RamBox worth getting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my 1500 used and it has the rambox. II'M short, so having the box on the side instead of the back of the bed is very nice.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the Ram Box on my 2017 but I only kept a couple of things in it such as booster cables, windshield washer ... Never really used it at all ... Bought a new 2020 without the box and just use a milk crate to put the washer and cables in ... I did go with the Multifunction tailgate which is a fantastic option .. I don't miss the Ram Box at all ...

Padgit8r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I really love my Rambox and have had 2 trucks with it. I had a truck in between without and I missed it. That said, it limits your choices wrt aftermarket bed covers and racks. I will probably install a decked storage system (or build my own) in my next truck without the rambox. Still like the rambox though. I’m not too confident about the security of the Rambox and would not store certain items overnight in them while traveling. If you haven’t had them before, check them out at the dealership first.

Mckisback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love my Ram boxes. Pull travel trailer and stash much need tools, supplies and one offs.

BLKBWTY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to get a new Ram 1500. Trying to decide if it is worth getting the rambox.

I do hunt in the fall so I thought it may come in handy. Just not sure it's worth getting. My old 2007 Ram is showing it's age. Time for a new one.
Best option I have seen! Can still put a 4x8 plywood in the back. It uses the space over the wheel wells that would be otherwise wasted. Very easy access!

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
I wish my 2019 "used" 1500 had come with one. Every time I see someone with one I dream what it would be like.

blackram446

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
LOL. Wow, educate yourself before you start spewing nonsense. Hate to break your heart sugar but plywood fits flat in a regular bed all day long. And Beg to differ all you want, the math speaks for itself. Maybe a perfect sheet of plywood fits your truck but what about a load of mulch? Random stuff that isn't in perfectly squared away boxes, ATV's, motorcycles, Junk, the list goes on and on and on.
All that stuff will still fit in a RamBox equipped truck save maybe the quad. You don't like them, fine. But the petty BS is childish. Have owned dozens of trucks and like the accessibility of the RamBox

Denny B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, its better to get the swinging wheel well boxes. I love those. And with the ram boxes you cant use a tanneau cover believe, at least the covers i am aware of.

A tonneau works just fine with the Rambox. I have a folding one but there are several kinds available that will work.

Also a 4X8 sheet of plywood slides right in with no problem. I "think" the bed is 52" wide with the Ramboxes.

Also, I have been through the car wash many times and the boxes have never leaked.

1632077835126.jpeg
1632077919958.jpeg

1632077977318.jpeg

Last edited:

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When we bought our 2500 we were shopping for another Laramie, I never even considered ramboxes. Went to the dealer and the wife saw a white Limited w/ ramboxes and that was that. Super glad we did as they are the best thing since sliced bread for us. We tow a trailer and travel a lot, having the boxes for small stuff is invaluable. She's 5'2" and has no issues using the boxes, the bed is another issue and had to add an AMP bed step to get in there. Only drawback that I have with Ramboxes is reaching a tonneau to open it. Solved that with a Retrax Powertrax Pro tonneau so I don't have to.

20210617_105912_resized.jpg

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"
I beg to differ. We can put a full 4x8 sheet of plywood flat down. Unlike y'all that hit rear wheel wells.

LOL. Wow, educate yourself before you start spewing nonsense. Hate to break your heart sugar but plywood fits flat in a regular bed all day long. And Beg to differ all you want, the math speaks for itself. Maybe a perfect sheet of plywood fits your truck but what about a load of mulch? Random stuff that isn't in perfectly squared away boxes, ATV's, motorcycles, Junk, the list goes on and on and on.

Differ with their differing all YOU want mtnrider, but everyone is entitled to voice their opinion without someone getting snarky for no reason. 512RAM has given what they do with their truck as an example. Also, I am failing to see how if a truck could fit a load of mulch or not has anything to do with that. There are trucks out there without a rambox that can't do that now.

@OP It all depends on what you are doing with the truck, as mtnrider said, find out what works for what you are going to do. If you need to use the entire bed on your truck now for stuff, then it is likely you will find situations where having a permanent rambox setup would **** you off, where as, if you are reaching into am installed tool box all the time, and struggling with it more often than not, getting one might be a good idea.

