Rear differential pinion gear nut remove for 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philip Gao

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi
The nut is like this:
1653411340446.png
it isn't regular nut has six corner, it has 12 corner, the minimal edge is 33mm,
Question, what socket require for this nut?
May I use a 32/33mm 12 corner socket? My six corner socket doesn't work in 32mm, 34mm size
1653411448190.png
Thanks for share your experience!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Meaning you don't want to spend 10 bucks on a 33 mm 12 point? What is a 32/33 socket? That is new to me. You have a 1-5/16ths? Just a guess, but I think a 34 12 point would have a better chance then a 32.

OP
OP
P

Philip Gao

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Meaning you don't want to spend 10 bucks on a 33 mm 12 point? What is a 32/33 socket? That is new to me. You have a 1-5/16ths? Just a guess, but I think a 34 12 point would have a better chance then a 32.
Thank you reply, I'm a new diy, not sure how to do it, confirm it should around 34mm 12 corner socket, should measure it on the store first!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I cant confirm a wrong sized socket would fit, it might, but it might strip it too. If you say the nut is 33mm, I say ok if you say so, I'd try and use a 33. With mm sockets many times a size up will fit ok, depending on how much the bolt is torqued. Smaller sockets might work as well, sometimes it takes a hammer to get them on, but I'd just use the correct size. If you had standard sizing, 1 5/16 would probably fit snug.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That nut is really tight, you need the correct socket - anything else is just asking for trouble.

Technically the nut is not reusable, so buy the new nut and take it with you to get the correct socket.

I hope you have a really big torque wrench too as the pinion nut is usually over 200+ foot lbs.

May I ask exactly why you are removing the pinion nut?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it is indeed 200ftpd and I have no reason to believe different, only use the exact size, and that may not be good enough. Many cheap sockets would like die a pathetic death trying to get 200ft pounds off. Pass in the 1 5/16 if you were thinking about it, I didnt know 200.

Frontbutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never heard of a 12 corner socket. There are 6-point and 12-point, so for this I would recommend a 12-point flank drive socket.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Rear pinion nut is 32mm. according to some sites ?

I have never worked on installing the pinion gear, the CRUSH Sleeve, or the pinion nut
But
i seem to recall that IF you remove the Pinion Nut, you have to do 1 of 2 things.

If you are not changing out the crush sleeve
You mark the pinion nut & the differential housing & count the turns to get the pinion nut off. then tighten the pinion nut the same number of turns & then X number of pounds more

IF you are taking the pinion nut off, because you are changing out the pinion Crush Sleeve, then you would use a torque wrench to tighten the pinion nut to 210 foot pounds

I mentioned the above, because the guy in this video has some good information, but he was doing it incorrectly

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need the correct socket, new nut and a 1/2 Milwaukee impact.

My new nut was different, So I ended up buying 2 different sockets... lol...
It is usually not rec. to use an impact on the pinion nut - though I have also.
The proper way is to hold the flange with special tool and use muscle and/or cheaters to loosen the nut :)

I think the thinking is that impacting can damage the bearing and/or gears.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its bolted to a driveshaft pushing 290hp to that pinion and bearing.

there's literally no way an impact can damage those parts taking them off. The only time you need the tool or a chain wrench is putting it back on.

Crush sleeves are junk, Get a crush sleeve eliminator. and you NEVER reuse a crush sleeve.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm not even sure my dewy can reach 200 ft pound torque bolt, I seriously doubt it would, even the 1/2 inch. Maybe an 8 ft pipe on top of a breaker will getrdone.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree, I have never seen an impact damage anything either - just saying that it was rec. not to use one. Maybe because the flange is often not restrained and the impacting can damage bearings?? Years ago, impact wrenches didn't have the power that they do now days either, so it would usually take some hammering before the nut came loose.

I've used crush sleeves since the 70's so I am not opposed to them. I've never used an eliminator, but it sounds like it would be easier than the sleeve.

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not even sure my dewy can reach 200 ft pound torque bolt, I seriously doubt it would, even the 1/2 inch. Maybe an 8 ft pipe on top of a breaker will getrdone.
The torque spec is the minimum, it can often exceed that. You have to measure the torque it takes to turn the pinion as well as the pinion nut. My Snap on will go to 250 ft/lb. I have often had to go to minimum torque on the pinion nut and then grab the ratchet with the pipe on it to set the preload.
Go to tight (to much preload) and start all over with another sleeve and nut - if using the sleeve.

Last edited:

BadAzp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just did this on my 05 dana 60, on those the oem nut is a 1 5/16ths but the replacement spicer was a 33mm.
Another thing to look at is the inside diameter of the yoke, my replacement spicer was narrower than oem so a standard impact socket wouldn't go down in it deep enough. I had to get a 33mm axle nut as the regular chtome nut was just too big in outside diameter.
And that 1/2 Milwaukie m18 impact is more than enough for it

OP
OP
P

Philip Gao

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That nut is really tight, you need the correct socket - anything else is just asking for trouble.

Technically the nut is not reusable, so buy the new nut and take it with you to get the correct socket.

I hope you have a really big torque wrench too as the pinion nut is usually over 200+ foot lbs.

May I ask exactly why you are removing the pinion nut?
The rear drive shaft U-joint wearing, the pinion seal start to leak, I have to remove this nut to change the seal, thank you!
All the car in Canada, looks like from hell, the salt snow road in each winter make all the nut is difficult to remove :)

OP
OP
P

Philip Gao

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did this on my 05 dana 60, on those the oem nut is a 1 5/16ths but the replacement spicer was a 33mm.
Another thing to look at is the inside diameter of the yoke, my replacement spicer was narrower than oem so a standard impact socket wouldn't go down in it deep enough. I had to get a 33mm axle nut as the regular chtome nut was just too big in outside diameter.
And that 1/2 Milwaukie m18 impact is more than enough for it
I bought a 1 1/8 socket today, it's too small; should read your reply first and then shopping :) the store has 1 1/8 ,?? and 1 1/4, according your experience, the 1 1/4 is still too small, thank you, try this again

OP
OP
P

Philip Gao

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never heard of a 12 corner socket. There are 6-point and 12-point, so for this I would recommend a 12-point flank drive socket.
Sorry mother language is not English, that's what I can use :)
By the way, even if my language, I don't know how to say the key word, I'm a computer engineer learn some diy to prepare the 3rd WW, the day is close ...

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry mother language is not English, that's what I can use :)
By the way, even if my language, I don't know how to say the key word, I'm a computer engineer learn some diy to prepare the 3rd WW, the day is close ...
I love this guy, just trying to make it happen.

Don’t get discouraged, you will get it.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is usually not rec. to use an impact on the pinion nut - though I have also.
The proper way is to hold the flange with special tool and use muscle and/or cheaters to loosen the nut :)

I think the thinking is that impacting can damage the bearing and/or gears.
Think of this::: You drive the truck over, say, railroad tracks under acceleration. What theory is there which correctly states that there is any less punishment put upon the differential components than using an impact to remove the pinion nut? I propose that 46 years of professionally doing this very repair has NEVER wrought any breakage/ damage to gears or other pieces from me using an impact to remove a differential nut. This has been consistently true on twinky little cars up to big trucks for me.