RamBox stuck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fatphatboy88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had my truck for a little over a week now. I've only opened the drivers side and not the passenger side RamBox. I went to move my jumper cables, tools and other random junk from my old vehicle to the RamBox last night and my passenger side won't open. It unlocks when I press the button on my key fob, it acts like it wants to open when I press the button on the box itself, but then the button gets stuck half way in and the box wont open. I tried put the key in and locking/unlocking it manually but it will not open. All that will happen is I can get the button to come back out but it will still get stuck half way in if I press it again. Needless to say, its going back to the dealership to get it fixed but is this what I have to look forward to later on down the road once my warranty runs out?

smarsmar101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a random act to me as I haven't heard of this problem before.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The buttons on my rambox were a little sticky when I picked it up, but I've been in both sides several times and they loosened up pretty good now. No real issues EXCEPT when I left a half-loose cap on a tire shine bottle. I now have a very very shiny rambox interior.

OP
OP
F

fatphatboy88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the dealership is going to replace the entire latch assembly. They couldn't get it open either. Just get to wait for the parts to come in now.

kbucci

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500
Engine
V6
Confirm they replaced the assembly with no issues.. Mine is doing exactly the same thing and I'm brininging it into the dealership tomorrow to get them to look at it.

OP
OP
F

fatphatboy88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They replaced the whole latch assembly but it still doesn't unlock with the keyless entry. I have to put the key in and jiggle it a little bit so it's still out of adjustment. When I take it in for its first service they will be fixing it then.

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine function fine.
They just don't shut flush with the rest of the bed rail.
I've adjusted on them once, need to seek on them again.
They seem to warp and move around with this blistering Texas heat we are having.
I'm still very happy with my decision to get Ramboxes though.

92GreenYJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had the same issue with my passenger side box. Did exactly the same as you describe. Dealership managed to get it working however they ordered parts to replace the latch assembly anyway.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wish I could lock/unlock mine with my keyfob. But nope. Dodge didn't think of that till 2013.

MPG LOL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
never had an issue on mine since i bought it back in march. it all sits flush and what not. i just hate that the damn box lids were stamped out so miserably...that don't now how to bend metal? every ram I've seen with the boxes have creases in 3 or 4 spots on the lids on both sides.

plainsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Seems like some graphite powder might be a good first step on delivery. Will probably do that on mine just to rule out a dry lock issue given the issues here.

Zigi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
I have had my truck for a little over a week now. I've only opened the drivers side and not the passenger side RamBox. I went to move my jumper cables, tools and other random junk from my old vehicle to the RamBox last night and my passenger side won't open. It unlocks when I press the button on my key fob, it acts like it wants to open when I press the button on the box itself, but then the button gets stuck half way in and the box wont open. I tried put the key in and locking/unlocking it manually but it will not open. All that will happen is I can get the button to come back out but it will still get stuck half way in if I press it again. Needless to say, its going back to the dealership to get it fixed but is this what I have to look forward to later on down the road once my warranty runs out?
I've had and still have the rambox problem. My truck is a 2018 and out of warranty last year. Had problems since new. The sides were delaminating. The glued them on, they fell off again. They replaced both ramboxes but the panels still delaminated. The glued them back on but the only things holding them on now is the chrome key button. The boxes wouldn't lock or unlock. They told me they were overfilled. I had a loose tarp in there so after taking that out, it still didn't lock or unlock. I complained to the manager who told me he would call me the next day. That was a year and a half ago. I called him everyday for a month and then less and less. Now I complained to Ram Canada about the panels falling off and they told me that the dealer said they are falling off because I overload the ramboxes. Now I am out of warranty after putting up with this lousy service and need to sue the dealer.
I still can't get into my passenger side ram box, the clip is broken again. I've pushed down on the box with the key in. I've sprayed WD40 into it. I've banged on it. Sucks because I was trying it with my key and left the key fob in the box. Now to add insult to injury, I can't get my key fob out of the rambox.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've had and still have the rambox problem. My truck is a 2018 and out of warranty last year. Had problems since new. The sides were delaminating. The glued them on, they fell off again. They replaced both ramboxes but the panels still delaminated. The glued them back on but the only things holding them on now is the chrome key button. The boxes wouldn't lock or unlock. They told me they were overfilled. I had a loose tarp in there so after taking that out, it still didn't lock or unlock. I complained to the manager who told me he would call me the next day. That was a year and a half ago. I called him everyday for a month and then less and less. Now I complained to Ram Canada about the panels falling off and they told me that the dealer said they are falling off because I overload the ramboxes. Now I am out of warranty after putting up with this lousy service and need to sue the dealer.
I still can't get into my passenger side ram box, the clip is broken again. I've pushed down on the box with the key in. I've sprayed WD40 into it. I've banged on it. Sucks because I was trying it with my key and left the key fob in the box. Now to add insult to injury, I can't get my key fob out of the rambox.
Question why would you leave the fob in the box if you know you're having issues opening it.Don't you have pockets on your pants to put the fob in while you're using the key. Bet you won't do that again,lol. Kind of curious on how you make out suing the dealer,keep us updated on how that pans out.

OP
OP
F

fatphatboy88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forgot to give an update on this years ago. My truck was in and out of the dealership shop 7 times in the first 6 months with them trying to get the ram boxes to work. They replaced a different part of the rambox each time trying to fix the issue until it had all new parts. That still didn't fix it. I was so fed up with it I kept trying to get the dealer to swap the bed with one from the lot without ramboxes and give me a partial refund for the option price. They refused every time. Finally the 7th time they had my truck for a week and replaced every single component for the rambox again to get it to work. New insert, lid, lock, latch etc. They went through two sets of new parts to get it to work right.

When the truck was about 5 years old both of the rambox lids started to flap around. Discovered the painted lid portion is only held on by double sided foam tape from the factory. Just peeled them off, cleaned well and stuck them back on with 3M VHB tape. Been holding fine since.

After that the passenger side inner lid frame actually broke. The threaded boss in the plastic where the spring gets held on with just cracked and pulled out. It still opens and closes, but it doesnt sit flush anymore. It sits proud and wiggles around. Still locks though.

I wish I would have never gotten the ramboxes but my truck was the only one in a 250 mile radius that had all the options I wanted at the time. I would have been better off with a regular bed and low profile tool box. I can't even fit my four wheeler in the bed of my truck because of the narrow width. Finding tonneau covers or any other bed accessory for a 6'4" rambox bed narrows the selection a lot and increases the price. The ramboxes might be good for some people but they are a big inconvenience to me.

So if anybody in Eastern NC area has a black regular 6'4" bed and wants to swap for one with ramboxes. Let me know. I even have a BakFlip F1 tonneau cover to go with it. We can meet up and swap beds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956