Rear Coil Springs and Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
We use pintle hooks\rings.

Why does it tow fine with my CCSB Cummins and feels squirrelly with my RCLB 6.4? There's something wrong with the suspension, not the hitch.

Why do all these trailers pull fine with any of my other trucks? IT is only one truck that is having this issue.

I've bought trucks that are rated to pull that amount of weight, shouldn't need a weight distributing hitch.

I use my trucks in a business, time is money. I don't have time to spend screwing with a weight distributing hitch up to 3 times a day with multiple crews.

Again, I'm not the only one that has had this issue but just like bad cab mounts, it isn't an every truck issue.

I suspect it is the difference in distance from the rear axle to the hitch between the SB and the LB. For the LB, the distance is probably farther causing there to be more weight on the rear axle and more unloading of the front axle (that is why most of us like to use WDH). Plus with the Cummins SB, you already have more weight on the front axle.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
We use pintle hooks\rings.

Why does it tow fine with my CCSB Cummins and feels squirrelly with my RCLB 6.4? There's something wrong with the suspension, not the hitch.

Why do all these trailers pull fine with any of my other trucks? IT is only one truck that is having this issue.

I've bought trucks that are rated to pull that amount of weight, shouldn't need a weight distributing hitch.

I use my trucks in a business, time is money. I don't have time to spend screwing with a weight distributing hitch up to 3 times a day with multiple crews.

Again, I'm not the only one that has had this issue but just like bad cab mounts, it isn't an every truck issue.

Are the 6.4L tires 10 ply inflated to 80 psi?

Also, how much weight is in the bed?

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I suspect it is the difference in distance from the rear axle to the hitch between the SB and the LB. For the LB, the distance is probably farther causing there to be more weight on the rear axle and more unloading of the front axle (that is why most of us like to use WDH). Plus with the Cummins SB, you already have more weight on the front axle.

I think the CCSB and RCLB are the same overall length. Even if they weren’t the axle to hitch distance is identical on all the trucks, because the extra length is between the axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
Are the 6.4L tires 10 ply inflated to 80 psi?

Also, how much weight is in the bed?

Sometimes. We've tried changing pressure.

But again, I'm running the same tires on the '14.

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine

Could be, we added rear air bags to see if that would help because some have done so and said it did. Not with ours.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
I think the CCSB and RCLB are the same overall length. Even if they weren’t the axle to hitch distance is identical on all the trucks, because the extra length is between the axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger that. I still suspect that the issue is unloading of the front axle. The Cummins truck will have more weight on the front axle.

Also @JD Mark, air bags will just level the truck, they do not move weight to the front axle, the weights on the axles will remain essentially the same.

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
Roger that. I still suspect that the issue is unloading of the front axle. The Cummins truck will have more weight on the front axle.

Also @JD Mark, air bags will just level the truck, they do not move weight to the front axle, the weights on the axles will remain essentially the same.

Yes and no...if it carries the load higher\better, it won't be dragging butt. A little.

I suppose we could throw the plow on it and give it a try. Although, it happens with a loaded or unloaded trailer. If it's unloading the front axle with just some tongue weight, an engineer or 3 needs to be fired.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I guess I should run down to my local train yard now and warn the diesel train engineers, they better be real careful because the coil springs on their trains can't handle big loads and they might derail if they load heavy....

What a crock of bs! That salesman should be embarrassed. Yes as said no issues with coil springs at all on my truck and I've had it loaded heavy already. It was very stable.

I just hate hearing such blatant bs from salesman.

