Rattling noise after level...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammy56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few weeks back I had a 2.5" level with uca's, and bags in the rear.

Could be a coincidence, but I noticed the rattle shortly after. Took it back to the shop that installed everything and they checked their work, and couldn't find anything...

So far Ive checked my fog lights, running boards...

The rattle seems a little like the sound of two bottles clanking together after I hit a bump.

Any ideas? The noise might make me lose what little sanity I have left!

Thanks!

OP
OP
hammy56

hammy56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot to mention- it only seems to rattle when I hot a bump on the passenger side.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Can you look and see if the spacers look the same in terms of placement? i remember on my Tacoma having a noise after getting munroe coil overs installed. just a sound on the left side. turns out there was a little poly cushion on the bottom of each coil that they said "must have slipped to the side when i hit a bump" while the coilovers were still breaking in. (pparently it was supposed to wear a groove in this poly cushion so it cupped the bottom of the coil (i had been on zero bumps beyond mild railway tracks) doing some research, it was more likely it wasn't installed correctly by the mechanic at the shop. Anyways ,mistakes happen.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
What did you torque the 3 nuts mating the strut mount to spacer? They need 55 ft lbs which isn’t easy to do without a good vice, loctite is the staple as this is a one time use.

OP
OP
hammy56

hammy56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What did you torque the 3 nuts mating the strut mount to spacer? They need 55 ft lbs which isn’t easy to do without a good vice, loctite is the staple as this is a one time use.
I didn’t do the work.

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The way you describe it sounds like a light plastic kind of rattle instead of a heavy clunk. Is that right? I’d check the plastic inner fender liners up front that surround the top of the struts. Maybe something is loose or out of place from the install and is now rattling around a bit?

OP
OP
hammy56

hammy56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The way you describe it sounds like a light plastic kind of rattle instead of a heavy clunk. Is that right? I’d check the plastic inner fender liners up front that surround the top of the struts. Maybe something is loose or out of place from the install and is now rattling around a bit?

This was my initial line of thinking.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Have the shop loosen the bolts that hold your upper control arms to the frame. Then drive back and forth 10-15 feet while the bolts are loose. Then re torque the bolts. All while the truck is on the ground. It sounds like they might have tightened your suspension parts not under load.

OP
OP
hammy56

hammy56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have the shop loosen the bolts that hold your upper control arms to the frame. Then drive back and forth 10-15 feet while the bolts are loose. Then re torque the bolts. All while the truck is on the ground. It sounds like they might have tightened your suspension parts not under load.
Thanks...I'll be looking at it later today, so I might try and do this.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Thanks...I'll be looking at it later today, so I might try and do this.

It’s a quick and easy fix if that’s what it is. If not at least you know those bolts are torqued properly. From your explanation that’s what it sounds like

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I’ve overtorqued the UCA to frame bolts, the ear pinches causing a bushing ‘mouse’ squeak on quick bumps.

Make sure you do one adjustment at a time so if the noise goes away, you’ve pinpointed solution for future reference. Especially if you decide to start drenching everything in spray lube. I’ll bet you throw a shot in the middle of the strut mount it goes away.

100 ft-lbs in the top UCA to frame bolts

Last edited:
OP
OP
hammy56

hammy56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s a quick and easy fix if that’s what it is. If not at least you know those bolts are torqued properly. From your explanation that’s what it sounds like
thanks...torque spec you recommend??