Ramrunner questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terrance

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 &1977
Engine
6.7 ******'s & 318 W100
Hello everybody, im new to this site and have a few questions on building a ramrunnet.
To start off I own a 2wd 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L hemi 6" febtech lift with a 2" body lift 20" wheels on 37" tires. My main question is would I be better off with the body lift or without to build a prerunner? I only have a body lift to fit the 37" tires I want to rebuild the gears to a 5.13 for the tires, if I took the body lift off I could only fit 35" tires so it wouldn't be worth rebuilding the gears. I want to get mid travel so I dont have to cage my engine, any good places to look for upper control arms?
Pictures of my truck 138505569837_edit_1387926654505.jpgIMG_20131129_142240.jpg20131123_154305.jpg.

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
If you are looking to build a true prerunner, ditch the body lift. Prerunners are typically low center of gravity (not lifted too high) and use aftermarket bumpers and wider fenders to fit larger tires as opposed to a large lift. Most prerunners have about 3" of lift and run 35s I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Terrance

Terrance

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 &1977
Engine
6.7 ******'s & 318 W100
Thank You!
I was thinking the body lift would be good for more travel wasn't sure if I would be better without it. Fiberglass fenders, wheels, and mid travel will come in time.

Obxram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Google
Engine
5.7 hemi
prerunner

you dont have to cage your engine to have a prerunner.

caging your engine is needed if you are taking woops at 55mph regularly and trying to go sky high with your truck.

i did a search for you and have come up empty. i am going the same way with my ram.

what i can tell you is there are tons of companys out there specializing in prerunner type of offroading camburg, icon, total chaos, poly performance, pure performance just to name a few.

it all about what you want to do with your rig and how much you really want to spend.

keep in mind that most companies out there that make an off the shelf kit for your truck take the easy way out by making a spindle lift. all this does is moves the unit bearing down ie moving the wheels down giving the lift. this dosent change the amount of travel your truck has. some kits like cts's has and option for a small spindle change with a longer spring. this will allow a little more travel. cts also provide a new upper control arm. looks like a pretty complete system. (poly performance sells it)

the rear is also important as you dont really want blocks out back. blocks add stress to the leafs and can cause axle twist under acceleration. if ever possible spend the money on new leafs in the rear or with kits that add mini packs.

as for regearing i would prob go to a 4.56 or 4.10 at the least and make it worth it by adding a locker or limited slip diff

lots to think about and i am sure to dream about

Peattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kore makes a kit for the 06-13 2wd rams, I tried searching for the difference between 04 and 06 but couldnt find anything, seemed to be cosmetics. So I would try and figure out if that kit will work because Kore is a proven company.

Body lift is not a good idea for off roading, I would take that off. 35's are what most people run. Get a nice set of 17" beadlocks and you'll be good.

From being on a Ford Raptor forum it seems that a majority of people that are serious about off roading get a thicker spring pack. I believe they add 3-4 springs. Bump stops are also needed so you dont bottom out your suspension. doing a bed cage will allow you to run a larger shock providing more travel. But then your bed isnt very useful.

Fiberwerx makes flares and bed sides for a reasonable price. Fiberglass as you know will never be perfect, you have to work with it for it to fit properly as well as paint it.

Shaunm59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 of make her wet liters
The difference between the 03-06 is the suspension mounting points on the frame. I build pre-runners and race trucks and design long travel systems. A Lt kit can be designed no problem for the trucks but a heavier duty spindle needs to be built as well along with building new shock mounts and remounting upper shock mounts.

Obxram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Google
Engine
5.7 hemi
who is your bolt on kit by?

Shaunm59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pieced it together. It consists of the Kore billet aluminum adjustable uppers and 8" radflo remote resi coilovers with billet adapters to mount in the factory location.

Peattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The difference between the 03-06 is the suspension mounting points on the frame. I build pre-runners and race trucks and design long travel systems. A Lt kit can be designed no problem for the trucks but a heavier duty spindle needs to be built as well along with building new shock mounts and remounting upper shock mounts. I have a mid travel system that's all bolt on and for sale for 08-11 1500's

Ah okay. Everywhere that I looked basically said it was a cosmetic change. Thanks for clarifying that.

Shaunm59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, the upper a arm mounting points are more narrow on the gen 3s

timpaine1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 l v6 diesel
I have a 2006 ram 1500 single cab with a 4.7. And I’m swapping that engine for a 5.7 out of a 2004 ram 1500 quad cab. Do I need the entire engine harness,ecm,and fuse box outof the 04 for it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963