Re-keying the driver door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ster1

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm re-keying my driver door, 2011 2500 5.7. I can find door cylinders and blank keys, but I can't find any as a set. Doesn't anyone sell a door lock cylinder with a matching key or 2? Do the door cylinders I can get from Dodge (or anyone else for that matter) have a number that I could give to a locksmith to help him cut the key? How does it work? It just seems odd to me that I cannot buy a lock cylinder and key as a set. I know I'd have to program the truck to accept the key for starting. Thanks for your advise!

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I would start by having a conversation with a locksmith. If the lock cylinder can be disassembled they can change the pins inside the existing lock to a different key cut. I do it all the time with other locks. I don’t know about the RAM door cylinder.

Who has told you a matching cylinder and key are unavailable, the dealer? It’s probably two separate parts.

peter cain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would start by having a conversation with a locksmith. If the lock cylinder can be disassembled they can change the pins inside the existing lock to a different key cut. I do it all the time with other locks. I don’t know about the RAM door cylinder.

Who has told you a matching cylinder and key are unavailable, the dealer? It’s probably two separate parts.
Thanks! Nobody told me matching sets are available, I had just assumed they would be. I had hoped to only get a locksmith involved when it same time to program the new key to the truck. I had hoped to get a new cylinder and a couple matching keys before that time came. When you get a new cylinder from dodge, I assume it’s “blank” like a new key would be?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, Traveling Ram makes a good point. If the lock can come apart (which from the pictures looks like they certainly do by removing the E-clip in the back), new tumbler pins (of different lengths) can be installed. Or better yet, just swap around the lock cylinder's existing pins to different holes (basically changing the key needed). Then make up new key/s to fit the new tumbler pin orientations. Pretty standard locksmith stuff.

Probably no reason to buy anything new. If you use the locks and they feel worn out, looks like they're $35-ish new. Then re-key new ones. But talk to a locksmith first. If he gives you a no-can-do reply ...call another one or two. Locksmiths do different things. Some do a lot of security systems, commercial accounts and so fourth. You need to find a guy who doesn't mind messing with door locks. Or it may make more sense to buy new locks and install them yourself.

If your truck has an old-school metal key (some do), AND you want that metal key to match the door keys, changing that key to match will be a bigger ordeal requiring more work. But if it's an electronic key you don't need to do that.

Metal Key work: The metal key cylinder is part of an electronic assembly under your dash. "Assembly" is the key word here. The assembly (ignition module) is pretty pricey new. Getting at the lock pins will require some disassembly of the module itself. But certainly do-able. But finding a locksmith to do that work (and guarantee it on an old truck) will be the trick. If you took the module or piece they needed to change the tumbers on to the locksmith along with the door locks they could do it. Again this pertains to a module that uses a metal key (like certain base Tradesmans).

There are a bunch of youtube videos on how to disassemble the WIN module. And also, these Win Modules like you have in your pickup are somewhat problematic as they age. The contacts get dirty, and/or bad solder joints can develop and the vehicle won't start regularly (or at all) when you turn the key. Both are simple and usually easy fixes for the moderately-skilled (motivated) individual. Sooo....if someone DID disassemble and clean the contacts on yours, it would certainly be a good bit of preventative maintenance. Again, that's *if* your truck has an actual Key, *and* you wanted to change the tumblers so the door & ignition keys all match (which you may not want/need to do).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963