real world trade in/ sell to dealer prices for 2020 Ram ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uaintlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 crew cab Big Horn that I am considering selling to a dealer. I love the truck but I just don't need it right now, and I am hearing and reading about the new truck shortages causing used truck values to rise. So my though is sell it right now, then wait a year or so before I buy a new one.

KBB.com says my truck with worth $42,000- 44,000 on trade, NADA.com is saying $46,800-$50,000 on trade,
but when I did the online offer with the VIN I got these offers, Carmax.com is saying $38,000, and Carvana.com is saying $36,500

I know there can be many variables in pricing, But does anyone have real world recent selling prices close to what KBB or NADA says these truck are worth?

I would just take it in and try for some pricing estimates, but they truck is lowered, so I would raise it back to stock before selling it, (and I don't want to do all that if I'm not going to happy with their offers and I decided to keep the truck)

PFA..

(or does anyone want to buy it how it sits? lol)

2020RamloweredFire.jpg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With it being altered I see that negatively effecting the truck from a dealers stand point. I know here the lots are actually pretty full, so I am guessing the price demand must be going down some. My local dealership has 82 rams on the lot.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I tend to trade/buy something different every 2-3yrs between our 2 vehicles and I often help family members w/ their vehicle transactions. My experience is some number between KBB's good and excellent value trade-in allowance is fair to the market at the time. If I can't get that, the deal doesn't happen.

You're obviously always going to loose some $ trading in and you will likely loose a tad more if you're not buying something with the same transaction. I see it as paying for the convenience.

I do check all the references I can such as NADA. That's a fairly large discrepancy between KBB and NADA. Not sure why.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I paid 43,000 or so for my '19 laramie and I have been offered up to 48,795 for it as trade in by local ram dealers. you could probably sell it in truck trader pretty fast

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
With it being altered I see that negatively effecting the truck from a dealers stand point. I know here the lots are actually pretty full, so I am guessing the price demand must be going down some. My local dealership has 82 rams on the lot.
Just curious where "here" is LOL. Dealer lots in my area (E. WA/N. ID) are pretty empty. It's amusing how creative they're trying to be in spacing out the vehicles they do have so the lots don't look so empty.

You might also try Vroom. I saw the highest offer from them when I was trading/selling a 2020 Laramie.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You could have just said Texas. I'm not truck shopping LOL. But thanks for answering my question. There is a large volume dealership a couple hours away from where I live (Dave Smith Motors). In normal times they stock anywhere between 200 and 300 Ram 1500's. They currently have less than 70 listed on their website, and it looks like 80% are in transit and not even on the lot yet.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 crew cab Big Horn that I am considering selling to a dealer. I love the truck but I just don't need it right now, and I am hearing and reading about the new truck shortages causing used truck values to rise. So my though is sell it right now, then wait a year or so before I buy a new one.

KBB.com says my truck with worth $42,000- 44,000 on trade, NADA.com is saying $46,800-$50,000 on trade,
but when I did the online offer with the VIN I got these offers, Carmax.com is saying $38,000, and Carvana.com is saying $36,500

I know there can be many variables in pricing, But does anyone have real world recent selling prices close to what KBB or NADA says these truck are worth?

I would just take it in and try for some pricing estimates, but they truck is lowered, so I would raise it back to stock before selling it, (and I don't want to do all that if I'm not going to happy with their offers and I decided to keep the truck)

PFA..

View attachment 465011

With the altered suspension, aftermarket rims, and rubber bands, you probably hurt yourself with the price you'd get trading it in. Dealers give you more for lifted trucks (as long as it's professionally done), but not for lowered trucks. You'd get a lot more for privately selling it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On top of the mods you have done that are hurting the value (in my opinion), you are a little late to the party I think. Inventory is on it's way back up and prices are coming down. It will take time for KBB and NADA to adjust pricing but I think you are going to see it dropping real soon.
I realize there may be areas that are still hurting but in general things are starting to swing a little from the crazy trade in values of a couple months ago.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
On top of the mods you have done that are hurting the value (in my opinion), you are a little late to the party I think. Inventory is on it's way back up and prices are coming down. It will take time for KBB and NADA to adjust pricing but I think you are going to see it dropping real soon.
I realize there may be areas that are still hurting but in general things are starting to swing a little from the crazy trade in values of a couple months ago.

Do you have data on this or is it an observation of the dealerships in your area? Not sure how inventory could be on its way back up with the factory currently closed down. There is a thread on another Ram forum that's keeping track of orders that were placed from early May until now. No one in that thread has taken delivery of their truck yet. I suspect any new trucks showing up on dealer lots recently were from orders placed early in the year. My local low volume dealership has less than half the number of new trucks on their lot. Very possible that its a regional thing, but from what I've read lately it's the same in many parts of the country.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Do you have data on this or is it an observation of the dealerships in your area? Not sure how inventory could be on its way back up with the factory currently closed down. There is a thread on another Ram forum that's keeping track of orders that were placed from early May until now. No one in that thread has taken delivery of their truck yet. I suspect any new trucks showing up on dealer lots recently were from orders placed early in the year. My local low volume dealership has less than half the number of new trucks on their lot. Very possible that its a regional thing, but from what I've read lately it's the same in many parts of the country.

I had to drive 3 hours west to Rockwall, TX to get my truck. I was keeping up with every Ram dealer within a 200 mile radius of me and I'd say that outside of Rockwall and AutoNation in Fort Worth, the other dealers averaged about 25 Rams. Rockwall and A-N had between 70 and 90 on their lot. While 25 isn't much, it's more than GMC, Chevrolet, Toyota, and Nissan had. Those guys would have 2 or 3. Currently, Rockwall has 76 and AutoNation has 47.

JohnnyBandit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

PFA..

View attachment 465011
ZERO offense.... But if the truck in your photo is your truck...... You are not going to get top dollar....

Your truck is not what the typical truck buyer is looking for and will cost a dealer a bunch of money to return it to a highly saleable truck

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Paid 52,000 for my 2019 power wagon, sold it for 60,000 2 weeks ago. 30k miles on it.. Right now is the time to sell, don’t trade in just sell it out right. First time in my life that I have made money on a vehicle and will prolly be the last, so enjoy it and sell it while you can!! I’m driving my old Toyota Tundra until the market goes back to normal then I will be buying something else. Now is the time to sell.

OP
OP
Uaintlo

Uaintlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

thanks for everyone's responses, I'm still on the fence if I want to keep it, or sell it...

and I'm happy to see the few who said the truck isn't worth as much since its lowered obviously didn't read this sentence in my original post
lol
but honestly I wouldn't expect anything less, I know most of you guys hate lowered truck..
but to each their own...

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
All the above might be true, only way to know for sure is bring it to a few dealers and see what they say .

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I clicked on that dealer weblink..am looking for a gas 2500..they have 1..and it's a power wagon