Ranch Hand on a Big Horn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
A friend has those on all three of his Ram diesels. Each weighs about 500 lbs. and he cant figure out why he is having so much trouble keeping the front ends from premature wear. Between the weight of the diesel and the guard it is just too much.

This is just not true at all.

Tons of Rams out there with plows that weigh far more than an aftermarket bumper and are not having premature front end wear.

I have a Buckstop on mine, have for 4 years. My plow frame had to be extended so the plow would fit so the weight of the plow on the axle is even more. Levers and fulcrums and all that stuff. My plow weighs over 1,000#. Plus the bumper. Plus the truckside mount and extensions.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
This is just not true at all.

Tons of Rams out there with plows that weigh far more than an aftermarket bumper and are not having premature front end wear.

I have a Buckstop on mine, have for 4 years. My plow frame had to be extended so the plow would fit so the weight of the plow on the axle is even more. Levers and fulcrums and all that stuff. My plow weighs over 1,000#. Plus the bumper. Plus the truckside mount and extensions.

So it doesn't make since that the more weight you hang off the front end doesn't cause more wear on front end parts? And add to that the added weight of a diesel over a gas engine? I've seen many pickups with plows that had front end problems after plowing roads and parking lots. I guess the occasional driveway use might not have that big an impact.

OP
OP
Steve Cloud

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I gotta say, this Ranch Hand factory tour video makes their gear look pretty amazing...

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
So it doesn't make since that the more weight you hang off the front end doesn't cause more wear on front end parts? And add to that the added weight of a diesel over a gas engine? I've seen many pickups with plows that had front end problems after plowing roads and parking lots. I guess the occasional driveway use might not have that big an impact.

I didn't say it caused less or the same wear, I'm saying it doesn't cause premature wear as claimed. Just the bumper alone for sure doesn't.

If a 125# bumper was causing premature wear, what do you think a 1,000# plow hanging 4 feet off the front axle would do?

We average 75" a year, plow a ton of commercial and even more residential (mostly with tractors and inverted blowers). Plows stay on for 3-4 months straight. Last year we plowed\salted for 7 weeks without hardly a break. So if a 125# bumper was causing that much wear, how much would something that weighs 10x that cause?

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
John j......you steal my truck when I wasn't looking?:happy107:20190917_104526.jpg

Polarisman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 later ecodiesel
I have a ranch hand replacement bumper on my 1500 outdoorsman and it’s about 125 lbs looks great and now I am no longer afraid of deer . When I removed the stock bumper from ram what a joke it’s so flimsy you can twist it back and forth with your bare hands

OP
OP
Steve Cloud

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a ranch hand replacement bumper on my 1500 outdoorsman and it’s about 125 lbs looks great and now I am no longer afraid of deer . When I removed the stock bumper from ram what a joke it’s so flimsy you can twist it back and forth with your bare hands

Could you maybe post a photo of it? I'm really wondering how it changes the look of the front end without the factory bumper. I see a lot of 2500s out there, but not so many 1500s.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen some of those being installed and they had to hold it up with a fork lift when they were bolting it up. Their heavy and tough!
Jay