Rambo, Old farts last build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
I have been building unique vehicles for the last 45 years and think this may be the last one.
A few current vehicles in the family are "blacky" the 08 Dakota with a Cummins ISB170 and NV4500 https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-ge...316318-the-truck-dodge-should-have-built.html
Our family daily for the last 4 years is "Bruce" a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with a TDI engine swap https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/2000-tdi-blacky-205238/
The Dakota has been an awesome truck and towed our 5th wheel all over North America for the last 7 years. My knee has started to give me trouble and I need to build a truck with an automatic.
I picked up a nice 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie and will slowly build it up to replace the Dakota.
Not sure where I'm going with this build but always start with wheels and tires.
Wanted 37's but did not want a lift.
Here is the truck as it came off the lot.
upload_2020-5-2_18-40-0.jpeg

Here it is after painting the stock wheels and installing the 37's along with Bushwhacker flares and wheel spacers. Having a custom aluminum front bumper built.
upload_2020-5-2_18-41-1.jpeg
I think the 37's fit the wheel opening perfectly. It did end up with a 1 1/2" body lift.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Following along to see this progress.

Really curious about the other 2 vehicles as Well!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TRAXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love the diesel swaps on your other projects...curious if you're doing the same on this? Though unlike those with the Ram, you could have just bought one with a diesel already. Im sure you have something up your sleeve.

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
I am rebuilding a Cummins ISB170 with some performance/towing mods and an Allison 6 speed that may find its way into the 1500. End up with a lighter and more economical truck than the heavier 2500/3500. Was almost about to buy an Ecodiesel but they have too many problems for a tow vehicle for me. We will see how energetic I get. The Cummins will go 300,000km without an issue. I have read a few Ecodiesels are living long and happy lives but way too many are not and I don't want that worry when on the road.

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
I was cleaning the interior today and notice this panel on the drivers side of the console. What option goes in here?Console panel.jpg

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Since this is going to be our traveling truck I wanted a good drivers seat. After 140,000km the existing seat base was collapsing, especially the side bolster from getting in and out. I ordered a new seat base foam from the seat shop and since it was a rainy day today I decided to install it. They had a pretty good video on U-tube which really made it easy.Rambo seat1.jpg
The little hog rings that hold the leather to the cushion are a bit of a pain if you plan to reuse them like I did.
Rambo seat2.jpg
Here is the new seat cushion on the right. The old one looks not bad in the picture but the foam has all separated and gone soft along the door side.
Rambo seat3.jpg
Here is the finished seat after a good application of saddle cleaner and conditioner.
I used a bit of steam and a heat gun (carefully) to get rid of the really deep wrinkles in the leather.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The seat looks really good! Is 2014 6sp tranny and what's the gear ratio? I wonder how the truck will handle 37" tires.

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Thanks NOV87, at the moment it has the 8 speed and Hemi with 3.92's
I'm going to give it a try but may have to go to 4.56 gears. Once the Cummins and Alison are installed I'll have a better feel for it. That wont happen till the fall or winter. Its a long term project.
I may put it on the road later in the summer with the current setup but had not planned on it.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If anything 4.10 gears on the 37 s with the 8speed. Not sure if anyone makes a 4.33 for the diffs. 4.56 may end up to steep. Maybe not. I don’t know how many people are running lower than 4.10 on the 8 speed trans as 1st gear is super low already.

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
The Alison that going in it is only a 6 speed and with 4.56 gearing and 37's that puts me at 2000 RPM in 6th at 80 MPH which is just right for the Cummins.
Would have to swap in the earlier front diff to get that sort of gearing.
With the 3.92 I'm at 1700 RPM @ 80 MPH which means most of the time at our local highways speeds of 100km/hr or about 60 MPH that puts me back into 5th at 1500 or even 4th at 2200 RPM.

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Started to tackle the rust and broken backing plate. The cab is rust free underneath but the frame is rusty on all the welds so that needs to get cleaned up.

Frame rust.jpg
I applied Rust Mort to all the welds which is one of those rust converter products and I have used it for decades and it works well. Wire wheeled all the welds, then an etching primer followed by a frame paint. Last coat is a wax based rust preventative which is sprayed on everything inside and out of the frame. We use this on the trucks that we manufacture and it has stood the test of time.

Frame painted.jpg

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Started to tackle the rust and broken backing plate. The cab is rust free underneath but the frame is rusty on all the welds so that needs to get cleaned up.

View attachment 210958
I applied Rust Mort to all the welds which is one of those rust converter products and I have used it for decades and it works well. Wire wheeled all the welds, then an etching primer followed by a frame paint. Last coat is a wax based rust preventative which is sprayed on everything inside and out of the frame. We use this on the trucks that we manufacture and it has stood the test of time.

View attachment 210959
You wouldn't happen to have pics of the products you used and could upload? Frame looks outstanding.
Tia

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Thanks, its a lot of work. 5" wire wheel on an angle grinder and 2" wire wheel in a drill to get into tight spots.
The wax based rust preventative is something I use a lot. It does leave a waxy surface and never goes hard.
I have it in a 5 gallon pail for spraying into body cavities and frame rails. I put that **** on everything. ;>)Chassis paint stuff.jpg

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
I have been slowly working on rebuilding parts of the truck the last couple of months. When I bought it the guy said it had a broken backing plate so that was a big job.
Pulled the axles and did the bearings and seals while I was there.
DSCF4882.JPG

This was the broken backing plate so the park brakes did not work.
DSCF4884.JPG

DSCF4885.JPG

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Got the brakes finished and added 1 1/2" wheel spacers. Good billet ones not the eBay specials.View attachment 212845
That is some nice looking hardware, what manufacturer's rotor did you use?

I just gotta say something here, but not sure what. I went through and read this and your linked build threads. Dude, Im speechless, you are down right f amazing. I don't wanna slob to heavily in public but this is more than worthy, you're work is incredible, I've never seen anything like it, innovative, high tech, unheard of mods with comments like ".. a few tricks for the computer to get all original sensors and functions working". Holy gawd almighty, amazing. The amount of details and perfection for to recreate these vehicles and have them handle and perform leagues above the original vehicle is so impressive,

Your work is one of the most impressive skill sets with incredible accomplishments that I've witnessed. I would give it hands down first place for the most impressive but I gotta give it a tie with NASA. Landing **** on Mars and then driving around collecting data and taking pictures was pretty damn impressive, so I give you tie for first place with NASA.

You tied a team of some 500 engineers, physicists, and support crews for first place in most impressive and incredible **** I've ever seen.

Second place can't even see you.

I'm speechless, so I will stop talking now. I've Never felt so incapable and insignificant. No mere mortal are you, f wizard, God of all wizards and mortals.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Thanks WY Ram. I have spent the last 60 years honing my wizardry. ;>)
I actually was approached by NASA a few years ago to submit a design for an electric drive system to power an escape vehicle for the end of the slide wire at the complex 39 launch towers. They chose to go with a 40 ton diesel vehicle instead.
The rotors are from MAX brakes. They were 1/2 the cost of other aftermarket rotors and everything I could find about them online said they were good quality and made here in Canada.
I also put them on my Diesel swapped Jeep JKU.

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Started on the onboard air this week. Mounted a 2.5 gallon tank under the passenger side. one run of 1/4" air brake line runs to the front through the inside of the frame to a small 1 gallon tank that runs the air horn. A 3/8" line runs to the back bumper for the air chuck. I have had that on my Dakota for years and find it very handy for everything from helping people with flat tires to blowing out my underground sprinkler system before winter.

DSCF4971.JPG

Made a plate to mount the compressor on and it bolts to existing threaded holes in a cross member.

DSCF4963.JPG

DSCF4965.JPG

Its not as close to the driveshaft as it looks.
Ran the intake hose out to the drivers side box mount which is easy to get to once the box is on.

DSCF4968.JPG

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
EvGuy1, you're only 60 brother...just getting broken in. With your talents I'm sure you've got at least one more rig build in your future after this one.

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Thanks Joeygster, nice truck man.
I suppose it depends on how long it takes to build this one.
Still a long way to go.