RAM Turbo/Exhaust Brake Issue??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My4x4tune

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Cummins
Reposted in 4th Gen Forum, Thank you!

Last edited:

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome to the forum.

Post your question in the 4th generation section. You will get some help.

Red

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did they replace the actuator as well as the turbo or just the turbo? Rare for the turbo to fail but a fairly common issue to have the actuator fail. I know you have no check engine light but have you tried scanning for codes anyway?

OP
OP
My4x4tune

My4x4tune

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Cummins
Two thank you’s for getting back!! PapaRed; I tried posting initially in the 4th gen forum but I got a message that said I could not post there, or anywhere for that matter! LOL! Mtnrider; yes, I took it to my mechanic and he said the same thing so he looked for any codes but couldn’t pull any. Not sure what all was replaced except “the turbo unit” that’s all I know, sorry. I asked my mechanic if there were any components that came with the turbo that can be replaced, the answer was basically that the actuator and control box are integral and he would have to replace the whole thing, which is ok since it’s warranty and he has to eat the labor (but I’m sure he passes that on to the manufacturer) So if it has to be replaced as a unit so be it. I do not know enough about the newer engine setups in todays trucks so I wouldn’t know either way.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Two thank you’s for getting back!! PapaRed; I tried posting initially in the 4th gen forum but I got a message that said I could not post there, or anywhere for that matter! LOL! Mtnrider; yes, I took it to my mechanic and he said the same thing so he looked for any codes but couldn’t pull any. Not sure what all was replaced except “the turbo unit” that’s all I know, sorry. I asked my mechanic if there were any components that came with the turbo that can be replaced, the answer was basically that the actuator and control box are integral and he would have to replace the whole thing, which is ok since it’s warranty and he has to eat the labor (but I’m sure he passes that on to the manufacturer) So if it has to be replaced as a unit so be it. I do not know enough about the newer engine setups in todays trucks so I wouldn’t know either way.
Sadly, your mechanic is mistaken. The actuator is bolted on the turbo with 4 allen head bolts. Also, the actuator must be calibrated during the installation. I'd find another mechanic.

OP
OP
My4x4tune

My4x4tune

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Cummins
Thank you TMeyrs, I will defiantly look around!