Rear Doors Accent or Halo Lighting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

COtto1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I recently purchased AlfaOBD and got fault number B17A5 which indicates some kind of "Halo Lighting Ground Short" or something along those lines. Googling the fault number returns the following:
Make:
Jeep
Code:
B17A5-11
Definition:
Halo Lamps Control-Circuit Short To Ground
Cause:
  • (M5) Ambient Lamp Driver Circuit Shorted To Ground
  • Left Or Right Map Pocket Lamp
  • Left Or Right Door Handle Lamp
  • Cupholder Lamp
  • Body Control Module (Bcm)
Failure Type:
Circuit Short To Ground
This sub type is used for failures, where the control module measures ground (battery negative) potential for greater than a specified time period or when some other value is expected.​
I had not noticed it before the fault, but I noticed the accent lighting on the lower part of the rear doors is not working. I have 2015 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab. It looks like there is a blue "lighting tube" on each door above the storage cubby. Has anyone else had to troubleshoot these? If so, where do a start? Could it just be a bulb that is out?

OP
OP
C

COtto1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So it looks like there are two "lamps" on both rear doors that are not working. There are two accent lights on the door handles and two above the map pockets. I took one of the door panels off today and found where the two lamps plug in. Could the "Circuit Short To Ground" be caused by one of the lamps being out? If so, I'll find a new lamp, remove door panel again and start plugging in new lamp until I find faulty bulb. Any other things I could try to track down to troubleshoot as well (fuse, etc.)? Last, can someone help me with part numbers of lamps if I need to go down that route?

OP
OP
C

COtto1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
To follow-up further, this seems to definitely be a wiring or electrical issue. I pulled the rear door panels and tested each LED individually. All of them work. Where could I find information on tracing the circuit / ground at this point for the rear door accent lights?