Rear axle whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just started about a week ago. I hear it in the cab at low & mid speeds mostly. Still under extended warranty. Best to see if they will change out the fluid or are the rear gears headed south? It's a 2016 with 3.92 LSD and a 5.7 Hemi 8 speed.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Put some cheese in there, I hear wine and cheese is a good combo, ha.

If you are under warranty you still are responsible for maintenance. I'd pop the cap make sure no gear tooth damage and take note of how many shavings are on the magnet. Need gasket maker for the install, I think it is under 3 quarts for a fill. If you see an issue I might just put Mopar fluid back.

More of an issue in cold places, do you tow heavy?

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a whine at 80k around 90k it got really bad. Fixed under warranty.

A transmission mechanic says he fixes these all the time. Apparently its common

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If there’s is whine coming from the rear end, changing fluid won’t do anything. Likely pinion bearings aren’t on their way out.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Could also be a rear wheel bearing.

Samo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just started about a week ago. I hear it in the cab at low & mid speeds mostly. Still under extended warranty. Best to see if they will change out the fluid or are the rear gears headed south? It's a 2016 with 3.92 LSD and a 5.7 Hemi 8 speed.

Did it sound like this?

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can't tell much from the video but this is a whine that changes with speed and is very hard to hear at speeds over 40 mph or so. It sounds like it's coming from the rear of the truck. I do run without MDS almost all the time, but it's not the same as the video from what I can tell.

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put some cheese in there, I hear wine and cheese is a good combo, ha.

If you are under warranty you still are responsible for maintenance. I'd pop the cap make sure no gear tooth damage and take note of how many shavings are on the magnet. Need gasket maker for the install, I think it is under 3 quarts for a fill. If you see an issue I might just put Mopar fluid back.

More of an issue in cold places, do you tow heavy?
I do tow about twice a month but usually around 4500 lbs or so on a 1200 lb. trailer. My rating is 10k for towing.

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a whine at 80k around 90k it got really bad. Fixed under warranty.

A transmission mechanic says he fixes these all the time. Apparently its common

What was it?

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bearing went south. Gears were ok.
I wish i could my paperwork i would be more specific.

This was an open differential too.
I have Dana LS that last into 200k miles before i sold the vehicle.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you notice it makes more noise under load? like in a high gear gently pressing the gas enough so it doesn't up shift? then quiet when coasting/not under load. My pinion bearings always make a little noise 200k+ never a issue But if your under warranty def take it in.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When mine started i swear it was a front bearing.....just whining all the time.

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found out today the rear axle has a tiny leak and we went ahead and changed out the fluids. Made a bit of difference in sound volume, but it's still there. Also have a very tiny anomaly in the driver's side rear axle. My mechanic buddy said when the sound gets so loud you know it's a huge problem, take it in for service [extended warranty will cover it].

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you notice it makes more noise under load? like in a high gear gently pressing the gas enough so it doesn't up shift? then quiet when coasting/not under load. My pinion bearings always make a little noise 200k+ never a issue But if your under warranty def take it in.
It just started so haven't towed since the noise showed up. Will know more next week when I have a 4k load in back.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 1500 with 90K miles. I don't tow much, maybe 30% of the time and have kept fluids changed prior to recommended. I towed a 5K trailer to FL ( about 900 miles) back in January. Nothing to report at that time. I drove locally a bit while camped. Two weeks later I towed the same 5K about 200 miles, and I thought I heard a whine ( att 55 MPH on 2 lane roads) from the rear but chalked it up to road noise. Setup my trailer and then drove around for another 2 weeks. The whine on daily drives (even at 25-35 MPH) got progressively worse like each day. By mid Feb I needed to tow my 5K trailer back home to KY from Pensacola area. When I hit the freeway I thought I was NOT going to be able to make the drive home ( about 900 miles). The noise was loud and constant ( but variable pitch with speed) at all speeds. I did make it home thankfully. Took it to dealer late February. They confirmed bad pinion bearings ( gears good) and replaced under extended Certified Used warranty at 93K miles. I now have 96 K miles and still good. I replaced Mopar fluid with Redline rear oil just to make ME feel good.

I have heard that mine was NOT a unique experience.

Geo Ling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
:mad3::mad3:Among my many problems with this truck, my 14-1500 4x4 was growling, rear end, started and stopped with feathering throttle, didn’t change with steering and was always there increasing/decreasing with speed.

identified bearing failure in rear end, “carrier bearings?” But with all the issues couldn’t get to it for months. Finally got the bearings replaced and now it’s HOWLING instead of growling!!!

AND...I have the :banghead: nervous shaking that plagues so many (if not all) of these 1500’s too.

I can’t believe I still love this truck! Something must be wrong with me too! :mad3:

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I tow TTs & boats daily commercially mostly in the 6 to 8k range with my 14 1500 Ecodiesel. rsdata sounds right to me with his pinion bearing guess. I’ve went through two of these already but now have 685k on the truck. Smart preventative maintenance is key for good service with minimal problems from any vehicle.

I now pop the rubber cap off every 30k when I’m back their doing my fuel filter change. Dip my finger in to inspect fluid for metal, color, & smell. At first sign change the fluid. 140/80 full Synthetic plus limited slip additive if you have limited slip. There is a drain cap below on the passenger side. Ram made it easy to inspect drain & fill. No need to remove the cover unless for repairs. A routine preventative maintenance fluid change would be every 5 years or 100k IMO.

But once it starts whining it’s only a matter of time.

Last edited: