Rear Cab leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasoh1903

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a leak under the seat in my rear cab. It's not the third brake light, already replaced the seal. It's not the rear exhaust vents, I put silicon around those. It's also not the rear window seal as far as I can tell. I removed the back seat and insulation in the rear of cab. Then I ran a water hose on the roof of the truck, allowing the water to pour down the back of the cab. Nothing for about 5 mins. Then I noticed water pooling in between the sheet metal just under the rear exhaust vents. I can't tell where the water is gaining access to this spot. It drains out eventually, but I can't tell where it drains out from. Any suggestions?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It’s not the outer perimeter on the rear vents that leak it is the flaps on the vents , I paid 6 dollars apiece for mine .

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your rear sliding window is the frame cracked, are the drains clogged, and how's the seal between the glass and the window frame, pour water down the rear window and see if water is getting in there, are all of the rubber baffles in good condition on your cab vents, there is a revised cab vent that has a better baffle design.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I have a leak under the seat in my rear cab. It's not the third brake light, already replaced the seal. It's not the rear exhaust vents, I put silicon around those. It's also not the rear window seal as far as I can tell. I removed the back seat and insulation in the rear of cab. Then I ran a water hose on the roof of the truck, allowing the water to pour down the back of the cab. Nothing for about 5 mins. Then I noticed water pooling in between the sheet metal just under the rear exhaust vents. I can't tell where the water is gaining access to this spot. It drains out eventually, but I can't tell where it drains out from. Any suggestions?
Here is the way we used to check for leaks, at every place I ever worked as a tech. Not by adding water to the outside but air pressure to the inside. Most all cabs, or even car interiors will have those "cab vents". again usually black. Type in cabin vents on your computer to get an idea what you are looking for. Air entering the passenger compartment must be able to "escape" or more can not enter. Cover them with duct tape (it fixes everything), make sure they are sealed! Turn the key on, blower motor on HIGH. Stand out side the vehicle with a spray bottle of soapy water. Spray it EVERYWHERE. look for bubbles. just like you would do for a hole in a tire that goes flat. In your case I would "guess" !!! rear window gasket.
Just as a side note. Pontiac GP's had a leak in the front floor interior. Such a problem the made a campaign for it. The drain vent hoses for the slidind roof glass were made to long, so when the water went down the hose it could not escape went up the hose and overflow the window channel. So if you have a sliding rear window make sure the water that runs into that drain can escape!

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
what seal did you use for replacement 3rd brake light? did you attach it right. Did you run the seal from corner to corner? obviously pic is upside down, but you see?

29678179143_756fae61a6_z-jpg.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you have the rear Sliding Glass cab window
From in the cab look at the Track that the window slides on
Under that track, there is another piece that the slider fits into
In that piece, there are 2 drain holes.
The drains themselves pass through the large rubber seal that surrounds the window glass.

You may be able to pour water into the window track from the inside & then look at the rubber seal from outside, the water should trickle out

There is a Youtube video about just this
This is one of them

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a feeling that people are used to getting answers immediately, more like facebook, etc.
Like someone asks a question about a color of paint for a wall, they get 100 answers within a minute or two

Mike_in_SC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are any or you familiar with the trim, inside the back window? I just posted a ? I just picked up my 2018 Quad Cad after the dealer looked for a leak. After I got home I looked at the rear window.. I think they forgot to put some trim back on.. see the photos, what do you think?

Attachments

• DF28C1A7-4747-464C-AC6B-61024D235518.jpeg
    DF28C1A7-4747-464C-AC6B-61024D235518.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 12
  • CEAC3B6D-5AF1-44B9-8662-466560BBCB8B.jpeg
    CEAC3B6D-5AF1-44B9-8662-466560BBCB8B.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 13

Youmansd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
My water leak wasn’t the 3rd brake light as I stuffed toilet paper in both sides after removing light. Then reinstalled and toilet paper remained dry after pouring water over it. Wasn’t the two vents behind the rear seat, as I put towels underneath and they remained dry. It was the 2 vent holes in my back slider window inside the truck were clogged. I blew them out with air pressure then the 3 drain holes on lower back window on outside of truck. No more leaks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956