Rear diff rubbing sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snagster123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for info on rear diff rubbing / dragging feeling. It's a 2020 all stock. Ram dealer replaced the carrier but still having the rubbing sensation. This happens at low speed (under 5mph) and especially when turning. Could it be the traction control?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or a brake dragging? Lift the back tires one at a time and spin them by hand and feel if one seems to be dragging. Will need to block off the front tires and place the truck in neutral. The driveshaft will spin with the tire too so it may feel heavy to turn

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If it happens when turning left or right, it could be front wheel bearings. Are you sure it's in the rear? Is it a continuous noise? I had a "womping" sound in the rear end at low speed. Replaced rear wheel bearings, inspected gears, replaced rotors and pads. None of those helped. Ended up replacing u-joint at the rear axle. In my case when I raised the rear end on jackstands and tried spinning the tires by hand, I felt resistance at a certain spot.

OP
OP
S

snagster123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or a brake dragging? Lift the back tires one at a time and spin them by hand and feel if one seems to be dragging. Will need to block off the front tires and place the truck in neutral. The driveshaft will spin with the tire too so it may feel heavy to turn
It feels like a brake dragging, but it goes away once you straighten up and get going. Perhaps the traction control acting up?

OP
OP
S

snagster123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it happens when turning left or right, it could be front wheel bearings. Are you sure it's in the rear? Is it a continuous noise? I had a "womping" sound in the rear end at low speed. Replaced rear wheel bearings, inspected gears, replaced rotors and pads. None of those helped. Ended up replacing u-joint at the rear axle. In my case when I raised the rear end on jackstands and tried spinning the tires by hand, I felt resistance at a certain spot.
Yes.. all from the rear end. Chrysler just put a whole new carrier in the rear to fix the problem but the problem remains.

Lakesofsun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same problem on a 2019 when turning left or right during acceleration. Real bad at the parking garage at the airport. I made a video, you can hear it. Going to dealer tomorrow.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
My 2019 did it to some degree, most notably in reverse turning sharp. I attributed it to the helical LSD operation in the rear. Changing the rear oil improved it but not 100%.

The PW rear diff is unique in that it has both the LSD and locking function.

If you want to read up on it it’s the TracRite GTL from AAM.

Last edited: