM brands, although RAM does beat the more popular Chevy badge by a little bit.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/trucks/10-most-popular-trucks

But, as has been alluded to in prior posts, while it's great the RAM* is getting some kudos, all that matters to me is what matters to me. I could not care less about sales records - I don't (I don't think) own any stock in any of the contenders, so all that matters to me is how I like it. And, I LOVE my RAM, far more than any other truck I've ever owned or even driven.

*Frankly I believe (even though I did not graduate from the Wharton School of Business and didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night) that FCA really hurt themselves when they decided to take RAM on as a separate brand. Actually, I shouldn't say that the decision was bad - I'm not enough of an expert to judge that - but what I can say is that the execution of the separation has been abysmal. Tell me, out of 100 people who talk about your truck, how many refer to it as a Dodge? For me, even among people who are what I would consider fairly vehicle-oriented, I bet that more than 80% call my truck a Dodge. Sorry, FCA - that is a MAJOR FAIL!!!!

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I'm mostly with you. Have had a few:

1984 Accord sedan (was my fiance's when we got married)
1988 Corolla All-Trac wagon (great car)
2006 Honda Element (one of our all-round favorite vehicles)

I think that's it. Out of somewhere between 30 and 50 passenger vehicles it's definitely a minority.

Side note: do people maintain a list of cars/trucks they've owned? I started a list probably 20 years ago but haven't maintained it. Would be hard pressed to come up with an accurate list today...
I don’t write lists of anything. I figure if I can’t remember it it ain’t worth remember’n. That woman I live....what’s her name again?..Anyway, she doesn’t much care for my attitude about such things but you did make me think about my automotive history. I still can’t remember them all and my head hurts now.... thanks for that...but a few stand out: 1960 F100 6’ bed, 6 cylinder 3 on the tree. Poured 90W gear grease in the engine to keep it from smoking. loved that truck, wish I had I back. 1968 Camaro RS, until I blew the engine racing it. I was 16, dad took it away before I killed myself and handed me the keys to mom’s 67 BelAire 4D sedan. 74 Chevy Cheyenne C10 until I blew the engine racing it. Rebuilt it but it was never as good as before so I sold it. 77 Olds Delta 88 2dr w/403, sweet ride. Flat wore that one out. 83 Olds 98 2dr loaded with ALL the goodies of the day. Another sweet ride I just wore out. 89 Lincoln Continental, sweet ride...when it would run, but ultimately a major P.O.S. AAA blackballed this car after towing too many times in a year. All three of my Ram trucks.....now, Tylenol please. Oh....one more. It wasn’t mine but I remember it well. My brother’s 1973 3 cylinder 750 Kawasaki. I hit 140 on that thing one night. Stupid but a great memory.

Last edited:

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh....one more. It wasn’t mine but I remember it well. My brother’s 1973 3 cylinder 750 Kawasaki. I hit 140 on that thing one night. Stupid but a great memory.

Keith, I’m sure you realize that most guys that climbed aboard those Kaw triples never made it home. I had an old article that pronounced them as one of the deadliest bikes ever. I had one and it scared the hell out of me.

rzims

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Personally, I think the fact that Ram is doing well is great. I love my new truck. I do think though that any of the top 3 are good solid, decent trucks nowadays.
I had an 05 F150 4x4 extended cab that I loved and only sold it and bought a Jeep GC because I was hauling grandkids on a regular basis and needed more interior space and better gas mileage. When I started shopping for a new truck I really wanted an F150 lariat with the coyote motor, but couldn't find a dealer that would take my money. (or would take what I wanted to pay actually)
The Ram dealer gave me a good deal on this truck and more than the Jeep was worth on trade in, so now I own a Ram.
After driving it for a few weeks and driving my co-workers F150 Lariat over the weekend, I'm really liking the Ram much more. Rides better, actually sounds like a V8 and the interior just seems to be nicer.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always liked chevy brands and engines, but holy crap the new trucks are the ugliest things I've ever seen.
Ram is the most aesthetic truck out there, imo.

I know lots of new vehicles have to "Grow" on you, but i have to agree, some of them look ok, but some of them, especially the plain work truck type white with black grill, good lord, absoloutely hideous.

Heres one, may change later but link is good for now.

https://www.donhattan.com/new-vehicles/silverado-1500/

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've always liked chevy brands and engines, but holy crap the new trucks are the ugliest things I've ever seen.
Ram is the most aesthetic truck out there, imo.

For all my life until 5 years ago I was a diehard GM fan. But I grew up in the '70s when (to my adolescent mind) Chevy was King ( the '70s Dodge and Fords were stuck in the '60s!). Of course it wasn't based on anything real - certainly nothing objective. My first truck was a '79 short box stepside with a 4 sp and 350. Great truck, bought it in 1985 with 8,000 miles on it.

Owned maybe half a dozen GMs after that, until the fateful day I bought a '14 GMC 1500/5.3 with 6sp. Thing was a DOG! Sold it with 4,000 miles on the clock, took a bath but it was one of the most cleansing bath I ever took. RAM ever since!

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Well you know what they say about Chebbys is they are like Chubby Checker and the twist, both gone with the wind. LOL

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Might want to skip to the 11 minute mark. Even though Ford is still in first. They lost sales. Ram gained 18 percent.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
You should realize that GM truck sales are not rolled into the Chevrolet truck sales numbers. Also if you look at total sales of medium and light duty trucks the numbers for Ram are better than those for Ford and Chevy and GM combined and have been for several years.

Ram and Ford are the only truck manufacturers to put serious money into new designs and engineering and so it is small wonder that GM and Chevy truck owners are switching to Ram or Ford.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963