Ran hot real fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Left the job today towing my cargo trailer. Heard an alarm. Water at 264 oil at 245.
Pulled over and everything cooled down instantly and appeared ok. Took off again and then it shoots back up. Pull over and shut it down. Oil never got over 250. Hoping I didn’t blow a head gasket. Looked like coolant dripping from front of engine so I’m thinking water pump. Towed it to the shop.
160,000 miles a lot of it towing. Had it at the shop two weeks ago for rear main seal, oil pan gasket and something else that was leaking. That was $1500.00. Hope this isn’t another $1000. Losing confidence in my otherwise dependable truck.
Transmission 90,000 miles
Front hub 140,000 miles
Rear main 156,000 miles
Ran hot 160,000 miles.

I’ve religiously maintained this truck. Repairs have costed me over $6000 not including tires and brakes etc.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When was the last time you checked the level of your coolant ? If the pumps been leaking ,and you’ve lost coolant it will overheat, which will also raise your oil temp

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I mean honestly you got 90k before you started having any issues, there was once a time when that would have been considered amazing.

Components wear out over time, especially seals on rotating shafts. It's very possible it was a water pump, and depending on how it failed (either a long term leak or a sudden seal failure, I've seen both) you may have never seen any warning signs. Just be glad it's still an external water pump instead of the internal ones I've seen on some 4-bangers.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Most here will disagree with me on this...But....I am of the belief that anything over 100K is borrowed time. Gas engines owe you 100K. Most here disagree with that, but I will never change my mind on it. If I were you, I'd consider myself lucky...Then I'd trade it in on a new one.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Nah, it's all about how they're maintained. A gas engine, properly maintained, can and should get well past 100k today. I know they're from different manufacturers but there are a LOT of gas engines out there with over 200k that haven't had major issues (and I honestly don't consider a water pump a major issue).

A few examples:
Buick City once had a contest to see who had the most miles on a 3800, series 1 or 2. The winner had over 750k with no rebuild. The AVERAGE for entries (of which there were something like 200, just from plant employees) was around 300k.

My parents had a 1990 GMC Suburban V1500, 350 TBI. When they sold it it had 350k on it, the body was shot, it was on its 3rd transmission because the 700R4 had a weak reverse sun gear that would come apart at about 90-100k until it was rebuilt with race components, but the engine still ran as strong as ever. We replaced the water pump once, plugs and wires a couple times, and oil changes with Quaker State 10W30 dino oil (not synthetic or synthetic blend) every 3k. It was mom's daily driver, pulled our 35' travel trailer for a while (backup to his 6.2 diesel that wouldn't stay together), and was what all four of us kids learned to drive on so they were HARD miles.

I could go on and on but I won't. But it really does come down to maintenance and not abusing your vehicles. You can get a LONG time out of them if you just take care of them.