You hit the nail on the head! Too many macho guys running around thinking that coils are only made for cars & light duty trucks. Comical this coming from a Ford guy! :laughing1:They are currently the worst for having the squats with a load on. Just keep an eye out while you are out driving. You will see what I mean. I am not a Ford hater... in fact I think all the big 3 have some really nice trucks out right now. I have been pulling all kinds of different trailers with my 16 Ram 2500 w/6.4 with none of the problems the OP is inquiring about. My latest is a 38' 5th wheel that weighs in at 13,200 loaded. Besides being a little light in the gears it pulls very good. With the trailer hooked up it drops the rear about 2". So basically levels it. OP... you were talking about a diesel 2500. That will pull a 10k trailer around with ease. Don't think you could go wrong with a Chevy 2500 with the Duramax either. Wooops... did that come out of my Mopar loving mouth?!? :shakehead:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
The problem with a 2500 diesel is the payload. You will be around 2100lbs or so for payload depending on the package and options. A 12000lb camper will have about 1000-1500lb tongue weight which won't leave you with much room. If you want to pull a 5th wheel with a 2500 diesel you will likely be over payload.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
The problem with a 2500 diesel is the payload. You will be around 2100lbs or so for payload depending on the package and options. A 12000lb camper will have about 1000-1500lb tongue weight which won't leave you with much room. If you want to pull a 5th wheel with a 2500 diesel you will likely be over payload.

6.4L RULES!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That’s why it’s a good thing that payload doesn’t mean anything as far as the truck’s capabilities or legalities, especially since once you hook up to a trailer you become a combo vehicle.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
drive I-80 west of the Mississippi River. All those delivery trucks are one ton, and many 3.4 ton Rams for the mileage and power. these guys do nothign but tow brand new trailers to dealer lots, for sale, they make their living on spending less money for fuel and repairs and i have yet to see a Ford or Chevy towing anything.

they are all Rams, without exception.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
There is a forum member on here that Hot Shots for a living. He pulls a bumper pull flatbed & states he pulls 12-15,000lbs. everyday. Last I seen he had over 300,000 miles on his 2016 Ram 2500 w/6.4 & 3.73 gears. So far he has not had any "major" repairs to the truck. VERY impressive!

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
drive I-80 west of the Mississippi River. All those delivery trucks are one ton, and many 3.4 ton Rams for the mileage and power. these guys do nothign but tow brand new trailers to dealer lots, for sale, they make their living on spending less money for fuel and repairs and i have yet to see a Ford or Chevy towing anything.

they are all Rams, without exception.

Saw many of those private haulers on I-80 last week mainly from Indiana (RV manufacturers) West. Mainly Rams. Looked into doing that a few years ago and it didn't seem there was much money in it.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
VernDiesel does this with a 1500 ram ecodiesel. I think he's up over 400k on his now. Original 8 speed trans, I think it needed head gaskets at like 350k or something like that.

He posted pictures of his truck a few months back and it still looks good inside and out. Very impressive indeed.

I don't know how well it pays, but it's interesting that's for sure.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Had the 2014 2500 with the coil springs in and thru 2018, Towed a 38' 13k 5th wheel TH. Did elect to go with the Air LIft 5000 air bags. Best move I made. Noticeably reduced the pin shock on the 5'er and kept the ride height at unloaded level. See that pic's and also others on the road that even an inch of drop loaded will raise the headlights and make it more difficult to see in fog and definitely for other approaching drivers. Also will, in the long run, will keep the integrity of the suspension as well. PS, towed over 12k miles through Canada and Alaska on all the roughest roads to the Artic twice and no shock or suspension trouble what so ever. thought that might be one of the ultimate tests of the Ram as well as the air bags. Ran 35# air pressure and had over a 4K pin weight and zero handling problems on curves or high side winds.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Yeah I’m a transporter. We’re contracted with several Mfgrs taking new units from the plants to dealerships. Living close to the Airstream plant in Ohio I start with them and run a lot to west coast dealerships then take another brand or a boat or stack of boat trailers etc for Mfgrs back east. Mostly the transport companies and or hot shot companies use 3/4 tons or larger and require diesels. Fuel down time repairs generally dictate diesel when towing daily towing high drag and or heavy loads for profitability as fuel is the number one expense.

1/2 ton limits me to half ton appropriate loads but their is plenty of them so it’s not been an issue for me. 9,100 pounds being the heaviest I’ve towed. 600,000 miles on my 2014. EGR cooler developed a leak that sent coolant out the pipes which caused overheat that took out a head gasket at 371k but the 8 speed transmission is original and still doing well.

Last edited: