Rambox Light Switch Sticky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Noticed the Rambox light switches were occasionally sticky, so opening the Ramboxes the light would either not come on or take quite a while for the little rod to pop up. Tried WD40, lubricant spray, talking dirty, and even a cobra flute, but not only is it not better, but by pressing it with my finger up and down a bunch, one of them I've managed to get stuck in the fully recessed position so I can't really get pliers on it or anything to make it stick back up.

Before dismantling figured I'd just ask if anyone messed with these before. Tried search but didn't see anything.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Probably be better off replacing them if they're getting stuck.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Those kind of switches are much better off if you use a Silicone based Lube on them. WD40 attracts dirt and gets gummy as it ages, both of which make those switches work worse. Try using the small red straw on a can of silicone lube to flush them out. A sharp pick or small pocket knife usually works good to get the switch lined up with the opening so it will pop out again.

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those kind of switches are much better off if you use a Silicone based Lube on them. WD40 attracts dirt and gets gummy as it ages, both of which make those switches work worse. Try using the small red straw on a can of silicone lube to flush them out. A sharp pick or small pocket knife usually works good to get the switch lined up with the opening so it will pop out again.
Thanks, so I didn't read this until just now, but I already drowned it in penetrating oil I found in the garage, waited several hours, and now they are popping up and down without any resistance even when I push them all the way down (no longer getting stuck). I'll follow up with a silicone lube for long-term functionality. Luckily, it seems that the oil in that mechanism doesn't get on whatever contacts there are and doesn't mess anything up, at least short term. Not sure what exactly got inside it to make it gummy.

I had also briefly looked up the part # for replacement, and it seems you get it as part of a wiring harness, couldn't find separate part, and that was going to be like $200. So luckily just oiling worked. The bulbs I also replaced a while back with these LEDs that you can use in a few spots on the car, and they are nice and bright and match the pure white of all the other lights I already replaced with LED as well. Just looks more modern that way to me over the warm light. Even replaced the underhood incandescent with LED, I believe with this one (was a while back). Only thing I couldn't figure out I think were the rear brake lights, so I left those incandescent.

So everything nice and bright and back to normal! Thx!

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BTW, kind of related... I also noticed one of my Rambox drain plugs is a bit jacked. Since they are 12 years old, figured I'd just pick up four new ones.

I found one on Amazon, but $7 a piece?!?! Same price on Ebay. Anyone found cheaper? I mean I only need one, but I'd love to replace them all just for the sake of being fresh rubber.