RAM RMT or keep what I have

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badkittie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Hey guys, I need some advice. I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 4x2 that I have modified a bit with headers, cold air intake, throttle body spacer, new rims, upgraded the seats from cloth to leather, new deck and speakers. I love my truck, bought her brand new but, I'm thinking about a 2022 RAM with the RMT overland package. It comes with a 6" lift, 4x4, oversize 35 tires, bed liner, and track system for the bed.
What are your thoughts on trading in my baby for a new one? Any insight into the RMT package? Any things I should know or be aware of? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Never heard of it, how much are we talking? And what are your plans for it?

Last edited:

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
"RMT" is not a factory package. This is added after production. The questions to ask are these: The package claims to have the same basic warranty as the factory truck warranty, but will this warranty be honored by a non-RMT selling dealer should you have a failure that could be related to a lift/tire package? If not, you'll have to have any of those warranty repairs completed by the dealer you purchased it at. Some dealers use RMT parts and local shops to install them...Some dealers install themselves. Either way, it's not factory so buyer beware. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with this setup, just don't purchase it without awareness. Just my $.02, and it's worth what yu paid for it.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Never heard of it, how much are we talking? And what are your plans for it?
Rocky Mountain Truckworks ;)

I'm sure they are good quality builds; I just don't like the combination of a 6" lift on a 1500 with 22" wheels. Smells like pavement queen to me.

Edit:

If you plan on spending some money anyway, I'd rather check with AEV dealers and see if they have any 1500 in stock.

OP
OP
badkittie

badkittie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Rocky Mountain Truckworks ;)

I'm sure they are good quality builds; I just don't like the combination of a 6" lift on a 1500 with 22" wheels. Smells like pavement queen to me.

Edit:

If you plan on spending some money anyway, I'd rather check with AEV dealers and see if they have any 1500 in stock.
What are AEV dealers? Sorry not familiar with that acronym.
Also, I know RMT isn't factory installed, it is just a package, but I was looking at an upgrade. I feel like if I'm going to trade my truck in, it should be for something better. I appreciate everyone's feedback so far, lots to think about! Also, the dealer did just drop the price by $1,000.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Also, I know RMT isn't factory installed, it is just a package, but I was looking at an upgrade. I feel like if I'm going to trade my truck in, it should be for something better. I appreciate everyone's feedback so far, lots to think about! Also, the dealer did just drop the price by $1,000.
https://www.aev-conversions.com/ is an aftermarket package as well.

Their 1500 model is called "Recruit" and looks very good. AEV has a rather good reputation here where I live and I've seen quite a bit driving around.

The only thing that confuses me is that I can find the link to the Recruit, but it's not mentioned on their website anymore. Not sure if they stopped offering them.

They have their own forum, if you'd like to have a look.

OP
OP
badkittie

badkittie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
https://www.aev-conversions.com/ is an aftermarket package as well.

Their 1500 model is called "Recruit" and looks very good. AEV has a rather good reputation here where I live and I've seen quite a bit driving around.

The only thing that confuses me is that I can find the link to the Recruit, but it's not mentioned on their website anymore. Not sure if they stopped offering them.

They have their own forum, if you'd like to have a look.

It looks like they have the Prospector and Prospector XL, both use the 2500, which I don't want to go with. Also, I didn't find any that are near me to look at. But thank you for the info, I never heard of RMT either until I did some research on it. ;-)

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Other than warranty concerns(Ram and the company) the description says proprietary materials used. If you have a problem, you have to back there.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Again, not my cup of tea. But ask about the parts, warranties, etc. and if after comparing to others you think it's a good idea then go for it.

We are kind of in the same boat. I've been wanting to upgrade to a 2500 but a) we don't really need one right now and b) prices are ridiculous and I'm just not willing to pay that. Period. Our 1500 got everything I wanted and we'll just keep it. It's a great truck.

If you love your truck and it doesn't cause any issues, then I think I'd hang on to it until things are getting better economy wise.

So I'd do a pro/con list and then go from there.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
That is why I asked how much, too much and might as well go TRX

OP
OP
badkittie

badkittie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
That is why I asked how much, too much and might as well go TRX
Sorry! This one is priced just a little over $55k, the TRX that is being built is over $80k. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a TRX with the 6.4L, but I can't fathom paying that much for a truck! I paid over $40k for my current truck when I bought it brand new in 2010.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sorry! This one is priced just a little over $55k, the TRX that is being built is over $80k. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a TRX with the 6.4L, but I can't fathom paying that much for a truck! I paid over $40k for my current truck when I bought it brand new in 2010.
All good man! At 55k seems like a nice truck. And would be a good upgrade.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
So, my $0.02

Were it me, and I had zero budget constraints and didn't have to finance my truck, sure, I'd get a whole host of things installed there. But, if you're buying a Dealer modified vehicle, and it also has proprietary components, and you're financing it.... that's a lot of extra interest you're going to pay for some modified components that may or may not be quality products. And then you're stuck with that Dealer to get your truck serviced at.

And the big scary thing I see is "Proprietary" - that's a dangerous word in the modified world as far as I'm concerned. Wouldn't you like to have mods on your truck that are known industry quality products that have service and support abilities across the nation that are backed by credible warranties?

So, for my buck, and being a car guy, I'd say trade your truck in for whatever max value you can get for it. Get yourself a nice platform to start with, say a Warlock 1500, or some other 1500 platform, and then you upgrade your truck with quality parts purchased at known suppliers and installed by known and credible shops that know exactly what they are doing with the Ram platform.