Ram Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cal dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody else disappointed with the quality of the ram?

I had a head gasket leak water into the oil I took the head off and found a defect in the metal of the head it had like a worm hole in it.

The paint seems to deteriorate after 10 or 12 years.

The plastic Dash just cracks for no reason at all, now the whole thing is practically cracked in pieces. Just from the sun I don’t know where they get the plastic from it is probably recycled water bottles. I have vinyl seats but the driver seat is just completely torn up.

Since I repaired the head I haven’t had any real problems with the engine and I have a five speed manual transmission seems pretty good a little noisy but I have not had to fix that and I have about 120,000 miles on it I had to put a new clutch on it and so the second clutch has held up very well. I did put a quality clutch plate and throwout bearing on it.

I wish they would do a better job on their trucks, and use better qualityMaterial for their dashes and the material that they use for their seats and the paint.

I personally might look at a Chevy truck next time.

Not to mention the stock shocks I remember going down the freeway at 70 or 80 miles an hour on a curve and if you hit a bump in the freeway the whole truck would just jump over into the next lane. Lately I just drive around with a engine in the back so that it has plenty of weight and doesn’t jump around.

I would love to always buy American trucks but have been disappointed as of late with the quality especially the Dodge.

Sincerely Cal dodge 04/18/2021

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Almost 20 years old, not bad. Lasted much longer than vehicles in the 60's did.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Gen 4s are even more colossal pieces of junk.

But Its the same for all other manifactures, they build them to last the warrenty period.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You're complaining about quality issues of a 19 year old truck with 120k miles on it? Ok, you had a legitimate head gasket issue but admittedly had no other engine issues. What else? Cracked vinyl in a car from California....Was it garaged or did it sit out baking in California sun for years? Who takes a truck 70 or 80 mph around a curve and wouldn't expect it to jump (at the minimum) after hitting a bump? At 70 or 80 mph???
I mean if you had a long list of issues you'd have a point, but 2 out of 3 of your "quality issues" don't really seem like quality issues.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have almost a 20 year old truck. I will take pictures of my 2002 Work truck. It’s a Silverado. You want to talk about crap paint. Let’s talk headliner with GM. The stupid gear GM put to control the switch between defrost and vents that goes to crap and even the quality replacements don’t truly fix it. GM painted their dash so it flakes and looks like crap. Ford was just as bad from 97-03 f150 dashes. Dodge until the 4th gen was cheaper I’ll admit that. Head? Assuming you have the 4.7 as they were known to crack. I had a 03. Transmission noise? It’s an older truck. I had 02 f150 standard shift and that’s just how it is with those model years. You got 120k out of your stock clutch... Are you the original owner is what I should have asked to start. I have a feeling this is a troll post. We shall see. Back at it, what stock shock actually makes it 120k? Have you really looked this up? You are lucky with any truck to get 100k out of stock shocks. Let me guess your headlight connector on the passenger side has failed, your third brake light is leaking into the cab. I can go on blah blah blah. I was a Ford nut for 20 years. My dad was a GM nut for 40 years. I owned my ram sold it to him and bought it back. Neither of us can ever doubt the build of the Ram. He dumped GM for a ecoboost Ford, but sadly enough my 2012 gets better mpg than his V6...

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Gen 4s are even more colossal pieces of junk.

But Its the same for all other manifactures, they build them to last the warrenty period.
How I must ask? Hemi tick? The absolute only thing that has failed on my 12 is the driver seat motor.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
It amazes me how people ***** about mechanical components failing. Like there is some expectation that they will last indefinitely with or without maintenance. That parts won’t fail over time and exposure to the elements.

When did the perpetual machine get built because I missed it. And most people don’t even keep a vehicle for 100k miles or 10 years anymore. Let alone do the maintenance required to keep it running that long.

I got my wife a 97 jimmy for 2k and it needed new tires, new alternator, battery, reverse went out on the transmission so that’s getting rebuilt. The gas tanks held up with a ratchet strap and the fuel pump isn’t even mounted to the tank. Just sitting there. Rear brakes need to be redone. Like everything. And I need a metal line from the t valve to the passenger brake cylinder.

Most would call all of that a waste of money. But whether i spend the money on a monthly car payment over 4-8 years or upfront on a vehicle that will be good for another 15 years doesn’t matter. It all balances out. Just depends on how you decide to spend it.

The debate over paid off and maintenance or car payment and no maintenance has been around since the first automobile.

Things will always break and need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I have owned many different truck makes.....Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota. They all have their good and bad points. However, I can say with all honesty, my 2021 Ram has been exceptional in all aspects so far. Quality of build (fit and finish and lack of rattles or squeaks, panel alignment, etc.) has met all expectations, and all mechanicals have been spot on as well.

Hell.....my 2017 Porsche 911 had more rattles and squeaks from the interior than my Ram at the same mileage, and Porsche (supposedly) is known for their build quality!

That said....maybe I just got lucky with my Ram.....who knows??

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sounds to me like he got more than his money's worth out of that truck.

I think retired is right about him being a troll. It's unusual that someone would join a forum just to make that their first post.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Love my Gen IV. Best truck I've ever owned. No Hemi tick, and I'm keeping it that way with a little more expensive engine oil. Geez, if that's all it takes, what's all the griping about?

The thing is more comfortable, reliable, and dependable than any Chevy or Ford I ever owned. Yes, I've owned them all.