Ram vs GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I just went thru this. Drove a F250 platinum for a few years. So I started looking at gassers.
Drove the for gasser 7.3, denali, ram 6.4, tundra

I ended up with a ram 6.4 2500 Laramie.... Best decision I made. The fit and finish by far blew them out. Love this truck.

Id say RAM 1500 all day

View attachment 200302
Beautiful truck!!!

91lowrydr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’d recommend renting one or both and try them for them weekend. I’m ram all the way myself. Have a 1500 4x4 personally.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
If I had to drive a Ford, be a 5.0 Mustang, or the new Lightning wannabes.

message-editor%2F1554922689947-6.jpg

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that advice. Does the shake occur when towing? I am actually more concerned with the window leak in the GMC and that is very close to keeping me away by itself. I don't go very fast in the truck - I have a Corvette for that.

I have no doubt that the 5.7 will suit my needs just fine. I really don't care about gas mileage either since I won't be putting many miles on the truck. It is some of the little things that, to me, will tip the scale in one direction or the other.

Unfortunately here in PA the dealers are closed until at least April 30 so all I can do is bug you guys with questions.
Honestly I'm not sure about that one as I never towed anything except local like 55 MPH and never on the highway. As long as you wait to make a move until such time as you can drive the vehicle you should be fine. I would highly recommend taking at least a 20-30 mile trip with both vehicles before making a decision.

dodgehemi0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am trying to decide whether to get the Ram 1500 Limited or GMC Sierra Denali. I will use the truck primarily to tow a 4000 lb boat and I will put about 5000 miles a year on it.

There is no question that the Ram has the nicer interior. I also like the Ram Box and cargo system. Tailgates are a wash. Many of the electronic gizmos I could care less about, but there are a few things on the GMC that get the nod. On the GMC the camera rear view mirror would be very helpful to see over my boat. The trailer hitch camera view, trailer app, and trailer TPMS are a plus. The HUD on the GMC looks interesting.

The 6.2L engine is a bit stronger than the 5.7L on the Ram but for my application it won't matter much. It looks like the 5.7 will like lower octane gasoline better. The optional larger gas tank on the Ram is something I would like to have.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I don't favor one over the other in that regard. How likely is it that Ram will add some of the items I mentioned for 2021?

had this same quetion I took both truck home for a weekend and the cabin size of the ram and quiality of the ram won me over. Serioulsy though Im only 5'6 and I felt cramped in the GMC could not strech out at all.

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
6.2L is supposed to run on Super, while Ram has 89 recommended. I don't think the GMC said 87 or 89 was acceptable. But I did that research in 9-2019, so my memory could be a little off.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The 6.2L has 11.5 compression ratio and needs 91 octane gas to run its best.

Ram has more options but to get them you must special order the truck. The dealers order crew cabs with the large V-8 and special wheel packages and other stuff that adds more than $6,000 to the MSRP and they seldom have the 33-gallon fuel tank or the quad cab or the off-road package or the electronic locking rear differential.

The Ram 1500 has a softer ride and if you do not plan to put heavy loads in the bed that is not a problem. For a heavy duty truck the leaf springs are superior to coil springs which is why even Ram puts them on the 3500 trucks.

Ram was planning to provide major refresh for their 2021 trucks after GM/Chevy sold more 1500 pickups in 2019.

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do both DRLs have to work in a GM product? Look around next time you are out at the GM/Chev trucks and their lack of two operable DRLs. Makes you wonder why they haven't fixed that problem after all these years and what other problems exist.

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do both DRLs have to work in a GM product? Look around next time you are out at the GM/Chev trucks and their lack of two operable DRLs. Makes you wonder why they haven't fixed that problem after all these years and what other problems exist.

My family plays a game called “Chevy with a light out”. We see one every day! Hahahaha

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My family plays a game called “Chevy with a light out”. We see one every day! Hahahaha

Haha so do we, mostly the DRLs just like they've had issues for the past 20 years for whatever reason. We usually call "padiddle" but we call the daytime chevys "drdiddles"..