re 90 D150 d3.9 l - stalling and flooding issues (SOLVED)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imtonydillard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My issue is my truck is 9 times out of 10 when I come to a stop. Sometimes I can get it to start immediately. Most of the time it take 5+ minutes and smells like it's flooded. BTW, this mostly happens when my truck is near empty. Not so likely to happen when i have a 1/2 tank or more of gas. Also, I parked uphill the other day and had a real hard time starting it. I put it in neutral and rolled it to as close as possible to level ground and got it to start. There's also been times when it stalled before I came to a full stop and I tried to roll start and no go.

My vac lines are all good. My throttle body has been rebuilt and I also have a new EGR valve.

Most of my research points to the fuel pump as the culprit. What are your thoughts? I went ahead and bought a new fuel pump but can find where the existing one is to replace it. HEEELLLPPP please. My Haynes manual is failing me.

DustyDog99

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 D250, 1986 W150
Engine
1985:318-2bbl 1986:318-4bbl
Fuel pump is in the tank and is part of the sending unit. It does sound like the culprit.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
imtonydillard

imtonydillard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced the fuel pump but can't get the truck to start. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
imtonydillard

imtonydillard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I turn the key on I hear a brief click and buzz in the engine compartment. I hear absolutely nothing when I from the fuel pump.

fuel pump module.jpg

OP
OP
imtonydillard

imtonydillard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a new fuel pump from NAPA to replace the new fuel pump I bought from Auto Zone (last week) and it started immediately.

Lessons learned:
  • Take your time (had I done so I would not have broken the supply and return valves on the assembly)
  • Buy quality parts
  • Keep all receipts
  • Keep all part boxes (at least 6 months)

How I fixed my broken valves:
  • see pics
Forward Thinking:
  • I cut a hole in the bed of the truck where the assembly is located so that in the future I can remove and replace it in as little as 5 minutes.

IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

truck.jpg