Ram Tailgate Recall U74 information and repair procedure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw the p/n on here somewhere, it's like a $1 part

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this the same as the new V44 tailgate recall I just got?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I ordered the part, the postage was more than the part. Also I have read that some people continue to have problems even after the "new" part has been installed. I don't have the part number any more--sorry
Jay

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I ordered the part, the postage was more than the part. Also I have read that some people continue to have problems even after the "new" part has been installed. I don't have the part number any more--sorry
Jay

I’m pretty sure this is it but how are people still having problems?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is the replacement part I think. I'm not sure about the continuing problems it's been awhile since I read about it--some people just reported that the tailgate still fell down while driving down the road. Could be the replacement part was not installed correctly or ????????? I'm not sure
Jay

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
U74 includes 2015-2017 Ram Trucks with five or six-foot cargo beds.

V44 includes 2015-2017 Ram Trucks with an eight-foot cargo bed and 2018 trucks cargo beds.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Well that was easy. Called the local Ram dealer and asked for part #68448027AA, they had it. 5 minutes later had it in my hand. Came home and 5 more minutes later it's in. Inspected all the plastic actuator parts and nothing looks cracked. Also found a foam "donut" around the left rod was out of place, and probably why that side rattled. I just slid it to the right under the sheet metal, like the other side was, and now it's quieter. Lock also seems a bit quieter in operation. BTW I had disabled auto-lock shortly after bringing the truck home. I suspected it was causing the truck to lock on it's own on occasion.

Block.jpg Block in.jpg Foam Donut.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well that was easy. Called the local Ram dealer and asked for part #68448027AA, they had it. 5 minutes later had it in my hand. Came home and 5 more minutes later it's in. Inspected all the plastic actuator parts and nothing looks cracked. Also found a foam "donut" around the left rod was out of place, and probably why that side rattled. I just slid it to the right under the sheet metal, like the other side was, and now it's quieter. Lock also seems a bit quieter in operation. BTW I had disabled auto-lock shortly after bringing the truck home. I suspected it was causing the truck to lock on it's own on occasion.

View attachment 167768 View attachment 167769 View attachment 167770

I sure wish there would some day be uniformity between dealers. The place I took mine to wouldn’t sell me that little rubber block. Said that recall work had to be a documented, dealer repair.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 167768 View attachment 167769 View attachment 167770

I sure wish there would some day be uniformity between dealers. The place I took mine to wouldn’t sell me that little rubber block. Said that recall work had to be a documented, dealer repair.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

I had read that they would refuse to sell it to you, so I specifically did not mention “recall” when I called them. I just asked if they had that part number. He looked it up, said that’s an actuator block, and yes we do have it. I still have an open recall on the passenger airbag so when I finally take it in for that they can check just make sure the block is there, and inspect the latch themselves if they want to make it “official”, but is far as I’m concerned it’s done. Just didn’t have time to sit there and wait for them to do it right now, and I do carry items in the bed for my work, so I wanted to make sure it was fixed.

By the way my tailgate functioned fine, never fell open. Just had that little rattle which was no big deal.

Last edited: