RAMBOX fix - thank you YouTube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hatchet Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Heavy Duty
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I recently acquired a 2015 2500 Outdoorsman w/RamBox and sure enough, neither Ram Box door locked with the remote. Came across this little gem on YouTube and spent less than $3 for both parts at my local Dodge dealership. 10 minutes of disassembly, replacement, reassembly and both work fine now. Surprised that the dealership was the cheapest place for these, but they were, by far. :party52:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I recently acquired a 2015 2500 Outdoorsman w/RamBox and sure enough, neither Ram Box door locked with the remote. Came across this little gem on YouTube and spent less than $3 for both parts at my local Dodge dealership. 10 minutes of disassembly, replacement, reassembly and both work fine now. Surprised that the dealership was the cheapest place for these, but they were, by far. :party52:
Nice. Gotta love a simple fix. That does happen where the dealer is cheapest, sometimes. My last DD was a 2000 Grand Cherokee. I had to replace the 10+ foot hydraulic steel brake line that runs to the back wheels. A friend had his custom made & cost quite a bit due to a load of bends needed. I figured I'd call the stealership and just see how much. I called and the parts guy came back to the phone, it was $15 and change plus tax. I drove there expecting him to hand me a little rubber brake line. He walked out with the 10' steel line, bends fittings & all. I was shocked. Perfect fit.
:cheers:

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Had that happen to my 14. Ended up getting a bunch of those clips from the dealer for free so I kept them just in case after the first fix.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Same deal on my recently acquired 18 2500. I didn't watch a video, but found the same issue when I pulled the cover off the linkage area. Could have had the dealer do the repair under warranty, but for the small cost of the parts, I figured it was just easier to do it myself.

We have these same types of linkages in our RV, and they have metal clips instead of plastic. So I ordered some of those and will switch to them the next time this happens.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same deal on my recently acquired 18 2500. I didn't watch a video, but found the same issue when I pulled the cover off the linkage area. Could have had the dealer do the repair under warranty, but for the small cost of the parts, I figured it was just easier to do it myself.

We have these same types of linkages in our RV, and they have metal clips instead of plastic. So I ordered some of those and will switch to them the next time this happens.

Would you have to have a link to the metal ones? I've had this happen too and since I sometimes store firearms in the rambox, I would like to have the peace of mind.

OP
OP
Hatchet Man

Hatchet Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Heavy Duty
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Would you have to have a link to the metal ones? I've had this happen too and since I sometimes store firearms in the rambox, I would like to have the peace of mind.

Ditto. I wish there was a lurk or popcorn emoji in this place.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotta say it's why for the 2019 5th Gens the tailgate and Rambox locks don't get actuated when you press the key. They only move when you push the button on the rambox or tailgate.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Gotta say it's why for the 2019 5th Gens the tailgate and Rambox locks don't get actuated when you press the key. They only move when you push the button on the rambox or tailgate.
That sucks. So you have to check/lock 4 things separately before walking away from the truck?

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sucks. So you have to check/lock 4 things separately before walking away from the truck?

No.

Technically they are locked all the time. When you press unlock on the truck the system allows the Rambox/tailgate to be opened when you press the button at each.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No.

Technically they are locked all the time. When you press unlock on the truck the system allows the Rambox/tailgate to be opened when you press the button at each.
So if the truck is unlocked and you walk up to it w/o your fob on your person, you would not be able to open the Ram boxes or tailgate? Or are you saying that the open button on the door works differently than the one on the fob?