Rear door won't open from inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Hi everyone!
I'm new to the forum and to trucks and Dodge Ram in general. Just bought an 08 Ram 1500 quad cab last week. The driver side rear door will not open from the inside. The outside handle works fine. I removed the handle and the panel. While pulling on the inside handle mechanism I noticed the little latch on the edge of the door only raises halfway while when pulling on the outer handle it raises all the way up. I wasn't sure what to do from there. Any tips?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
That's more than likely the child safety lock, prevents small children from opening the door from the inside

OP
OP
K

Keith08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Well I moved the safety lock up and down with no difference that I noticed.

OP
OP
K

Keith08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Figured it out (I think)! So I ended up bending the wire on the handle mechanism to shorten it. It seems like every time I pull on the handle it stretches the wire which creates a gap in between parts inside the door. This keeps the latch behind the child safety lock from lifting all the way up.

It also turns out that the inside door panel rubs against the door frame when closing. I'm not sure if it's because the door panel isn't sitting correctly or if the door is not sitting on the hinges correctly. It makes the door hard to open from inside because its wedged closed. This might be why the handle got messed up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963