Last edited:

ShortyV8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are my thoughts on bulk material hauling with and without Ram Boxes. There is no debate the bed volume is reduced with the Ram Boxes. However, when hauling dense materials like topsoil, crushed stone, ect the capacity of the truck is limited by the material weight, not the volume of the bed. Mulch is a different story. There is no question more mulch can be hauled without Ram Boxes. That said, when I haul bulk material I always use a Load Handler crank out tarp to unload the material quickly. The Load Handler tarp fits between the wheel wells only. In a standard bed, material like crushed stone can "lock" in the space in front of the wheel wells and prevent unloading with the Load Handler. With a straight side bed the tarp covers the entire bed surface and ALL the material is unloaded without spillage into the areas in front and behind the wheel wells. Clearing these areas in a standard bed takes extra time. I find a straight side bed with a Load Handler the most efficient way to load and unload bulk material. I personally prefer straight side beds (what used to be called Step Side beds) for most efficient bulk material moving, in spite of the reduced bed volume. Over the course of several loads of mulch, the time saved not having to clear out the extra spaces of the standard bed or dealing with a load locked tarp allows for another trip for another load.

While there certainly are tradeoffs with the bed configurations, I don't necessarily agree a standard bed is better than a Ram Box bed for moving bulk materials, including mulch.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not to mention, way easier to wash out the bed of our Rambox bed than our prvious 2014 with regular bed where dirt and other debris kept getting trapped around the wheel wells. The non Rambox guys just have “Rambox envy”. :gr_grin:
Yea, not so much. Don't have it on my Warlock, but considering putting a cap on it at some point, so that would end up eating bed space that I would then not be able to use once the cap was in place.

Once you get a truck with the Ram Box, you will never even think of getting one without.
90% of folks who don’t like them have never had them.

Never had one, and depends more on what you are thinking of doing with the truck. See section above about getting a cap. As far as if I like it or not, I am currently noncommittal either way.

Depends on how you plan on using your Ram. If you keep the bed open it's a great option. If you plan on an in-bed camper, not so much.
^ is the proper answer for that. As I said above, also, if you are considering getting a regular cap like from LEER or ARE, etc., then having a rambox while otherwise would be a good idea, then having a cap on would restrict access to the ramboxes.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For me it was worth it.
I missed having a trunk, when I bought my first truck.
When I bought the RAM, the RAMBOX was a must and I do not regret it.

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a used 2500 that had ram boxes.
At first I was concerned about losing some space in the box, I always have a storage box tied down in the front of my boxes before and put my tools, under the back seat.
Now that I have lived with the Ram Box for over a year, IMO this is the best set up I have ever had.
No more tools in the cab under the rear seat, all the tools and gear I use to carry in my storage box is now in the ram boxes and frees up the front of the box.
No more climbing into the box to retrieve gear, it all fits in the ram boxes, plus more tools.
The adjustable devider is incredible for securing things near the tailgate so they don’t slide foreword. It is also a box extender to the end of the tailgate when down.
I have hauled large loads to the dump in the box and did not find I was short of space.
The only thing I regret is I got a Bac revolver 4 roll up tunnel cover. (It leaks water)
I hand Bac flips on my two previous trucks and they work much better to keep water out.

jarhead vf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've always been a F150 person. 1st Ram I've owned 2017 Ecodiesel. Use as a work truck for HVAC. Have the Ram boxes and was not going to get the truck because of them worried about lost bed space, but man am I glad I did. Its actually easier to load and remove equipment without hitting wheel wells. Everything that collected around the wheel wells is now gone. Bed boxes now store service parts and tools. I have to say. As of now I will never return to Ford.

drewsg56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
2018 2500 ram with rambox. Love it couldnt live without it. Tools on one side, left overs or ice chest or groceries or a change of clothes after hunting on the other. Keeps the inside of my truck clean and smelling good.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had to completely start over and purchase a 2500 without boxes. Loved them on my 1500 but huge impediment when you are in the market for a truck camper.

NicksGarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I never thought the Ramboxes were a necessary option for me until I got my used 2009 1500 with them. This is the first truck I've had where I don't have stuff in the bed all the time. I can see where they wouldn't be for everyone as it does actually cause issues loading some things in the bed. But for me the positives of having them way outweigh the negatives. Fortunately I have other vehicles and trailers if I need to carry things that the truck won't handle in the bed. My next Ram will be a newer 2500 with the longer bed and Ramboxes.

TOMMYGUNNZZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Absolutely worth it! But it is completely based on how you will utilize your truck. I camp(travel trailer) fish, hike and am a LL baseball coach and travel a lot. I’ve had golf carts, atvs and other items fit easily between the boxes. Plenty of bed covers out there and even bed and chase racks. You will NOT find a bed cap. I even have a full size floor jack in there for quick flat tire changes. Really nice not having items bouncing around the bed. Just think it through, your good either way.