RamBox worth getting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBJRBJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine
I love having the RamBox on my RAM. As noted by others, it’s a great storage system to keep smaller tools etc from sliding around in the truck bed. Yet, it depends on how you plan to use your truck if sacrificing some bed space is a concern. Otherwise, it’s a great additional storage feature that I use regularly.

craiggemt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 & 2020
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.4 Hemi
My work 1500 has the Ramboxes. Just got a new 2500 with them and even better. Foot longer with the 6.4' beds. As long as I have 4' wide in the bed, I'm good. Definitely a must have for me.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
My 17 had them and I learned to absolutely love them.
I wish my 2500 had them.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Definitely worth getting them. I didn't used to think so until I actually owned a truck with them. Lots of uses, and no one has even mentioned the bed divider/extender if you also get the Bed Utility Group. Although recent shortages have affected available options if you plan to order a 2022 model, and I think the Rambox option is one of those affected. If you can find a 2021 with the options you want you should get it while you can.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ive never looked closely at how the ram box bed is designed except for the inside. Do they actually make a new bed where the floors in fron of and behind the wheel well is actually higher? Or do they raise it just inside the side boxes with the plastic shell, which would leave less space to store but being able to retrieve anything in reach.

houligan91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi ETorque
I just ordered my 2022, I chose the Ramboxes (which are not on restriction as of last week when my order was accepted). I chose to get them because I will not be using the bed of my truck in a way that ill need the extra space. I will not be using my truck for work etc, mostly for around the house stuff and commuting/a comfortable vehicle for the misses and I to take longer trips in. The ramboxes on friends vehicles are great for beach trips etc hence why i chose them.

OP- it comes down to what you are going to use the truck for primarily.

BanksCC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
One of the best options I have on my Longhorn. All the stuff I used to keep under the back seat are now in the RAM box. Plus I now have a tool bag, chains, towels, etc. easily accessed from the side. Locks/Unlocks with the cab doors. 64 and I don't have to climb in and out of the bed to access.
I can live with the lost bed space. because I have a trailer to haul quads, ranger, motorcycle or when I need the other items.

Needs very, to each their own.

For me its awesome.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
ive never looked closely at how the ram box bed is designed except for the inside. Do they actually make a new bed where the floors in fron of and behind the wheel well is actually higher? Or do they raise it just inside the side boxes with the plastic shell, which would leave less space to store but being able to retrieve anything in reach.
The bed sides are solid front to back. Here's a pic of mine...
Bed divider.jpg

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
""Worth getting" is subjective. Do you need bed space or storage space. I like the idea of the ram boxes but simply cannot live with the reduced bed space they offer for how I use my truck.

Guys with ram boxes are going to say they can't live without them. Guys without are going to say they can't live with it.

Look at what you think you will use YOUR truck for and make a decision on that

^ this, exactly. I love mine, keep all my towing and recovery stuff in there as well as tool bags and impact gun/sockets. All my previous Rams had a work box in the bed which was fine, but now I don't have to climb in and I have the whole bed available when I need it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My issue is I always end up with random and odd stuff like this in my bed, so as much as I like ramboxes it would limit me too much. I do live on a small farm so the truck gets used as a truck a lot more then most people I am sure. Wish I could have my cake and eat it to though...

Inked0811211851_HDR_LI.jpg

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Let me bring in my narrative - I had a 2002 Avalanche and LOVED them back then - I cannot believe GM tossed it aside and how well FCA made it work,

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
And to throw in the EXTRA narrative... I have the bed divider and rail tiedowns. I do not use my truck as a garbage truck but as a utility truck - to each their own.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am too short for Ram Boxes, i would need to haul around a stool, i am 5' 8".
I can't reach into my current bed from the side
I don't need to wonder when the lid is going to warp
Or the handle lock is going to lock me out or not open.

This is perfect for me, it carries all the tools, extra fuel & traffic cones that i need
Both boxes can be slid out, they have to be emptied out for one person to remove them.
I never have to climb into the bed, everything is reachable
Both boxes were custom built & made out of aluminum

vguNSW.jpg

rtktdx.jpg

nMmgwC.jpg

OACmaq.jpg

W1p1Cr.jpg

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And to throw in the EXTRA narrative... I have the bed divider and rail tiedowns. I do not use my truck as a garbage truck but as a utility truck - to each their own.

I assume you are referring to the picture I posted. It was just one Small example that I happened to have a photo of (as I was cleaning out some property last week) for those that say you can haul just as much stuff with a rambox.
My truck is used as a utility truck, a garbage truck, a feed hauling truck, a dirt bike hauling truck(I have tie downs to), and even a grocery getter! It's used as a truck (imagine that?).

Like you said, to each his own.....

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
I assume you are referring to the picture I posted. It was just one Small example that I happened to have a photo of (as I was cleaning out some property last week) for those that say you can haul just as much stuff with a rambox.
My truck is used as a utility truck, a garbage truck, a feed hauling truck, a dirt bike hauling truck(I have tie downs to), and even a grocery getter! It's used as a truck (imagine that?).

Like you said, to each his own.....
I meant no offense. Appologies. And was not directed at anyone, it was just a general statement. I would also include things like rock and sand and mulch etc...i have that stuff delivered. I haul all kinds of stuff also.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I love my Ram boxes on my 1500. Does not impede on bed space. Wouldn’t get another truck without.

kfcanyonranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't care for the look but absolutely love the function. I can not imagine not having the Ram boxes.

Reaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ordered them specifically for my 2013 Ram because it was my towing/camping rig. LOVED having them. I have a utility trailer for hauling stone, mulch, etc so the truck was mostly for towing and hauling firewood. One side of the bed held a couple camping chairs, an axe, jumper cables, a tarp, a tow strap, and a cannister of bungee cords pretty much at all times. 8 years with zero issues...watertight, secure storage accessible from outside the truck. The bed divider/extender was REAL handy too.
I picked up a 2019 because the '13 was getting a little long in the tooth mileage-wise, and unfortunately there were none to be found anywhere close with the Rambox. Since I don't camp anymore I don't necessarily need the extra storage anymore, but I certainly do miss having them. You can fit so much in them without stuffing that I didn't realize how much I kept in them until I unloaded them for the trade in. My next one *WILL* have them for sure.