Read about my first experience w/ 19 Rebel in deep snow...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, glad U R enjoying yer ride. I have the 5.7 standard (no E-torque), and standard Stock ride (no air suspension). SInce weather not an issue, still have OEM tires on. I do intend to put LTX's on, when have the $$$$$..

R

Rogues Gambit

Still have OEM's myself, but love how our beasts our!

Nice story, definitely wanna visit Washington someday btw

Greg Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eTorque Hemi 5.7
I'm in Spokane and heard a lot about that snowfall. Thanks for sharing, nice writeup.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My big Horn handles 10 inches of snow just fine.

I'd be uh oh, with the OEM in snow. If I had LTX's, I'd be smiling, LOL. Gotta wait a lil till get things done, that have a higher priority then tires in Central Texas, average snowfall 1-3 inches each year,,, (Now I gotta duck unda table before RADO finds me, LMAO)))

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd be uh oh, with the OEM in snow. If I had LTX's, I'd be smiling, LOL. Gotta wait a lil till get things done, that have a higher priority then tires in Central Texas, average snowfall 1-3 inches each year,,, (Now I gotta duck unda table before RADO finds me, LMAO)))

I'm still running OEM Goodyear wranglers. IMHO, theyarent too bad as long as keep them at 42 psi. They have handle every snow and ice storm without issue.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm still running OEM Goodyear wranglers. IMHO, theyarent too bad as long as keep them at 42 psi. They have handle every snow and ice storm without issue.

True story to tell about OEM Goodyear Wrangler SRAs. When I bought my first Titan, they came with 18" GY SRAs as OEM. At that time (2004), there were essentially two options for OEM 18" tires once you needed replacement - GY and Continentals. My truck came with a full size, mounted on the fancy rim spare same as the 4 regular tires.

At about 35k miles the OEMs were almost toast - very little tread left. Because there wasn't any 18" options, 4 replacement Goodyear SRAs was about $1000. I told them to take the full-size never used spare, mount it on one of the regular wheels (because of the tire pressure sensors), put one of the worn out ones on the spare wheel, and I would buy 3 regular tires. So when they were done I had 4 matching 18" Goodyear SRAs on the truck - 3 new ones from the tire store, and the spare tire. Out of curiosity, I marked the spare tire to see how well it would wear compared to the others.

The replacement 3 tires had about 1/2 tread life left at about 30k miles and the replacement OEM was almost bald. I never thought there was a difference between replacement tires and OEMs but that experiment makes it obvious the OEMs must be made with a softer compound in order to necessitate tire replacement sooner. Not that I blame the tire companies, but I think people should be aware that a tire is not a tire. And I kept track of the OEM tires on my next 3 new vehicles, and all of them (2 Kias and another Nissan) needed new tires before 40k miles, while the similar replacements made it 55k or more.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally, hate em, so when I get any $$$$$$$, ha ha, win lottery, go to Discount and sell em OEM and get ltx's or Toyo. Main reason, if I gotta hook up and pull trailer, and I got dem big *** hossies in there, sometimes, I have issues getting out of yard, just saying....

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My completely bald tires got around fine in snow too, but its wayyyy better now with fresh snow rated all terrains.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
True story to tell about OEM Goodyear Wrangler SRAs. When I bought my first Titan, they came with 18" GY SRAs as OEM. At that time (2004), there were essentially two options for OEM 18" tires once you needed replacement - GY and Continentals. My truck came with a full size, mounted on the fancy rim spare same as the 4 regular tires.

At about 35k miles the OEMs were almost toast - very little tread left. Because there wasn't any 18" options, 4 replacement Goodyear SRAs was about $1000. I told them to take the full-size never used spare, mount it on one of the regular wheels (because of the tire pressure sensors), put one of the worn out ones on the spare wheel, and I would buy 3 regular tires. So when they were done I had 4 matching 18" Goodyear SRAs on the truck - 3 new ones from the tire store, and the spare tire. Out of curiosity, I marked the spare tire to see how well it would wear compared to the others.

The replacement 3 tires had about 1/2 tread life left at about 30k miles and the replacement OEM was almost bald. I never thought there was a difference between replacement tires and OEMs but that experiment makes it obvious the OEMs must be made with a softer compound in order to necessitate tire replacement sooner. Not that I blame the tire companies, but I think people should be aware that a tire is not a tire. And I kept track of the OEM tires on my next 3 new vehicles, and all of them (2 Kias and another Nissan) needed new tires before 40k miles, while the similar replacements made it 55k or more.

No doubt, OEM are different than aftermarket. I haven't had any issues with the goodyear wranglers, but still wouldn't replace with Goodyear. Too many better tires out there.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My completely bald tires got around fine in snow too, but its wayyyy better now with fresh snow rated all terrains.

Racing slicks???? lol, couldn't help myself

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Racing slicks???? lol, couldn't help myself

Haha you hit the nail on the head, one too many "accidental burnouts".... towards the end of the tires it seemed to always be so slippery and my traction control would somehow turn off all the time....just got my new tires on about a month ago but went through a few decent snow storms and ice storms on the old slicks this winter, and they got me everywhere, just a lot slower and with a lot more wheel spin.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did U stick yer foot out the door and have a Fred Flinstone/Barney Rubble moment?????

JUST to stay with thread:

Glad to hear the MY 19 doing well in the snow and conditions. Since they have the new 75 tranny this year, was wondering on any performance differences. I believe they just tweaked the shift patterns and such....

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
R

Rogues Gambit

So, since we're talking OEM's, upgrade early or wait for 'em to go bad?

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW, that could be the $64,000 question. U will get 2 replies, PPL that luv em say wait. PPL that hate 'em say Right Now. Kinda depends upon yer driving and stuff. Since U R in NJ, prob off of Hwy 35 up there, and snow and all, maybe better "shoes" be in the near future for U. If I was still there in NJ, I would have changed out. BUT now, I do not know what tires U got, not sure what OEM on REBEL. U may have a decent tire.

Down here, they put dem sorry *** SRA's on. Without a doubt, if I had to drive through Jersey weather in winter, there be better shoes on da Red Beast. All IMHO...

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I doing the same, but since weather here not like up in NJ, got options. It gonna be either Toyo's or LTX's for here... (Coopers 3rd alt)

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
It's funny that you think 10" is DEEP snow!
That's the lowest snowfall I've seen since the start of Feb. and we've been getting 1-2 snowstorms a week...
Towns are running out of places to put it all and most of our streets are nearly down to 1 lane traffic.
I start work at midnight and haven't missed a day yet.
This Ram is awesome.