Re-Gen mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I have a 2014 6.7 that is 100% stock. I run my OBD Link app on my phone when driving to see my exhaust temps.

I let the sensor right after the turbo drop below 400 before shutting off the truck. I read something talking about shutting off the engine with a hot turbo can start cooking the small amount in it once the oil quits flowing. No idea if that is actually an issue, but sitting in the truck with it running for another minute or two doesn't bother me.

Because I have all of the exhaust temps on one screen, I can see when the truck goes into regen.

I just got back from an 800 mile trip to see in-laws last night. This morning, on my 10 minute drive to work, the truck starts going into regen. I just spent multiple hours on the highway, why couldn't this have initiated during that time period?

What initiates the regen cycle? I have seen an option to manually engage it through AlfaOBD, but it seems like that is more for the dealer to use. Not sure it's the same option the truck does on it's own when driving.

I realize deleting would remedy all of this, but I'm looking at what can be done with the truck as is.

Just a little annoyed that the truck had multiple opportunities for a regen, but chose my short trip to work to initiate instead. I ended up driving down the highway for a bit during my lunch break to let it run the process, so everything is back to normal now.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
The short time my truck was undeleted I had no idea when regeneration occurred. I don't think you should drive yourself crazy trying to monitor it. As long as you get it warmed up when it is driven I don't think it matters when the regeneration event happens. On another subject, I would advise you to run with the exhaust brake on to help keep soot from building up in your vgt turbo, as this keeps the shutters moving and less likely to get stuck.

OP
OP
JMod45

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
The short time my truck was undeleted I had no idea when regeneration occurred. I don't think you should drive yourself crazy trying to monitor it. As long as you get it warmed up when it is driven I don't think it matters when the regeneration event happens. On another subject, I would advise you to run with the exhaust brake on to help keep soot from building up in your vgt turbo, as this keeps the shutters moving and less likely to get stuck.

It's really more annoying than anything else. My drive to work is not enough time to really warm up, I think it is about 8 miles. Usually by the time I park, the temp is down to 430-450, and drops below 400 within a minute or so. Yesterday, the temp was about 580 when I parked, so it took quite a bit longer to cool down. Had I not taken the time to drive around before going home, it would have kept doing that until I did have a long drive.

If it isn't apparent already, I overthink things. The majority of diesel owners drive it just like a naturally aspirated gas engine, and don't seem to have any trouble.

As far as the exhaust brake, I leave it on full all of the time. Really looking forward to a tune that will leave this enabled by default. I will likely delete at some point, and won't have to worry about these things anymore.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've had my 2017 with 39,000 miles since June and driven it a little over 5,000 miles with about 1000 of that towing my TT. I have no idea if it has ever done a re-gen and as long as there are no problems I guess I don't care.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The regen cycle is initiated by the ECM. When the dpf reaches a certain percentage of blockage it is initiated as soon as it gets to operating temperature. If the regen cycle gets interrupted, cut short, it will start again when the temperature gets right. Short trips, idling and low temps all contribute to how often and when it does it. The system is very complex and even the brand of motor oil and weight has a significant influence on its operation. I drove a Volvo with a 15 series Cummins that kept having regen problems that couldn’t be figured out. The EGR finally grenaded and dumped a significant amount of coolant in the intake at highway speed under load and caused catastrophic damages. If you have dpf problems, it can be just about anything from the dpf system to an internal engine problem. Even contaminated def.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The truck measures differential pressure across the DPF and will initiate a regen when it hit s certain point. It has no idea that you are driving on a cross country trip or just going to the 7-11.

I have a couple gauges set up in Torque pro so I can see when the next one will occur.

When the gauge in the picture I have labeled soot get's to 100% the regen will begin and the regen gauge will go to On and the EGT will rise.

Screenshot_20190913-090153.png

OP
OP
JMod45

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
The truck measures differential pressure across the DPF and will initiate a regen when it hit s certain point. It has no idea that you are driving on a cross country trip or just going to the 7-11.

I have a couple gauges set up in Torque pro so I can see when the next one will occur.

When the gauge in the picture I have labeled soot get's to 100% the regen will begin and the regen gauge will go to On and the EGT will rise.

View attachment 183463

Definitely understand the truck has no idea where it's going, that's why I wish there was a way to tell it "Now's a good time if you need regen"

I've tried using torque lite before, but never really got the hang of it. Didn't want to pay for something I won't use. I really like that soot% gauge though. At least then I would know it's coming up soon, and could plan for it happening. What input did you use to set that up? I'm wondering if I could do something similar with the OBDlink app, or if I'll have to jump into torque and finally learn it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Definitely understand the truck has no idea where it's going, that's why I wish there was a way to tell it "Now's a good time if you need regen"

I've tried using torque lite before, but never really got the hang of it. Didn't want to pay for something I won't use. I really like that soot% gauge though. At least then I would know it's coming up soon, and could plan for it happening. What input did you use to set that up? I'm wondering if I could do something similar with the OBDlink app, or if I'll have to jump into torque and finally learn it.

It looks like you can add custom PIDs to OBDlink app so it should work. I'll try it later and see if I can get it to work and let you know.

pullinair

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
It looks like you can add custom PIDs to OBDlink app so it should work. I'll try it later and see if I can get it to work and let you know.

Any luck on this? I just received my OBDLinkMX+ and am looking for the information you have setup on Torque Pro. Any chance you can spell out how you setup the gauges in Torque Pro - or at least the PIDS you used?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Any luck on this? I just received my OBDLinkMX+ and am looking for the information you have setup on Torque Pro. Any chance you can spell out how you setup the gauges in Torque Pro - or at least the PIDS you used?

It works if you are using Torque Pro (what I use) just wasn't familiar with that other program that guy was using. I'll get the PID info together and message you with it. If you don't hear from me in a day or 2 hit me up just so I don't forget.

OP
OP
JMod45

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I started playing with OBD Link again last week, seeing what all options I may have missed. Found "Normalized Trigger for DPF Regen" and set it as a dial. Seen it slowly climbing 1-2% every day. Just curious if it starts the cycle when the gauge gets to 100%, or sooner.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I started playing with OBD Link again last week, seeing what all options I may have missed. Found "Normalized Trigger for DPF Regen" and set it as a dial. Seen it slowly climbing 1-2% every day. Just curious if it starts the cycle when the gauge gets to 100%, or sooner.
it will start a regen when it gets to 100%

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Mine is also a 2014 6.7L, that is completely stock as well. Unlike the 3500 silverado I had with the duramax, I havent even noticed my RAM regenerate.

That duramax, seemed as if it regened about every 100 miles or so, it was ridiculous. The GM regen dumps diesel into the exhaust and you could almost see the gas gauge move, due to the amount of extra fuel it was using to regen.

mkcummins66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

View attachment 183463

are you able to explain how you set that up on torque pro? or is pretty simple?

mkcummins66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

View attachment 183463

Are you able to help me out with how you got the gauge that you have labeled as soot and the regen on / off gauge I cant seem to find the right ones.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Are you able to help me out with how you got the gauge that you have labeled as soot and the regen on / off gauge I cant seem to find the right ones.

You have to manually create/enter those PIDs, they are not there by default. Here is the PID info

For the soot it's. (select a dial for the widget or digital if you just want a number)

PID: 018b
Long Name: DPF Status
Short Name: Soot
Min value: 0
Max Value: 100.0
Unit type: %
Equation: (C˟100)/255 ....Note, the character after the C is the "times" symbol, not an asterisk
Header: Auto

Regen status. (select a on/off widget)

PID: 018b
Long Name: Regen Status
Short Name: Regen
Min value: 0
Max Value: 2.0
Equation: BIT (B:0)
Header: Auto

If a field isn't listed about just leave it blank or whatever it is defaulted to.