Random tick, misfire code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mopar4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2005 ram 5.7, 144,000 miles, all stock

About a week ago I started up my truck (cold start) and got a loud tick tick. I confirmed it was at idle and increased with light tap of throttle. Lasted for about 10 seconds and went away.

Today I started up my truck (cold start) and got the loud tick again. Same as above, light tap of throttle confirmed tick increased with rpm. After about 10 seconds it went away.

Between the two above occurrences I used my truck plenty with no issues.

Again today I stopped at a store for about 15 minutes, came out to start my truck (completely warmed up engine) and it did the tick again for about 10 seconds. The engine light came on this time. Got home and checked the code, p0306, cylinder 6 misfire.

No matter if it’s ticking or not it idles smooth and drives fine.

I pulled cylinder 6 plugs, replaced them and swapped the coil with cylinder 2 coil, reset the codes and I started twice with no ticking.

Being random and it goes away after 10 seconds could this still be an internal issue? If this is an internal issue can more damage be done by continuing to drive it, could be a week or two before a mechanic can look at it.

8EB4F5E8-A38C-4526-A4A0-DD7D6F98C35F.jpeg

6483B4B2-F0E6-48F2-A51B-5F630F4BF6E3.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mopar4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I changed the plugs. Two warm starts with no ticking. 45 minutes later had ticking.

FaceDeAce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check the exhaust manifolds for broken bolts or even crack in manifold.
A leak there will “tick”. A leak there will also suck air, causing the O2 sensor to sense lean and cause very rich condition on that side. Rich (or lean) can result in random misfires

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Likely a cam lob wiped, no real danger if continuing to drive, but I doubt it lasts long. You will likely need cam and lifters.

OP
OP
M

Mopar4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well
The noise was starting to happen more frequently on startups. I took it to an old skool mechanic. He diagnosed it as a sticky lifter on cyl 6 intake. I was fully prepared for a top end job. He recommended an oil change along with some lifter treatment. He did the oil, filter and treatment and the sticky lifter completely stopped so far. $93 total

coincidence or not i just switched to valv max life on same oil change noise started. Probably had about 3000 miles on that oil. Mechanic didnt have much good to say about max life oils in general.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would agree with your mechanic on any brand of high mileage oil. They do not stop "renewing" your gaskets and seals once they start. Given that, if you only used it once, your engine will be okay, it's regular use that ends up doing damage in the long run.