"Real" Towing ratings for RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I have seen several places telling me what each of the Ram's can tow. Strangely, none of them seem to match. Even RAM webpage disagrees with with several of the truck websites that are considered the authorities.

I am buying a 40 ft toy hauler in the next couple of months and I need to know how much truck I need. BTW...I REALLY HATE dualies so I am trying to avoid them.

Thanks!

Jim Stinson
MMCS/SS USN (ret)
Lake Charles, LA

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As with any larg trailer, you need to know what the loaded pin weight is going to be. That will determine how much truck you'll need(whether your in dually territory or not).
For any vehicle, look up the SAE J2807 chart, that will give the actual rating for truck platform. The GAWR will the primary numbers you'll want to pay attention to.
I'm going to guess loaded up 40' TH will put you north of 20K, that is probably dually territory. Also taking a guess at the pin of 5K, and most SRW trucks top out at 7K GAWR(there is already 3k on the axle).

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
For any vehicle, look up the SAE J2807 chart, that will give the actual rating for truck platform. The GAWR will the primary numbers you'll want to pay attention to.
I'm going to guess loaded up 40' TH will put you north of 20K, that is probably dually territory. Also taking a guess at the pin of 5K, and most SRW trucks top out at 7K GAWR(there is already 3k on the axle).

There are two numbers, payload, and tow weight rating. A fifth-wheel RV will have, typically, 20% of its weight on the pin. Use the fifth-wheel's gross weight to calculate the pin weight, not its dry weight.

OP, like you, I didn't want anything to do with a dually. So with a 3500's SRW capabilities in hand, I was able to shop for an RV that it could safely manage. I pull a 42 foot Montana 3790RD, has a wet weight around 15K and change pounds and a pin weight just under 3,000 pounds (all CAT scaled) and I tow with an SRW Cummins with 3:42 axle ratios, without issue.

3790rd side.jpg 3790rd.jpg

Regarding new vehicle tow and payload numbers, I would only look at what RAM publishes. They typically publish payload numbers for a single cab 2 wheel drive base model. The actual payload number of any vehicle can be found on a placard in the driver's door jab, it is the same placard as the one that lists tire pressures.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
A dually would be my one and only pick if I was going the towing route. In reality, I'd get a 42' motorcoach with a tag axle. Then I could pull a stacker trailer loaded with my Camaro and Corvette.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
A dually would be my one and only pick if I was going the towing route. In reality, I'd get a 42' motorcoach with a tag axle. Then I could pull a stacker trailer loaded with my Camaro and Corvette.

I guess you aren't interested in sightseeing venues as you travel where parking is difficult and a dually is just out of the question. Besides, running a dually for a smaller trailer, like mine, is over capacity.

I just love you guys with the big bucks :)

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am buying a 40 ft toy hauler in the next couple of months and I need to know how much truck I need. BTW...I REALLY HATE dualies so I am trying to avoid them.

If you are going to load a trailer that size anywhere near the GVWR you are going to be over the rear axle rating of any single rear wheel pickup. The biggest concern is the tires will be over loaded. Will the truck do the job, most likely, but by the numbers you are over loaded. You should at a minimum get tires that are up to the load. People tow too heavy every day but it doesn't make sense to me to buy a truck that is over loaded from day one.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Same rear axles on SRW and DRW trucks. Difference is in adding two more tires for a gain of tire payload capacity of roughly 80%. Stock tires are usually rated at 3200 lbs or 6400 for the two at the rear axle and about 11,500 for DRW. But there are Nitto, Toyo, and BFG tires that are rated at 3750 for load capacity of 7500 at the rear axle which provides for a 4,000 lb. payload or hitch load, and there is the option of going to 19.5 wheels and tires that provide 4800 lbs load capacity or 9600 lbs for the rear of the truck (this is the route taken by Ford with the F-450 and F-550 trucks).

The only people I see using DRW trucks are those pulling stock trailers that weigh over 20,000 lbs when loaded. 80% of the 5th wheels I see on the highways are being towed with a SRW truck.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Same rear axles on SRW and DRW trucks. Difference is in adding two more tires for a gain of tire payload capacity of roughly 80%. Stock tires are usually rated at 3200 lbs or 6400 for the two at the rear axle and about 11,500 for DRW. But there are Nitto, Toyo, and BFG tires that are rated at 3750 for load capacity of 7500 at the rear axle which provides for a 4,000 lb. payload or hitch load, and there is the option of going to 19.5 wheels and tires that provide 4800 lbs load capacity or 9600 lbs for the rear of the truck (this is the route taken by Ford with the F-450 and F-550 trucks).

The only people I see using DRW trucks are those pulling stock trailers that weigh over 20,000 lbs when loaded. 80% of the 5th wheels I see on the highways are being towed with a SRW truck.

Interesting.... I know the whole 2500/3500 trucks (in 2014 when my 2500 was made) are the same but I didn't realize the axles on the SRW and DRW were the same. So, my new tires are rated at 7200# total but that is still the weak link in the chain?

With my RAWR being 6500# I just figured the axle itself was now the weak link. If that's true I have 700# more "breathing room" than I thought I did. My 11,000# 5th wheel (plus hitch in the bed and people in the truck) results in 6000# on the rear axle at the absolute highest.

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The dual rear wheel trucks for ‘19 have bigger bearings, bigger brakes, bigger bolt pattern, 12” ring gear, and possibly bigger axle tubes, I am not sure about them.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
It varies by year and manufacturer. GM upgraded its 2500/3500 truck frames and axles in 2011, Ram did with the 3500 in 2013 and the 2500 in 2014 and Ford did this starting in 2017 and again for its 2020 super duty trucks.

Most heavy duty trucks have axles from AAM and the load capacity of their axles and wheel bearings has increased a great deal over the past 20 years. With GM the DRW trucks have rear brake rotors that are about 1/4" larger in diameter and that is it. AAM makes the axles and wheel bearing for Ram trucks.

Ford is interesting in that their F-350 and F-250 can have different components and they make two different versions of the F-450, one for heavy hauling and the other for towing and they have vastly different payload ratings even though both are DRW.

With the AAM axles used on Ram trucks it is only the DRW diesel trucks that got the AAM 1180 axles which are 11.8" versus 11.5" for the AAM 1150 axle. No difference in load rating.

Good overview of 2500 vs 3500 trucks:

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/09/pickup-trucks-101-how-do-srw-2500s-and-3500s-differ.html

This segment competes based on tow specs and this influences frame design and axles and other components. With Ram I would be inclined to get the 3500 to get the rear leaf springs instead of coil springs as with the 2500.