Rear brake adjustment hole knockouts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BarryK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter 4x4
Hi all,

1998 Ram 1500 4x4.

The adjustment holes on the backing plates of the rear drums are sealed with metal on my truck. I'd like to open them to allow manual adjustment of the star wheel rather than relying on the automatic adjusters. It looks like it is possible to knock out the metal covers. Has anyone done this? Do the metal plates knock out easily? I don't want to damage the backing plates. I bought the rubber plugs for the holes. It looks like the rear hole is the one that lines up with the star wheel.

Thanks,
Barry

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have done it on my 96 and my 98, both are 1500s. Use a large flat chisel and a big hammer and knock them out. Its best to have the drums off, so the piece can get out.Now depending on how many miles you put on just make adjusting the brakes part of your regular maintenance routine.

OP
OP
B

BarryK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter 4x4
Thank you! Just knock out the rear holes, correct?

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don,t remember which 1 to knock out, but with the drums off you can tell.

OP
OP
B

BarryK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter 4x4
Thanks again!

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BarryK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter 4x4
These plates don't knock out that easily. Had to quit last night due to hammering noise.

How big of a chisel and hammer did you use? Any chance of damaging the backing plates?

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Years ago, I used a chisel that was just a little bit narrower than the length of the knockout. In other words, the largest that would fit. For a hammer, I used a drilling hammer, which I believe is 2-1/2#.

OP
OP
B

BarryK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter 4x4
I have a similar chisel and hammer that I will try. The jack stands were also in the way. I'll try with the wheels on the ground next time.

Thanks,
Barry