rear axle identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

erndog02

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
none
Hi I bought a trailer converted from a dodge truck. I need to replace the outer bearing seals but I have no idea what the axle came from. Do any one know of a data base that decodes axle stampings. The tag is not on it anymore.FRAME STAMP.jpgAXLE STAMP1.jpgAXLE STAMP2.jpgFRAME STAMP.jpgAXLE STAMP1.jpgAXLE STAMP2.jpg

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Looks like a 1971-74 8.25" from a B body (not sure what that is right now).

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
SOMEONE else will most likely jump in.. But I'm going to say just remove the seal & Bearing & take both to a good parts store.. Napa normally . in my town ''since I' no longer in the business'' our local Carquest is the best. But we also have a Purvis Bearing. You can just put those parts on the counter in front of a quality parts man & He can 98% of the time .. CROSS a couple of numbers & hand you a seal & bearing .
I am remembering that the B BODYS were . small cars like . Darts or Valiant's.
so I'd not thinking someone swapped a car rear axle under that pickup bed.
I'd think it was just the lightest duty pickup rear axle from the year of the bed.

.... But getting the bearings & seal should be to much of a problem.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I'm going to add a 2nd story here about little pickup bed trailers .
I think their great for small handy work ..
Many years ago when I had my part store . I had an old 1980 BRONCO 300cid & Np435 4speed. My hunting partner & I took it hunting out in New Mexico many times . SO I CAME up with a Chevy Luv PICK-UP bed trailer .& We decided to stop sleeping in cold tents , in the woods. SO I found a nice fiberglass camper topper w/ a raised top . That gave me more head room. SO WE remove the back seat from the Bronco & PUT DOWN HEAVY CARD BOARD in it floor . & Then his sleeping bags in there . & I did about the same thing in the LUV Bed . We really had us a nice camping rig. Since I had my parts store my old Bronco never wanted for a new part. One year we put 454 mile on that Bronco in 4 wheel drive hunting in New Mexico. & We slept much better .
That little camper box I'd added Leaf Spring helpers & H/D shocks. New M/S TIRES .. EVEN NEW SEALS. & changed the oil in the rear axle . Just to make sure It was in great shape . for our annual hunting adventure.
Does that sound like we had lots of fun. 4Wheeling up & down & Around those CAPITAN Mountains .
... In 4 wheel drive the Gas Mileage was terrible . Maybe 4.5mpg..

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
SOMEONE else will most likely jump in.. But I'm going to say just remove the seal & Bearing & take both to a good parts store.. Napa normally . in my town ''since I' no longer in the business'' our local Carquest is the best. But we also have a Purvis Bearing. You can just put those parts on the counter in front of a quality parts man & He can 98% of the time .. CROSS a couple of numbers & hand you a seal & bearing .
I am remembering that the B BODYS were . small cars like . Darts or Valiant's.
so I'd not thinking someone swapped a car rear axle under that pickup bed.
I'd think it was just the lightest duty pickup rear axle from the year of the bed.

.... But getting the bearings & seal should be to much of a problem.
B bodies were roadrunners, coronets, satellite, super bee, GTX, charger

And trucks would share those axles

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
ok I didn't remember for sure . SO THAT ANSWERS WHY IT'S UNDER THE PICK BED TRAILER .
nOW YOU MIGHT DO YOUR BEST TO TRY & DETERMINE what gear ratio it has in it. Someone with a Road Runner might need your gear ratio Pumkin.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
you could jack it up
place a strip of tape on the tires sidewall
place another strip of tape on whatever is left of the drive shaft mount

then spin the tire & count the number of rotations at the driveshaft mount

=============================