Rattling engine sound. 2020 Ram 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KelliB

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 big horn. I had my first service done in early July. Fuel filters were changed, oil changed and a recall was completed. The recall was a large software update concerning the cold weather start up. As soon as the service was done, the engine was making a rattle. I have had this looked at by a dealership and spoke to another dealership. I am being told this is completely normal. I know this is not normal because for the last year I have had the truck it has never made the sound. Is anyone else having this issue or has anyone heard of this?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 big horn. I had my first service done in early July. Fuel filters were changed, oil changed and a recall was completed. The recall was a large software update concerning the cold weather start up. As soon as the service was done, the engine was making a rattle. I have had this looked at by a dealership and spoke to another dealership. I am being told this is completely normal. I know this is not normal because for the last year I have had the truck it has never made the sound. Is anyone else having this issue or has anyone heard of this?
Can you take a good, quality video and post it to YouTube and post the link here? If I can hear the noise I can tell you what it is.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Recordings should always be taking underneath engine and not in garage, I have done this as well. This isolates the issue, too much ambient noise and rebound noise with this recording. I didn't hear much as is, listened again with noise cancelling headphones, I got nothing.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds awful. Diesel correct?

OP
OP
K

KelliB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Yes. It's my husband's truck and it's driving him crazy since it's only a year old. The dealership said it sounds normal which we do not believe

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Honestly that sounds like a normal 6.7 Cummins from your video, but its possible it sounds different in person.

You can always ask your dealer to compare your truck to another diesel on the lot, but in my experience working on FCA trucks for the last 15 years it sounds pretty normal.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
First diesel?

I drove a Cummins for a decade for work, and I also owned a Cummins Ram, there is nothing wrong with that truck. It had to sound like this day one, so why would you buy it or verify before you did? This is how the machines sound, good news yes?

OP
OP
K

KelliB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Actually no it did not sound like this from day one. I drove it for a full year with absolutely no issues. I went and had the first service done and recall completed and the sound changed.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There must be something not getting across sound wise in the video then, because it sounds like every other 6.7 Cummins out there. I just worked on 2 separate ones the other day and they sounded just like your video.

Get the dealer to compare it to one on the lot for you. If there’s a difference then you have proof, if they sound the same then it’s most likely you just didn’t really pay attention to it before.