rear diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DFL4612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
so ive been noticing some little shaking i guess you could say around 1500-2000 rpm usually from starting off at a light but not all the time. was thinking maybe changing the diff fluid to see if this might relieve this issue but im not to familiar with the gearing and transmission type stuff. can anyone shed some light on this and maybe post a link to how to change the fluid and correct type to use? thank a bunch guys

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You can do it by pulling the drain plug & drain your oil
lots of Youtube videos on the subject

But, if you think that you have a issue with the rear end
I would pull the big cover on the rear differential
You would drain the fluid into a clean container
when the fluid is drained, use shop towels or clean rags to clean out the housing
You will be looking for metal shavings & hopefully there will be no metal chunks.

You will want to jack up the rear end just enough so the tires can rotate
Then you will want to look at all the teeth on the ring gear & check for wear, then check the pinion gear & check for wear
You will also want to check for excess movement

I would not spray anything inside the rear end housing that is not oil based.
Things like Brake Parts Cleaner should not be used, but almost all the repair shops use it if you are not looking.

If you are not familiar with checking out a possible worn rear end
have the family mechanic do it, then you may be able to watch & learn

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I guess you think it is clutch shudder? First thing you could do before you actually change the fluid is buy some lsd additive and drop and ounce or two in just to diagnose. Look up limited slip axle lubricant, any will do. if you don't have limited slip, I'm not sure changing diff fluid is gonna help you, I guess it is worth a shot, a good idea for a 2014 truck anyhow. It is as simple as it gets, even easier then engine oil, just get down there and note two rubber booties, one high and one low. It is best to change warm, so change it after a trip. You take off top boot and then bottom boot and catch the fluid, then simply put on bottom boot and fill til a little comes out the top hole, then put top boot back.

Now, this is not a full flush, if you wish to take it to that level you need to remove the cover and go at inside with brake cleaner and the hole nine as far as cleaning it out. If you use amsoil severe gear, you wont need a pump, most gear fluids require a pump like slippery pete to install fluid. use 75w140 fluid for rear axle if it is a ram 1500.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Differentials don't tend to involve themselves in any kind of thing that could be described as "shaking" when driving in a straight line - or at all if they don't have any LSD clutch preload such as in 2013+ Ram 1500's.

Are you sure it isn't worn control arm bushings or motor mounts or carrier bearing, manifesting itself as a shake under torque? Stick an action cam under there and see what's moving.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so ive been noticing some little shaking i guess you could say around 1500-2000 rpm usually from starting off at a light but not all the time. was thinking maybe changing the diff fluid to see if this might relieve this issue but im not to familiar with the gearing and transmission type stuff. can anyone shed some light on this and maybe post a link to how to change the fluid and correct type to use? thank a bunch guys

Excellent thread with photos.

I have changed the rear differential fluid in my 2014 Ram CrewCab Outdoorsman, 4x4 - it is very easy. Use the fluid recommended by Ram (including the limited slip differential fluid if your differential is that type).

mperryz24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a driveshaft u-joint going bad to me.